When is the Right Time to Start a Business?

by Jayne Kopp on March 17, 2011

Waiting for the Right Time to Start a Business

Waiting for the Right Time!

Are you waiting for the right time to start a business?

If so, you might be waiting for a very long time… or worse… the tomorrow you’ve been waiting for, may never come!

The problem is there are always things that crop up in life and keep us busy. Having said that, most of us are busy anyway so waiting for that perfect ‘break’ or quiet time usually doesn’t happen.

If you’ve been to my blog before, I’m sure you will have noticed I’m a huge proponent of living in the moment. Life is so short and we never know what’s around the corner.

With that said, you never know what’s around the corner anyway, and deciding to start a business right now might also mean pleasant personal and financial changes are in store much sooner that anticipated!

One thing is for sure, and that is jumping in and getting started is making good use of the moment is the best thing you can do for yourself as you cannot get ‘time’ back.

Sitting back and waiting is a sheer waste. You can think something to death and it won’t get the show on the road or make one iota of difference in the way of production.

There are many excuses or reasons why people don’t take the plunge. Sometimes it’s due to lack of knowledge. Other times it’s because of limiting beliefs, the fear of failure or worrying too much about about what others might think.

These are only excuses as waiting for the right time isn’t going to improve your knowledge, nor will it boost your confidence.

One of my greatest purposes is to help people get off the couch and get in the game. It frustrates me to see so many people not taking control and becoming the master of their own destiny when they truly want to start a business but never do.

If you REALLY want to do something, you can. You have just as much chance of succeeding as anyone else. The difference is those who seize the moment and jump in and have a head start. Those who ‘wait for the right time’ often never do.

If lack of knowledge is holding you back, join the club! :-) Nobody enters this industry knowing what to do. We all have to develop and learn the necessary skill sets to get the wheels turning.

Yes, there is a lot to learn, but there is a lot to learn in anything we do. Life is a continual lesson. Getting a new job also means you are going to have to expand your knowledge to l earn the ropes and you’ve probably don’t that before!

One thing about deciding to start a business online is that there are so many people who offer great advice and could or would help you if you asked. In the meantime, just start where you are and do what you can.

Another option would be to get involved or start working with a coach to guide you and keep you focused.

If money is an issue and seems to be what is holding you back, there are many low cost business options available to you.

With that said, ‘money being an issue’ is a bit of an oxymoron. If you think about it, starting a business might just solve this problem much quicker than waiting for the right time. (So to speak).

If there’s one thing I have always known is that there is no time like the present.

I started in this industry about three years ago knowing nothing other than how to send and receive emails and of course surf the web.

I wasn’t really sure if the time was right either, but I also knew that ‘right time’ may never present itself.

Three years later, and I couldn’t be happier.

Furthermore, I decided to hire a coach recently just to get me to the next level and hold me accountable. Seems like a funny thing since I’m a coach myself… but sometimes we all need a kick in the butt.

My coach has a saying that I just might adopt for myself. He says “you don’t have to get it right, you just have to get it going”.

If you’ve been pondering making changes and you’d like to start a business, don’t wait till the time is right. Pick up the phone or contact me and let me get you going!

The right time to start a business is NOW!

What are your thoughts? Are you a thinker or a doer? Let it all out and share your thoughts below! :-)

Jerome Ratliff March 23, 2011 at 8:03 am

hi Jayne,

This reminds me of a book I read some time ago called The Millionaire’s Path. Inside the book they talk about how there is never a good time to start. And if people don’t agree they “try” to get ready and when they feel ready to start, they start. Only to find out they weren’t really ready at all.

The best thing to do is to START NOW, don’t wait.

Thanks for this reminder (I think I will have to read this book again now).

Jerome Ratliff

Jayne Kopp March 23, 2011 at 10:43 am

Hi Jerome, the time really is to start NOW for anything worth doing in life. I’ve really realized it more and more as I’ve got a few years under my belt.

