What Does Valentines Day Mean to You?

by Jayne Kopp on February 14, 2011

What Does Valentines Day Mean to You?

We traditionally celebrate Valentines Day by exchanging teddy bears, roses and heart shaped chocolates, but did you know the true meaning of Valentines Day is related to a pagan fertility festival and a young Christian martyr who chose die rather cease sharing his faith?

I’m sure glad that to day we have a happier view of this day and feel it’s a great time to focus on the human heart and its infinite capacity to love.

It’s also important to remember though, that while it’s an exciting day for love bitten couples to express themselves, there are many feeling sad and lonely.

Having been in that same position after a failed marriage a few years ago, I still have bittersweet memories of valentine’s days gone by, so today I like to be a little more inclusive and reflect on the importance of loving in general and the many blessings I have to be thankful for.

Although it’s fun and adds excitement, I no longer feel it’s necessary to fly around looking for that perfect overpriced gift. Instead I like to focus on gratitude for those who enrich my life, and even those from the past who have helped mold me into who I am today.

Although I celebrate the excitement of Valentines Day with my children by helping them make cards for their classmates, my personal needs are now much simpler.

I’d just as soon be kissed by the chocolaty mouth of one of my kids and receive meaningful hugs from my hubby and friends.

Since I’ve experienced more of life I realize the power of the human heart and its amazing capacity for love and how important it is to embrace.

I appreciate now more than every that love is one of Gods greatest free gifts and should be shared regardless of the day, romantically or not and even how beneficial it is to love even those who may not love you back.

If you are taking the time to pamper your significant other, I hope you are enjoying the day to the fullest.

If you find yourself feeling lonely today, perhaps this uplifting movie May You Be Blessed might give you the comfort you need to realize that though you may not feel it, you are loved beyond measure.

Regardless of your situation, it’s important to share and receive love each and every day. It’s the healthiest of emotions; it helps you grow when you need a boost, and picks you up when you’re feeling down and best of all its as good for your health as vitamins!

Though Valentines Day is a wonderful way to send sparks and share our love wouldn’t if be nice if we shared it with such vigour each and every day?

Remember love lasts, but true love lasts for ever as demonstrated by a young man who died for the love of his faith, yet still helps us celebrate today.

With that said, Happy Valentines Day to my parents, Peter and Pauline, my children Rosie and Joe, my significant other Johnny, my Prove It Posse, countless online friends, and of course my cherished offline friends both in the present and from the past.

Know you are loved and I am grateful you are in my life every single day. Happy Valentines Day to all.

No related posts.

Vivek Parmar February 17, 2011 at 5:16 pm

nothing more than that another working day. As all days are then why we need a special day for romance and show love to loved ones??
Vivek Parmar recently posted..Hostgator Valentine Day Discount Coupon Code- VALENTINEMONDAYMy Profile

Jayne Kopp February 17, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Hi Vivek, we should express our love every day. Life is way too short not to. Thank you for your awesome comment! ~Jayne~

rowena bolo February 15, 2011 at 2:44 am

Glad to know that you enjoyed Valentine’s celebration with your kids.

My hubby and I usually have a pre-valentine date celebration, so as to avoid crowded restaurants. Yes, it’s very commercial, and of course flowers are much more expensive! hehe

I love the movie you shared here. And I definitely like what you said about being grateful to God for his wonderful gift of love. Thanks for this post.

- Rowena
rowena bolo recently posted..Funny But Amazing Facts That Entrepreneurial Couples Should KnowMy Profile

Jayne Kopp February 15, 2011 at 9:02 am

Hey Rowena, thanks for the comment. Beating the crowds is definitely a bonus! Valentines Day is fun for the kids, and it’s a nice time to recognize each other, but we never do too much out of the ordinary. We went for Pizza with the kids last night, but we are planning to go out this weekend for a nice dinner. Hope you enjoyed your pre dinner. And, yes… the movie is one of my faves! I used to cry each time I watched it! :-)

April Williams February 14, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Valentine’s Day has never been that big of a deal to me. I always viewed it as a day where florists sold overpriced flowers. Holidays are becoming so commercial, even Christmas. The meaning of holidays are getting lost in all the retail hype.

This year my husband gave me a thoughtful card and my son and I made red hearts from construction paper and we took turns writing something nice about my hubby. We taped them all over the house and he went around collecting and reading all the nice things we thanked him for.

Thank you for reminding us to focus on what is important. Happy Valentine’s Day Jayne!!

xoxoxo,
April

Jayne Kopp February 15, 2011 at 10:10 am

April, what a wonderfully creative way to show your appreciation. I agree wholeheartedly that many of our holidays are spoiled by hype. Goodness, as soon as school is in, the stores have Halloween Candy out, as soon as that’s away, Christmas, then immediately after the Christmas Decorations come down, Valentines, I bet if I go to the store today, Easter will be on it’s way. The world we live in is not very conducive to enjoying the moment and in my opinion it spoils it. We should embrace our loved ones daily. Sometimes, we have to remind ourselves though. Thanks for dropping by.

karlene February 14, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Oh Jayne…
Thank-you so much for your words of encouragement!! Today I have been missing my hubby so much which as you may recall him being on the road is my compelling “why”!! Anyway, its been an emotional melt down for me and I am finally realizing I need to focus more on loving myself so that I have more to give effectively to those I love!! The words of your entire post just hit me with a thud between my eyes and helped me to realize that I have so many blessings to count and so much love surrounding me that there really is a rainbow waiting to show itself after this storm!!!
Sometimes I wonder if I haven’t grieved enough when losing our grandson which was our daughters first child as well as our first grandchild but I continually told myself I must be strong for everyone else! But I am finding this is not the case! Maybe I will write a post about this sometime!
Anyway, thanks again for sharing and making my day!! And Happy Valentines Day to you!:)

Karlene

Jayne Kopp February 15, 2011 at 10:13 am

Aw, Karlene, you and your hubby are an inspiration.

I am glad you were touched by the post, sometimes certain things just ‘get’ you in a certain way.

I am so sorry for the loss of your grandson. Being strong is a good thing, but it’s important to grieve too and let it out… I am sure you have.

this journey called ‘life’ is a learning process. Sometimes things get put before us and we are left to discover all sorts of things we never expected.

I’m holding you up in thought and prayer Karlene. Stay close to your loved ones as I can see you are. Take care! Jayne

Stacy February 14, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I have always thought of Valentine’s Days as a “Hallmark” holiday, invented for the purpose of purchasing cards! Though that isn’t too far from the truth, only at Christmas are more cards given.

I like the story about St. Valentine, I had heard it before and then again yesterday at church.

I agree with you that helping kids celebrate the day is a lot of fun. They really get into it and they are so sweet!

Thanks,
Stacy recently posted..Feeling Lonely On FacebookMy Profile

Jayne Kopp February 14, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Hi Stacy, Its very true that Hallmark benefits more than anyone!! Its very commercial isn’t it?

The kids do love it though so its nice to help them with their crafts, etc. It also gets them into the spirit of giving and makes them feel proud.

Its nice to go out occasionally and celebrate… but I’m really not bothered these days.

we are going for pizza tonight… again for the kids! :-)

BTW… is my site incredibly slow to load? It sure is on my computer… but it could be my system… or I am in Dire need of Devesh to fix a few things!