How Clear are Your Goals?

by Jayne Kopp on February 9, 2011

Clear Goals

Clear Goals or Fuzzy Dream?

I’m sure we can all agree that goals are a very important part of life. Without them, we’d never have anything to strive for, we would never progress and life just wouldn’t have the same spark.

However, with that said… if I were to ask you about yours, could you be crystal clear?

You’ve probably heard the saying “a goal is just a dream with a deadline” and it’s very true.

The problem is it can be hard to turn dreams to goals. Living in our fast paced world we are pulled in a medley of directions and our goals reside only in our minds and can eventually if we’re not careful fade into the back ground.

What’s more is that overtime our goals, have way of shifting. Things seem to evolve and sometime dissolve… along with our daily lives, so taking the time to tweak and modify is essential to keeping them real.

Some of my goals have shifted also. Not necessarily because I haven’t take the time to work towards them all, but new opportunities have presented themselves and my needs have changed and life has altered.

For example, when I became an internet entrepreneur three years ago, my only focus was to market my business opportunity.

While I’m equally as passionate and thoroughly enjoy it, my horizons have broadened.

Instead of placing my eggs in one basket, I have added a Life Coaching certification to my list of tasks to complete which has modified where I am opposed to where I thought I’d be.

Because of these changes, some things have fallen by the wayside but new ideas have also developed. In any event, life is different than I envisioned.

I’ve added Blogging to my list of to do’s as I now understand the benefits, where before I didn’t …and focused solely on my website.

Some goals I set last year and haven’t revisited lost their zest and I realized over time that I had it wrong… but there are others I wished I had worked on.

The point is that by not focusing on your goals each and every day, they’re nothing more than a mere figment of our imagination and it’s easy to lose both site and traction and sometimes good ideas slip away.

Taking the time to bond with your goal will rejuvenate your enthusiasm and keep it at the forefront of your mind. The constant reminder will keep it alive and there is a greater chance you will be motivated to take action.

Soon you will find that by accomplishing even one or two tasks per day you will stay focused, make progress and your fuzzy dream will be a clear goal that you will eventually turn to fruition.

Vivek Parmar February 17, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Until and unless your goals are not cleared then you cannot do anything. It is necessary to stay focus on your goals all time so that you can get as much as you can and achieve new heights

Jayne Kopp February 17, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Hi Vivek, how nice to see you here. You are right, without clarity, there is only fog, but with clarity you always know exactly what you are working towards. Thanks for taking the time to comment. ~Jayne~

Steve Nicholas February 15, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Great post, Jayne! I think that we always have to remember that there is a balance when it comes to goals. We should continue to press toward our goals, but you are so right that there are times when goals change. I know that if someone would have told me what my life would’ve looked like 10 or 15 years from now, I would’ve had a good laugh. It’s the balance between having a vision and being open that is vital.

Walter February 13, 2011 at 5:28 pm

I have realized that materializing our goals is really a test of character. Without the right attitude, goals are nothing more that just a dream. :-)

Jayne Kopp February 13, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Hey Walter! Bingo! I’m glad you said that because we are definitely on the same wavelength. We definitely have to get involved with them… and if we do wonderful things can happen! Thanks Walter for taking the time to come by! Jayne

Janette Stoll February 10, 2011 at 9:09 am

Great advice on making your goals intentional and connecting with them daily. You really do have to think about it and keep them at the forefront of your priorities.

It’s easy to forget and not tend to them. I also think focusing on a few goals at a time keeps it manageable instead of trying to accomplish 10 different goals all at one time.

Nice post!

Janette Stoll

Jayne Kopp February 10, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Hi Janette, lovely to meet you. It is easy to forget about your goals and if you allow that to happen in a weird way they seem to lose their importance… or perhaps we just lose our zest. I agree with you that focusing on a few things at a time is much better than taking on too much. Too much can only result in less productivity.
Thanks for leaving such a great comment and adding to the post. ~Jayne~

Steve Nicholas February 10, 2011 at 7:20 am

Great post, Jayne! I’ve noticed that there are times when goals change and expand or disappear. I think that this is something that must happen sometimes, but the real secret is to know why a goal changes to determine whether it is just a temporary desire to quit or a reflection of other things that have become more important over time. Sometimes, it is necessary to realize what our goals are not before we can realize what they are.

Jayne Kopp February 12, 2011 at 12:51 am

HI Steve, I agree. We should know why we change our goals, not just drop one or change it ‘just because’….
Thanks for taking the time to comment. It’s always a pleasure to see you. Jayne

Jym @ MLM Lead Generation February 10, 2011 at 3:46 am

So true Jayne.

Keeping our eyes on our goals is crucial, especially since they change as we grow and move in new directions.

Whilst it’s important to stay focused on the goals we have, we should be open to allowing them to grow and develop as well.
After all, we aren’t static entities!

Thanks for sharing,

Jym

Jayne Kopp February 12, 2011 at 12:48 am

Hey Jym, great to have you back… it felt kinda quiet without you. You’re right about goals, its as important to visit them to keep them alive as it is to tweak and adjust. Thanks Jym for stopping by. I hope you enjoyed your break!

Oliver Tausend February 10, 2011 at 1:19 am

most personal development programmes start with goal setting. I learned an interesting point of view from Noah St. John’s book “The Secret Code Of Success”. He says that we are asking our biggest enemy about our potential when we start with goal setting – ourselves.

Thanks for sharing your insights.

Jayne Kopp February 12, 2011 at 12:53 am

HI Oliver… that’s sure an interesting take. I guess we in a way do set ourselves up for a challenge… and there’s only one person to truly be accountable to.

I have never read the book but will add it to my long list of must reads.
Thanks for the comment Oliver. See you soon!

Lisa February 9, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Jayne:

“Taking the time to bond with your goal will rejuvenate your enthusiasm and keep it at the forefront of your mind.”

Jayne, that is fabulous! And so very true. I have started to realize that baby steps are just as important as the giant leaps. I am learning to delight in the easy progressions.

Lisa

Jayne Kopp February 9, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Lisa, SO FUNNY… I was just on your blog and you were on mine! Thanks for visiting. I hope you got my drift. I’m suffering from a bad case of illiteracy these days… so I’m hoping I wasn’t too choppy. I totally realized recently how things shift and if we don’t revisit and take those baby steps you mentioned the big steps definitely don’t happen! Nice to see you and thanks for your great comment!

Martin February 9, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Interesting post Jayne,
I must say that my goals shift and change as well.
Although there are some that never waver.
Probably because they have become habits, such as quiet time in the morning, date with my wife each week, and so on…
But I can sure relate with what you said about business goals shifting and growing and what not.

Martin

Jayne Kopp February 9, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Hi Martin, thanks for leaving such a great comment. I tend to agree with you. Your good ‘habits’ were probably goals at one time or another that you have put into practice and now they are part of your regular routine. Business goals are different because there are so many new opportunities for improvement. Thanks again Martin. See you soon!