Having a Pity Party? Allow Me to Kick Your Butt!

by Jayne Kopp on March 13, 2011

self pity, pity party

How often do you find yourself wallowing in your private self pity party?

Most of us do it regularly and don’t even realize it.

Sometimes, the daftest things can make us feel sorry for ourselves: the kids spilled juice, its raining but I want to garden, the computers slow and I’m in a hurry; the the internet connection is down, I broke a nail, have so much to do, I’m stuck on something, hubby’s late, and on and on plays the violin…

Then we sulk and pour our energy into focusing what we think isn’t going the way we think it should, instead of paying attention to everything that is so right!

Rather than to allow these frivolous things to put our noses out of joint and tempt us to wallow in self pity; what we really need is a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!

I thought I’d share this video from Nick Vujicic in hopes that it might be the vehicle to do just that ( ;-) ) and help each of us count our blessings.

Nick is an incredibly inspirational human who is not only positive, strong and has an uncanny perspective on life, he is also an unbeatable example of knowing what’s important and how life should be lived.

Even though he doesn’t have what most of us take for granted…. he make the best of everything and lives life to the fullest!

So after watching Nick, doesn’t it make you want to put yourself over your own knee?

The point is, we spend so much time complaining about what we don’t have instead of focusing on everything we do!

The truth is none of us are perfect and we all drift in and out of perspective.

Our human condition is badly in need of personal development and continuous practice to shape our minds. Thankfully, most of us do realize our shortfalls, but seeing these types of examples keeps us in check.

The point is, everything is what we make of it. We can “Choose” contentment and to live a great life, or we can “choose” not to!

I’m hoping movie had the same effect on you as it has on me. I think it’s healthy to be reminded of everything we have to be grateful for and to not take our many blessings for granted.

I am sure you’ll agree that this really is one of those posts that needs nothing more than the video to get the point across, never-the-less – I couldn’t resist to share my own two-bits! :-)

Next time you’re hosting a pity party, do yourself a favour and think of Nick, then focus on the things you are blessed with and what’s right with every detail of your life, opposed to what you sometimes think isn’t!

I know you can do nothing other than agree, but I’d love you to vocalize your thoughts below and share this post on your social networks!

Stephen Gemmell March 15, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Hi Jayne, I will be eternally grateful that you have shared this incredible video. To be honest, and this doesn’t happen to me very often, I am lost for words. Thank you, Stephen

Jayne Kopp March 15, 2011 at 2:28 pm

HI Stephen, first of all, I would like to thank you for stopping by and share that I am very pleased to meet you! :-)

Regarding the post and video… I know what you’re saying (or not saying since you are lost for words!).

Meeting people like Nick really makes you stop and think doesn’t it? You don’t know whether to feel sorry, or feel SO blessed that we have him and that he has this absolutely incredible attitude. I am sure he is on earth to slap us back to reality (or kick our bottoms… which ever comes first!).

I am so pleased you found value. Please watch this video often. I know I do and it’s a real perspective shifter!

I’ll head over to see you at your blog later on after I pick my kids up and get them settled! Have a wonderful day!

Steve Nicholas March 14, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Great post, Jayne! I’m reminded of what Jim Rohn said, “Don’t wish life were easy; wish that you were better.” It’s always a good reminder to see others who don’t let life get in the way of their dreams.

Jayne Kopp March 15, 2011 at 11:46 am

HI Steve, It is so refreshing to see the way others handle things isn’t it. Many times we can be put to shame. ( :-( )

BTW… I received your message about Beagles being a favorite breed. They are so very cute. I wish my springer spaniel had the same effect! LOL

Ryan Biddulph March 14, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Super inspiration here.

Nick V has to be one of the most high energy people on earth. When I am feeling down or feeling low energy I watch the video. A nice kick in the pants ;)

Thanks for sharing!

RB

Jayne Kopp March 14, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Hey Ryan, great to see you over here. I think we “slide” by each other often … I’ll take the time to pop by to see you I loved the post about listening and absorbing the other day… still thinking about it! :-)

Yes Nick is truly an amazing individual. There’s a guy who’s just making the best of everything like we all should… but ‘wow’….. no words necessary hey?