That sounds like a great book to read. I have had a few suggestions for books lately from my cyber friends, I think I shall have to add this to my list of ‘must reads’…

thanks so much for coming to leave a great comment!

Heather C Stephens March 21, 2011 at 11:38 am

Having a coach is a huge, important, thing for everyone who wants to stretch and grow. We can stretch much farther with someone holding us accountable to things. My coach, for instance, fines me $100 if I ever show up to a coaching meeting without having done my homework. :) Talk about incentive to stay focused!

There is never a great time to start a business, get married, have kids, buy a home, etc. We can all come up with excuses after excuses when it comes to planning for big things in life. But I think many people forget that putting off a decision, is a decision in itself. :)

Keep up the fantastic work!
Heather

Jayne Kopp March 23, 2011 at 10:53 am

Hi Heather, Youwch! You get fined a hundred smackers? Yes, I would have to concur that is incentive.

I haven’t not shown up to a session incomplete… yet but I’ve sure sweat it sometime.

You are right, we can all come up with excuses very easily, but that doesn’t get us anywhere does it?

Thanks for coming Heather… you have definitely been an example of mega production lately! Keep it up. I am proud of you.

Ian Belanger March 21, 2011 at 8:39 am

The best time to take action is NOW! People who procrastinate and say “well I’ll do it tomorrow,” are missing out. Like Jon said “the longer you wait, the more likely it is for someone else to capitalize on your idea.” He hit the nail right on the head.

The time is now, even if you can only do an hour a day. Be like Nike and “Just Do It.”

Thanks for sharing Jayne and have a great day!

Jayne Kopp March 23, 2011 at 10:56 am

Hi Ian, playing the waiting game is not something that gets us to where we need to be. As you and Jon say, its a good way to get left behind in the dust and let someone else take the idea and run.

also, as you say, an hour per day really does add up. At the end of the week you have invested 7 hours of production into a week you otherwise would have only exercised your thoughts!

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a great comment!

Jon March 18, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Most of the battle is won by starting in a specific direction. You’re absolutely right that we need to take action because the right time will never come.

The other side of that is the longer you wait, the more likely it is for someone else to capitalize on your idea. Now, you’re unique and have a story that nobody else can share. But the longer you wait, the more time passes you by that you could have had your ideas shared, niche site built, consulting services page set up to accept payment..etc.

Speed of implementation counts. I’d say it counts big. From conception to completion you have to keep an eye on time span. The more “4 hour weekend warrior” approach you take to building a sustainable business, the slower and more painful this process is going to be for you.

Good for you, Jayne, enlisting the guidance of a coach. We should never stop learning; regardless of experience.

Jon

Jayne Kopp March 20, 2011 at 11:31 am

HI Jon, you are so right about not dilly dallying around because as you say, someone often will jump in and leave you in the dust kicking yourself.

If you really want to do something… you have to ProveIT! (as the name of our blogging challenge says. In other words get the show on the road babe… or it just won’t happen!

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Steve Nicholas March 17, 2011 at 4:41 pm

You are so right, Jayne! I know that, using my running as an example, I waited for about five years to get started again because I “wanted to get in better shape before I started training in earnest again.” The end result? By the time I finally started again, I probably lost a good minute or a minute and a half of my mile speed. If you try to wait for more money to build a business, you’ll just be more broke. It’s one thing to try to save for seed money, but it’s another to wait until you’re in a better position to start. Don’t let yourself get that much farther behind until you change direction.

Jayne Kopp March 17, 2011 at 9:01 pm

HI Steve, thanks once again for your thoughtful comment.

Its is such a shame that many people do just that and let themselves get so far behind, only to kick themselves later on.

As you say, if seed money is a necessity, that is different, but in our industry there are so many options to at least get started. I know some people who just simply took off because they invested the time and didn’t wait for the right time at that. Others let the clock tick and call me a year later and say ‘I really should have started when…”

You analogy of running is another good example with the same message.

I’m glad you concur Steve. Have a great night.