How Do You Like Yourself So Far?

by Jayne Kopp on January 18, 2011

Do you like yourself?

Do You Like Yourself?

Do you like yourself?

This might sound like a bit of a peculiar question… but the more I though about it, the more I had to ask the question!

To be up front, there are a few reasons I’m prompted to write on this topic; they are as follows:

I truly believe that a lot of success rides on how much you like yourself. I’m not talking about being pompous, conceited or big headed (at all); but if you’re striving to make changes or achieve goals, personal belief in your abilities and value can carry you far.

For many of us in the online network marketing industry, personal development and implementing the law of attraction is essential, and if you don’t like yourself it’s doubtful you’ll be positively driven not to mention have the ability to send the right vibration. On further thought… the same goes regardless of industry or situation in life.

Secondly, I also had the urge to write on this topic due to participating in the proveit2011 challenge and admittedly I’m almost inclined to turn just about everything into a blog post…it’s just the way I roll these days! Today the light bulb moment was while sorting some old files; I came across a poem I was taught by my grade seven teacher “Mrs. Clark”.

The funny thing is… I never forgot this poem and I can clearly remember her telling us how to be conscience free and the importance of actually liking yourself.

I truly admire my teachers’ insight for teaching it to us. She’d probably be thrilled if she knew the impact of this poem as well as many of the other things she did to make a difference in our young lives – not to mention the fact that I have hung on to it all these years.

This Poem is is an oldie – but a goodie… and I think that if we can all ‘try’ to live by it, ‘liking yourself’ could be a whole lot easier. Here it is:

Myself: (Edgar A Guest)

I have to live with myself and so
I want to be fit for myself to know.
I want to be able as days go by,
always to look myself straight in the eye;
I don’t want to stand with the setting sun
and hate myself for the things I have done.
I don’t want to keep on a closet shelf
a lot of secrets about myself
and fool myself as I come and go
into thinking no one else will ever know
the kind of person I really am,
I don’t want to dress up myself in sham.
I want to go out with my head erect
I want to deserve all men’s respect;
but here in the struggle for fame and wealth
I want to be able to like myself.
I don’t want to look at myself and know that
I am bluster and bluff and empty show.
I never can hide myself from me;
I see what others may never see;
I know what others may never know,
I never can fool myself and so,
whatever happens I want to be
self respecting and conscience free.

I find this poem so inspirational and sets a very good example of living well.

With that said, I know from experience, it’s a pretty tall order … and it’s not always easy to be proud of our actions and actually like ourselves all the time.

I for one, have fallen short on a few occasions and sat in the setting sun beating myself up for the things I’ve done! Sometimes I’ve felt like kicking my own backside around the block and back! :-(

I have discovered by meeting new people, there are not too many who haven’t dropped at least one almighty clanger during the journey through life; sadly however, I have met so many who can’t let go.

I was one of them for a while to be honest, due to the standards and morals I’ve set – only to fall short. Thankfully I came to grips with the fact that you can’t change the past and we can only do our best to look at any shortfalls or regrets as opportunities for improvement … rather than boat anchors.

Being in the personal development industry has helped me realize many things… but also to go a little easier on myself… and encourage others to do the same.

Speaking of others, as an internet marketer … I’ve met many awesome people from each corner of the world. I have to admit, I always admire those who share some of their less than proud moments with us… it makes them seem more human therefore goes a long way in relationship building….and… I don’t feel so lonely!! :-)

Bottom line here… I’m not suggesting you’re not cutting the mustard if you can’t say the poem paints your portrait… what I’m suggesting is you/we take can use the poem as a reminder of the right way to be.

If there’s something getting in your way or throwing a spanner in your self esteem, my advice to you is to perhaps use this guideline. Go through the verses and pinpoint the areas you’d like to improve.

On the flip-side I’m sure you will also uncover much of your value and may also remind you of the many things you’re doing right!

Just remember liking yourself is important; not only is it a definite asset to your moral and performance but it shines through positively. After all, if you don’t like you it’s pretty difficult to expect anyone else to!

No related posts.

Peter Fuller MBA January 23, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Hey Jayne

Thanks for such an inspirational post.

And I do like myself :)

Peter
Peter Fuller MBA recently posted..What a Deal- 10 Bucks just for Reading Today’s Blog PostMy Profile

Lisa January 19, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Jayne:

I know I say this all the time…but I just love coming here! This is the year i decided I am going to like myself…regardless of the world. A lot easier said then done I might add! But, Im workin on it.

Lisa
Lisa recently posted..Stop Buying Link Building e-BooksMy Profile

Jayne Kopp January 19, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Hey Lisa… That is so awesome that you like to come and see me. I have to say I love to have you here also!

I think you should like yourself, I think you’re awesome and probably always have been! I am glad you are working on your own thoughts though because I know we sometimes create or fabricate false feelings… and it does us no good whatsoever! Keep up the good work! I will come and see you soon!

rowenabolo January 19, 2011 at 3:04 am

I love this post. It’s a coincidence that I just finished watching a Joyce Meyer segment, and the topic was about “making peace with oneself”. It’s the only way we can make peace with others. The poem is so true, and I like the line “I never can hide myself from me.” What a pathetic life if one cannot learn to like him/herself because he/she is “always” with him/herself.