Lovely to see you… sorry I didn’t respond sooner… only logged in a few moments ago… it’s been a nutty busy day!

See you soon!

Rowena Bolo March 14, 2011 at 12:43 am

Yet another wonderful reminder from you. I can honestly admit that a ‘pity party’ is just plainly being selfish. I easily get frustrated especially when things don’t go as planned. I know that because of this, my loved ones suffer (most especially my hubby :( )…But don’t scold me yet (hehe), as I am truly trying to fight this attitude! There may be delays (I become upset for a little while, and finally get back to my senses :) ), but these delays (I’m happy to say), are becoming shorter and shorter (and the goal of course is to not sweat the small stuff!)…

I love Nick’s inspiring story. Thanks for sharing this :-)

~Rowena

Jayne Kopp March 14, 2011 at 9:30 am

HI Rowena, is it not the truth how daft we can get sometimes.

I, like you have a much better perspective, however these positive adjustments need continuous work and improvement. Its a process!

Thanks for stopping, I always enjoy seeing your smiling face!

oh yes, Nicks story is incredible. What a fantastic human being!

Thanks

April Williams March 13, 2011 at 7:40 pm

This is so powerful Jayne! It’s hard not to get caught up in our own self “wants” and “don’t haves” instead of just being grateful for what we do have and being satisfied that it’s enough.

The last job that I worked I was surrounded by spoiled people who had money and not only felt that they were entitled to special treatment and that they rules did not apply to them but I was just overwhelmed on a daily basis of how blatantly rude people could be. People that felt it necessary to treat others as though they were beneath them. People that would curse at me because they could not get a reservation by the window over looking the golf course or throw a temper tantrum that they were on the waiting list for a special event and threaten to call the manager.

I just wanted to load those people up in a bus, cart them down to MD Anderson Cancer Center in Downtown Houston and escort them around the halls by their ears and then ask them “Now, do you REALLY have anything to complain about?!” Some people need a serious reality check.

As always, thanks for your inspiring post Jayne!

April

Jayne Kopp March 13, 2011 at 9:43 pm

HI April, I totally get what you are saying.

I live in a fairly affluent town where there are definitely a handful of those types.

I really don’t get it. What or who gives people the right?

If everyone just accepted people and that while we are all different, we are all equally as valuable.

I try my best to teach my kids to always be kinder than necessary as everyone is fighting something.

Funny, I never realized this until I got a bit older. I do know though that I never felt above anyone.

We can always improve and I guess that’s why I like the reminders.

I love that you stopped by and found value in this. I appreciate you sharing your own personal experiences too, and your thoughts of what might be a good perspective shift.

I agree!

See you soon!

Marty March 14, 2011 at 12:57 am

@ April,
Reading your comment here reminds me of a story I heard of an incident at an airport. Somebody who considered himself very important got very indignant when told he was too late for his flight. He said to the lady behind the desk “DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?” The lady behind behind the desk then made a public announcement along the lines of “Urgent assistance required. The gentleman at gate number…. doesn’t know who he is”!

Jayne Kopp March 14, 2011 at 9:31 am

Ha ha, Marty, I heard that one too. I’ve heard similar airport stories bearing colourful adjectives too!

Thanks for popping back!

Marty March 13, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Jayne, this is just so spooky!
I have a blog scheduled for release (in just over an hour from now) that also has Nick Vujicic video on it. In the darkest of times I’ve engaged in that pity party that you mention, but I know that even that there is a need for us to self indulge from time to time, we have the ability to come away from it and celebrate the good things in life.
All emotion is God given. We can choose to use it to move forward.

Jayne Kopp March 13, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Hey Marty, so good to meet you!

I’ll tell you, if I had a nickel for the number of times I have written a post only to discover one so similar that it just doesn’t feel right…. I could run my biz based on that alone!

I can hardly wait to read your post. I will look forward to doing so tonight.

You are right, we have to ‘choose’ to celebrate the good things in life, because there are many things to celebrate. We are only here for a short time… we need to embrace it.

Nick has the right idea. He takes what he has and makes the best. We should learn from him.

Thanks for stopping by!