Do You Need an Attitude Adjustment?

by Jayne Kopp on March 19, 2011

adjust your attitude

How's your attitude?

We all have an attitude. Sometimes it’s excellent and sometimes it’s not. What’s really important though is to realize when we need an attitude adjustment!

You see attitude makes all the difference to how we live life. It impacts whether we feel happy or sad, it can affect our energy level and also can make the difference between success and failure, so it’s really important we pay attention to it.

The human condition is such that we are always on a roller coaster. Little tiny things can either make us feel over the moon, or down in the dumps.

Fortunately, this is all within our control and as long as we remain in tune with our inner thoughts, we can use them to take us beyond our wildest dreams or keep us stuck in a rut.

Since starting my personal development business in 2008, I’ve realized more and more the importance of tweaking my attitude daily.

I don’t suppose I really gave it much thought before to be honest, but I can tell you, it is definitely the one lesson that has made the greatest impact on my daily living and has contributed immensely to my degree of success this far.

Additionally, since taking on a few coaching clients I have seen the effects unfold before my eyes and I’m convinced it’s a universal truth based on first hand experience.

This week I had two coaching clients back to back who were prime examples of polar opposites.

My first session was with a lady who was incredibly passionate about getting started with her internet business.

It was something she had thought of for a very long time, and after reading my post on the right time to start a business, she decided right there and then to contact me to get the ball rolling.

She had no experience whatsoever but viewed the opportunity with excitement and was looking forward to learning ways to unlock her inner passions and broaden her horizons.

Additionally, while she was well aware of the fact that there were many other people building businesses in her particular field, she was looking forward to reaching out to forge relationships and learn from them.

I gave her some homework and we set a few tasks for her to complete and we ended our conversation on a wonderfully high note.

Later that day I had another session with a lady in exactly the same position who stumbled across my blog weeks ago. She too had considered starting a business on the internet for quite a while and though she had been successful previously, it took her a while to make a move.

I found it interesting, that even though she had many talents and so much experience in her particular field as well as some technical experience that far outweighed many of us in this industry, she was tentative and unsure.

She felt overwhelmed at the thoughts of laying the foundation and viewed the ‘tasks’ we’d set out as “work”. She also felt intimidated by the thoughts of similar businesses and viewed them as “hard to beat competition”.

The root cause of this boiled down to her limiting beliefs and a few set backs she’d recently experienced.

Thankfully after discussing her concerns she realized she needed to work on her mindset and make some ‘internal’ changes in order to succeed externally.

Thankfully, she felt more empowered and is embracing the realization of needing an attitude adjustment with open arms.

Funnily enough, I decided to write on the topic of attitude after completing these sessions and just before I sat down to work I received two calls from friends, one after the other.

Now, I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned this before, but wintertime in British Columbia is … well…wet. We get a significant amount of rain and even have a saying in our neck of the woods that “in Vancouver you don’t tan you rust” and as much as we should be used to it, it can be a bit of a pain after a while.

My friend Shannon called and the first thing out of her mouth was how glad she’ll be when this (insert adjective) rain stops. LOL

My friend Leanne called to tell me her daffodils are popping up thanks to all this ‘liquid sunshine’.

I found it humorous how two people can look at the exact same thing and see it completely different.

As for my thoughts…I’m with Shannon on this one! (Just saying) :-)

The point to this post though, is to stay close to your thoughts and if you feel like you’re dipping, get a grip, decide to turn things around and give yourself an attitude adjustment. It takes less energy to look on the bright-side than it does to battle with the opposite.

Before I sign off, I’d like to share Chuck Swindolls’ thoughts on attitude. It summarizes everything I’m trying to say:

The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life.
Attitude, to me, is more important than facts.
It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do.
It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. It will make or break a company … a church … a home.
The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day.
We cannot change our past. We cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable.
The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude …
I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me, and 90% how I react to it.
And so it is with you … we are in charge of our Attitudes.

Couldn’t have said it better myself! :-)

In conclusion, it’s OK to have an attitude, as long as you pay attention to it and keep it in check.

If not, it’s time to take the bull by the horns and make an adjustment. Do your best to make it your mission to look for the good in everything.

Disappointments often pave the way for better things to come. Problems are always opportunities for improvement.

Change the way you look at things and you’ll have a better day or more importantly “life” because of it!

What are some of the ways you’ve tweaked your attitude? Share your tips and tricks with us below!

The Cubicle Chick March 22, 2011 at 10:24 am

I know in business, a lot of people fail because of poor attitudes. I think when you have people in your life that are able to check you and keep you from getting to “Diva-ish”, it goes a long way. Great post!

Jayne Kopp March 23, 2011 at 10:40 am

Hi there, thanks for stopping by. There are all sorts of ways we can keep our attitudes in check. I think as long as we stay close it to it and use common sense, we are on the right track. it makes a huge difference to not only us, but those around us!