It’s funny how many of us are our own worst critics, and so we have to commit not to say negative things about ourselves, and just zip our lips during these times. Thanks for sharing the wonderful poem.

-Rowena
rowenabolo recently posted..Why You Should Be An Entrepreneur Despite Your Family and FriendsMy Profile

Jayne Kopp January 19, 2011 at 11:22 am

Hi Rowena! That is a coincidence!

We can never hide ourselves from ourselves! That is why it’s better to walk the line and be true to ourselves first and foremost – that way we will not have a reason to feel any inner negativity. Thanks for your comment!

Christina January 18, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Hi Jayne, Thanks so much for sharing this with us…you are completely right about loving ourselves, such a tough thing for so many people. I know this post is going to help a lot of people see through loving themselves so many great things can happen…. LOVED THE POEM! I never heard that one before, so thanks for sharing. What a special teacher Jayne, to have her still bring back those memories, how awesome!
Take care,
Christina
Christina recently posted..“The Clock Of Life”… 20 Words That Can Change Your LifeMy Profile

Jym January 18, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Liking yourself and feelling worthy, deserving , loveable and likeable is a very important foundation for a happy life!

It’s true as well that whatever other people, experiences, places and things come and go in our life, the one thing that is always there is ourselves, so we have to accept ourselves at the deepest level if we don’t want to create extra suffering.

Love the poem, and thanks for sharing such a thoughtful post on this important topic…

Jym
Jym recently posted..From Arizona with Link-Love – My TGC Blog AuditMy Profile

Jayne Kopp January 18, 2011 at 9:39 pm

HI Jym, thanks for stopping by to comment. I really love this poem too… it’s just so true. I am pleased to have learned such an important life skill… even at such a young age.

I think many of us have been through things that have made us look at ourselves closely. Its a lot easier to accept ourselves when we are conscience free. See you soon! Jayne

Oliver Tausend January 18, 2011 at 12:36 pm

that’s powerful stuff. Only if we are able to love ourselves, we will be able to truly love others.

I had to learn to love myself despite my failures and the mistakes I made.

A huge issue for me was to accept that I can’t change the past. Not only that we can’t change the past, we don’t know how our life would look like if we had taken another decision then.

We only believe – in hindsight – that we might have been able to make a better decision – with the information we have today.

Once I was able to stop that “If I had only…”, I was able to love myself with all strenghts and weaknesses and focus on my strenghts.

That doesn’t mean that I don’t have any weak moments, I can tell you…

Great poem, gives me goose bumps, thanks for sharing.

Oliver Tausend recently posted..A Blog Challenge And Nothing But ExcusesMy Profile

Jayne Kopp January 18, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Hi Oliver – I think we all have ‘weak’ moments. It is a growing thing I think and while not always pleasant – hopefully we learn a thing or two. There are a couple of things I truly wish I could change from the past… but the other side of my head knows that if those things did not happen, my life would definitely look much different…. and that isn’t necessary something I’d want.

I’m really glad you enjoyed it. My pleasure to share! Jayne

Heather C Stephens January 18, 2011 at 10:43 am

Beautiful poem! I really think one of the biggest personal development lessons I’ve learned is that the present is the result of choices I’ve made in the past and I can change my future by making different choices today. I want to live life with joy and freedom…and the choices I make today will bring me to that vision!

Keep up the fantastic work. I loved the poem and I plan on showing it to my daughters tonight after school. ;)

Heather
Heather C Stephens recently posted..Beginner Blogger Q and A- Find Free Blog Images and PhotosMy Profile

Jayne Kopp January 18, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Heather, so true… about choices that is. Living with Joy and Freedom comes from liking you and making the right choices. I think this contest was an excellent choice by the way!!

Please do show it to your daughters after school. I think it’s once of the greatest lessons in life to know the importance of being true to yourself and therefore liking yourself. Thanks Heather.

Nelly Paekukui January 18, 2011 at 8:36 am

Wonderful post addressing the fact that we do have to like ourselves in order to be “positively driven not to mention have the ability to send the right vibration” when it comes to interacting with others.

I also appreciate your sharing of that lesson that was learned in the 7th grade which apparently made such an impact to never be forgotten.

Thanks for sharing.

Nelly
Nelly Paekukui recently posted..Generations TimelineMy Profile

Jayne Kopp January 18, 2011 at 10:28 am

Hi Nelly, how nice to see you here. It’s funny how little things make a huge difference ie: my Grade 7 teacher introducing us to this poem and the fact it stuck with me for 30 some-odd years.

I have realized more and more as I get a bit older and experience different things and meet more and more people how important it is to like yourself…and it’s such a shame so many struggle with that – usually for no good reason.

I appreciate you taking the time to stop by and I will pop over and see you soon!
~Jayne~