Starting an Online Business When Your Friends Think You’re Nuts!

by Jayne Kopp on February 1, 2011

Starting an Online Business

Starting an online business – when your friends & family think you’re nuts!

So many aspiring entrepreneurs give up on the idea of starting an online business because they lack the support from family and friends and cant seem to muster up their own personal power to do it anyway.

If you find yourself in this same boat, perhaps now would be a good time to reconsider.

The thing is, it’s not necessarily that your friends and family don’t believe in you, they just don’t understand the industry. After all, there are so many tales of ‘scams’ and rip off artists swirling around the internet, that many haven’t seen the real legitimate possibilities of earning online.

I realize this doesn’t offer much comfort, after all having the blessing from family and friends can make the world of difference to your motivation, but the opinions of others should not have such an impact to the point where you lose faith in yourself either.

Though I have so many awesome friends family to cheer me on… I have also experienced many a raised eyebrow myself. Many sceptics nod in slow motion with a glazed over, blank look.

When I’ve tried to explain what it is I do for a living, it’s often like trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole, so I gave up and decided to let my actions speak louder than words!

I experienced a similar situation back in my teens. At a time when my friends were partying and traveling, I decided to buy a house.

At the age of 18, many of them didn’t believe it would happen but it did.

I can’t say I didn’t envy their carefree living back then, but I’m glad I made the decision, even though it was a tough go…. it paid off bigtime.

I’m only sharing this to make a point that if you set your mind to achieve your goals, no matter how impossible it may seem, anything can happen regardless of the opinions of others.

My best advise to you is not to be discouraged and definitely do not allow this to hold you back from your goals either.

Instead of focusing on what others think, and trying to explain what you do, it is better to just plough ahead. It’s no use trying to gain the approval of people who just can’t wrap their heads around it.

If you’re considering starting an online business, you obviously know the power and potential of the internet, and the reason you want to get started and have the inner desire to make it happen. That really is all that matters.

After all, if working online was not worthwhile nobody would be doing it.

You’ve probably heard people say, you should associate with like minded individuals and there is a very good reason for that.

I’m not suggesting you should abandon ship on your friends and family, but if you can’t find these like minded individuals offline, it might be time to get online and start networking with others who have the same aspirations.

There’s a tremendous amount of support available on the internet that will keep your spirits high. We all get where each other is coming from, offer assistance and advice… and know each others “why”.

It’s important to remember also that the best rewards in life come from personal accomplishments.

Sometimes to achieve these accomplishments you have to break free from the status quo in order to open the door to a new way of life and a plethora of possibilities.

If you allow what others think to hold you back, you’ll never know what might have been.

It might be time to toughen up and march to the beat of your own drum. Step outside of the dotted line and take personal responsibility for your own actions and outcome.

Have faith in yourself and discover your personal power. Never let others hold you back.

There is absolutely no reason why you cannot carve out a comfortable living and anew way of life even if you have to fly solo!

Bojan March 15, 2011 at 6:18 pm

If someone doesn’t have the courage to stand up for himself, maybe starting up any kind of business isn’t the right thing for him.

If it’s too much pain for someone to leave his comfort zone and just jump with both feet into water, is he worth achieving at all?

Those are just my 2 cents…

Jayne Kopp March 15, 2011 at 6:34 pm

HI Bojan, Thanks for stopping by to leave your 2 cents! ;-)

I personally DO think that everybody is ‘worth’ it, however you are right in that a person does need to toughen up.

Some people for sure may not be able to handle it, but others need to tweak their confidence and sometimes it isn’t as difficult as it may seem. Sometimes it takes someone else to help them get there and that’s what I do a lot of.

Many people gain courage by being told the truth. I have had many partners start off in the same position because for the first time in their lives they decided to jump in. It was only after making the first move that they then started to see incredible results.

Its a shame that some people have never taken on the opportunity to prove themselves, but I believe it’s never too late!

Thanks again for your thoughtful comment!

Best regards,

Kisane February 2, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Wow, bought a house at 18 – that’s fantastic and very unusual I’d say! Just goes to prove your motivation and focus!

I’m at the opposite end of the age continuum to you and so I don’t meet too many people of my age in my daily offline life that are doing what I’m doing. That is why it is so vital for me to stay in touch with all the wonderful people I’ve met online, who share my vision and understand the challenges I face.

This is a very motivational post – thank you Jayne :-)

Kisane

Jayne Kopp February 2, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Hi Kisane, thanks for stopping by and leaving such a great comment. I’m not certain we are too far apart age wise :-) I was later getting into this industry as well. It’s an interesting career for sure and I’ve sure seen a change of attitude as I’ve progressed which is a good thing… but it’s a tough go when nobody get’s it. I am so thankful for my growing circle of online friends. it is as you say, wonderful! Thanks – ~Jayne~

Golda Smith February 2, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Hi Jayne! Interesting that you mention this, I hardly talk in detail with my family about what I’m doing. My mother is a great supporter but the rest of my siblings just get it and I don’t have the energy to deal with their negativity and doubts.

Of course when they see the physical manifestations of my work, the doubts will stop. Until then, I will remain focused ;-)

Golda

Jayne Kopp February 2, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Hi Golda, absolutely stay focused. Even today, (tonight actually) trying to explain a few things felt like as I’d mentioned trying to hammer the square peg into the round hole… but not like it used to be. As you progress people will start to ‘get it’… but until then you’ve got us!!! :-) Thanks Golda!

Stacy February 2, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Great points, Jayne! Especially remembering our “why” – if we lose track of that we will lose our focus and get sucked into what others are saying.

Thanks,

Jayne Kopp February 2, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Hi Stacy, the “why” us SO important to keep the fuel on our fire. We know what we are capable of and we see it before our eyes. It’s a wonderful experience and its their loss if they can’t step out and walk on the wild side in life! :-) Thanks Stacy!

Jym @ Millionaire Mind Seminar Review February 2, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Very important stuff Jayne!

Never let the limited views of others hold you back, no matter who they may be. It’s hard enough already to set yourself up with your own business, and break out of the mindsets and patterns which we’ve been encouraged to believe are ‘normal’

No need to make it any harder by spending any time or energy on those who see the opportunities in this industry through the eyes of insecurity and fear. When it’s our family, I guess we just have to negotiate some space to do what we need and ask them to trust and support us as much as they can. After all, their ideas have got them as far as they are right now, if we want to reach for further financial freedom, we have to take a different approach to them…

Thanks for sharing, I wish more partners and friends of Network Marketers would read this post!

Jym

Jayne Kopp February 2, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Hi Jym, thanks so much for the awesome comment. You said it all. We cannot rely on the negativity of others and as long as our families can put up with us :-) it’s all we can ask. It’s nice when the change starts to occur but in the meantime, we just have to keep our noses to the grind! Thanks Jym!

sheenaprailleau February 1, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Great points many times I will not even share some of my ideas with mine because they can be dream stealer.

Jayne Kopp February 2, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Hi Sheena, unfortunately sometimes it is easier to keep your thoughts to yourself when you are around those who don’t understand otherwise it can bring you down. I realized a long time ago that occasionally we have to let our actions speak rather than our words. Its funny though because often our peers say “why didn’t you tell me you were doing….” LOL Thanks for stopping by!

Liz February 1, 2011 at 7:08 pm

So true, you just have to keep pressing on. Never, never let others hold you back or worry about what they think.

Great post for inspiration, and we all need some of it now and then :-)

Jayne Kopp February 2, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Hi Liz, pressing on is the only way to go. We have to be responsible for our own actions, not the thoughts of others! Thanks Liz!