What Makes People Tick?

by Jayne Kopp on January 13, 2011

What Makes People Tick?

What Makes People Tick?

Knowing what makes people tick has a lot to do with success in life and this includes YOU!

When referring to success in life, I’m talking about business success as well as personal goals and achievements and I’d like to point out how the human though process that can either propel you to new heights or ensure your demise.

I have the opportunity of speaking with many people on an almost daily basis who are seeking an internet home based business opportunity – obviously to make some positive changes.

I have come to realize that many of my potential partners, although very capable and intelligent have low self esteem or a negative thought process… and often this holds them back.

I now understand that the apprehension is not based on anything to do with the opportunity… or me, but rather often their own ideas and insecurities based on past experiences.

You see, people, (all of us) want to feel safe. Our accumulations of life experiences engrain ideas and are responsible for a medley of emotions; apprehension, scepticism, excitement and enthusiasm, depending on how various experiences made us feel at the time.

In our industry, it is no secret that many people have had less than positive experiences with online business opportunities, sometimes being misled, or scammed by unscrupulous individuals. Although there are many terrific and promising online business opportunities, many have preformed the perception that everything is painted with the same dark brush.

Further more this ‘lack of confidence’ has us questioning our ability to create our own success and economy. Our reaction is not based on intelligence… but other negative thoughts stored in our subconscious.

These thoughts may be based on a negative from the past; a high school experience, losing a job, a poor interview, failing a grade or any number of disappointments we’ve had. Bad experiences force us to build protection barriers so we don’t have to face pain or the possibility of failure and we allow these impressions to hold us back from possibility of success.

Now, thankfully positive experiences work the same way and have an encouraging impact.

If say for instance, you have fond memories and positive recollections & impressions, you will feel more enthusiastic and hold a greater chance of moving forward. This mindset can take you far in order to achieve your desired goal.

For example: If you had an opportunity to speak at an event your reaction to this opportunity could be positive or negative based on your past.

If you have fond memories of winning a public speaking contest in high school, where the auditorium went wild and cheered you on… you would likely jump at the opportunity with bells on, however, if on the other hand you recalled being ridiculed by your classmates, your first reaction would be to run to the hills.

The human thought process is responsible for other emotions too:

I.e.: Have you ever smelled a scent or perfume and it has reminded you of someone or taken you back to an event years ago? Or… heard a song on the radio that immediately transported you back to a time in your life and made you actually ‘feel’ the same as you did back then?, (happy or otherwise)

Based on our recollections, we will act accordingly…. and either achieve, or not achieve, take chances or give up…. It’s as simple as that.

The bottom line is many people are held back or plough forward based on a lifetime of programming or experiences that have subconsciously cemented our thought process based on the way they made us feel.

Funnily, a child has an excellent chance of achieving goals or accomplishing whatever he or she desires, much easier than that of an adult. A child has no expectations or experiences and a very pure thought process and often will innocently take on a task do quite well. Just look at how kids pick up second languages so easily!

The bottom line is because we, as adults, like to feel safe we would rather forgo the possibility of success rather than face the possibility of pain. In other words we allow our brain to block our success!

Whatever is holding you back or instilling insecurity it’s a good idea to work on your personal development and self growth to change your thought process, to help you achieve the success in life you deserve.

Whether you are promoting a business opportunity, considering taking on, striving to lose weight, training for a marathon… or whatever your goal might be – examine your subconscious.

Understanding what makes people tick is one of the important keys to success in life!

What makes you tick?

Ryan Biddulph January 15, 2011 at 7:29 pm

A powerful post and wonderful reminder that it pays to invest in personal development.

Our successes and failures are rooted in many of the most mundane events. The fears that handcuff us as adults usually originated in a criticism here, an unkind word there, or a general negative situation that arose when we stuck our neck out and tried to succeed as a kid.

These thoughts and feelings must be identified and released or else your mental programming never changes. It takes courage to find out what makes you tick and a great deal of listening to find out what makes other people tick. That’s why personal development is the number one activity for any home based entrepreneur to undertake. You can buy and use all the systems in the world, you can work your behind off but if your mental shop isn’t in order, you fail because you are programmed to fail.

Thanks for sharing your insight Jayne.

RB

Jayne Kopp January 16, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Hi Ryan, thanks for the comment. Yes we are complex little beings… and should all immerse in personal development. I love what you said and might quote you in an upcoming blog post

“you can work your behind off but if your mental shop isn’t in order, you fail because you are programmed to fail”.

so true! Thanks Ryan.

Liz January 13, 2011 at 6:43 pm

We are all a product of our experiences, unfortunately some of those experiences are bad.

I heard a quote one time, can’t remember who said it, but it goes like this:

“When you change the way you look at things and the things you look at change.”

I thought that was so true, I’ve tried it and it works for me.

Thanks for such an insightful post.

Liz :-)

Jayne Kopp January 13, 2011 at 7:14 pm

HI Liz, thanks for stopping to comment. That is an excellent quote and I believe I too have heard it. I try to choose to believe that negative experiences make us stronger and while I am not “always” sure that everything happens for a reason… I try to look for the silver lining. Thanks so much for coming! I’ll be over to visit you soon too. ~Jayne~

Oliver Tausend January 13, 2011 at 2:47 pm

an absolutely thoughtful and powerful post. Most people don’t suffer from too much faith and self-confidence, but fromlack of it.

This is one of the reason why we stress the importance of personal development in our team. PD is necessary to overcome one’s self-limiting beliefs.

We have to learn how to use our subconscious mind properly that only wants to avoid pain or have joy.

Thanks for sharing your insights.

Jayne Kopp January 13, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Oliver – I agree wholeheartedly, personal development is SO important and even more so as we mature and have more of those experiences behind us. We do indeed need to train our brains and attract more of what we want and less of what we don’t. see you soon! ~Jayne~

Heather C Stephens January 13, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Great post! I think there is a definite imprinting time in our lives when our beliefs are etched into our brains, good and bad. Some of my beliefs have helped me tremendously, so me not so much.

My dad’s always taught me that if someone else could fix something, I could too. He and my mom taught me things like how to change my own oil, to rewire a house, to make wine, and to love reading. These things have served me so well in life.

But an experience in high school where I caught the home-ec oven on fire and evacuated the whole school, led me to believe (and live out the belief) that I’m a horrible cook. How is cooking really any different than any of these other “skills” I’m confident in? It’s not, my belief about it is the difference.

Thanks for making me think with this post!

Heather

Jayne Kopp January 13, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Heather, I am so glad I made you thing… even more than you already do!!(lol). I truly believe it’s an important point and can serve us all well. It’s a shame that we allow our past to haunt us. I do believe that by recognizing these issues is helpful.

Regarding your cooking… I’d be willing to bet you’d make a terrific flambe!

Thanks for stopping heather. ~Jayne~

Christina January 13, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Great post Jayne,
Our thought process is on going for me… I try my best everyday to not allow the bad, hurtful thoughts in… allow it does happen at times.
When that happens it brings me down as it does for most everybody…
My brain isn’t blocking me from success any longer, I took a hold of that stuborn (my brain) thing a while back, and said you’re mine… now listen up mister… Christina is in control now!
Thanks… you’re rocking it girl!
Have a great day,
Christina

Jayne Kopp January 13, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Christina, you are normal! It wasn’t until I got a little older that I realized how everyone suffers from the same sorts of issues. We all have disappointments. I am so pleased I became involved in personal development. It helps a great deal for us to realize these things and grow rather than wilt! Indeed you are in control… it would be wonderful for others to learn the same. Best! ~Jayne~