Thanks for your comment! :-)

Marty March 21, 2011 at 1:04 am

Hi Jayne. There is so much in this. We can have the most amazing skills and experience, but as you say it counts for nothing if our attitude is a de motivator. I experience the roller coaster pretty often. The worst of it is when around folk that talk themselves or the tasks down. It can be contaminating. Who we hang out with and listen to has a serious effect upon our attitude. I’m going to be a coach. I’m writing a book that I got quite a bit of work done on last night.
The weather here in the UK this morning is really uplifting. It’s a bright blue sky. A crisp morning and leading to my favourite time of year, spring time when everything grows at a tempo. I want that to happen with my blog and desired business.

Jayne Kopp March 21, 2011 at 9:10 am

Hi Marty, then obviously we have a lot in common!

I know all about the ‘de motivators’ I used to have a friends who sucked the life out of me. At the time I really gave little thought to personal development… and to be honest, didn’t have the sense to realize it was hanging with her that dragged me down.

One day the light bulb went on and I started being unavailable. WOW what a diff.

Since then, I have naturally acquired a lot of experience. Some good, some not as much! :-) …. point is, do my best to turn things about and control my human condition.

Life is too ‘bleedin’ short to sweat the small stuff. Cripes, we could get washed away by a blinking tsunami tomorrow and we’re not going to wish we’d played the violin more. (maybe that was the wrong saying for a musician?)

Great luck on your coaching and book. I hope you will let me have a look at your book…

Did I tell you I’m writing one too?

I’ll show you mine if you show me yours! :-)

eric March 20, 2011 at 3:24 pm

I think the number one thing holding people back from an online business is the fact that the do not want to learn the internet/ computer jargon. The thought of setting up a wordpress blog. What is wordpress. then coding and customizations. That alone would make me step on the brakes but what a lot of people do not reliaze is setting up wordpress and a website is cake. once set up you just type type and type some more. Ya there is a stratagy you have to come up with. newsletters, seo and what the heck is twitter but if any one would google how to set up wordpress that will have millions of how to guides to choose from. step 1 step 2. a lot of hosting companies even have one click installs.

Change is what holds people back i guess.

Jayne Kopp March 21, 2011 at 9:12 am

Hi Eric, yes I do think having to learn new things is a stumbling block for many. Especially when we get older. Like our bones, our minds are not a flexible. ;-)

If people stepped upto the plate to take a swing at a new experience I am sure they would get more out of life.

I know exactly what you’re saying.

Thanks so much for stopping.

Riley Harrison March 20, 2011 at 11:35 am

“What’s really important though is to realize WHEN we need an attitude adjustment!” So true. For me, awareness always has to precede change. And the good news is that greater awareness is a learned skill. Thanks for your insights. I’m always reviewing my life for what works and what doesn’t and if I can detect a pattern, I will begin a program of change. Thanks for your insights – good post
Riley

Jayne Kopp March 20, 2011 at 11:57 am

Riley, I could not agree more with the fact that our own personal awareness has to be sharpened.

Its a great way to be though as our actions and possibilities are all intertwined with our own condition.

Reviewing your life regularly is very important. We need to take the time to do thins and make the necessary changes.

Thanks for stopping.

Sarah Russell March 20, 2011 at 10:43 am

So true. So 100% true…

There’s opportunity everywhere, but we don’t always see it if our attitudes aren’t in the right place. Thanks for the reminder to focus on maintaining an attitude of abundance and success – good things are coming our way!

Jayne Kopp March 20, 2011 at 11:27 am

Hi Sarah, how nice to meet you!

I love that … the way you said ‘good things are coming out way. I am fiddling with a post along the same lines.

Its kind of exciting to live with that thought isn’t it. Kinda like Christmas… but different because we don’t know exactly WHAT is coming.

Yes, opportunity is everywhere and it’s up to us to tweak our attitude so we dont have our blinders on when it smacks us square in the nose.

thanks for your empowering comment!

Jon March 20, 2011 at 8:50 am

Attitude and discipline are everything (and interconnected).

The more time we spend focusing on negative things, the more negative things we spot in our lives. Put them behind you. Learn from the negative experience(s) and move forward; easier said than done, I know.

I like to focus on what’s working, what others do that gives them happiness, the positive things I see others enjoying and then I reverse-engineer it. How can I achieve what they are or how can I do what they do and this mentality breeds more positive results.

It’s neat how you can have two clients that can be similar in so many ways, drop them in similar situations and they can react as polar opposites. We’re all so unique…

See you again soon!

Jayne Kopp March 20, 2011 at 11:11 am

HI Jon, you are so right about everything being interconnected.

Moving on sometimes is not easy when we’ve been through something that hurts or knocked us down a few pegs. I know ALL about it from my own experiences.

I know however, that we have to exercise our personal strength and make a conscious decision to snap out of it, otherwise it can ruin our lives and allow us to miss out on the wonderful things under our nose.

Thanks for your thoughtful comment.

Dahlia Valentine March 20, 2011 at 7:46 am

Hi Jayne… (Love that quote “in Vancouver you don’t tan you rust.”) I’m typically one of those people who quickly deals with life’s little issues and moves on. But every 5-7 years some exceptionally big, stinky problem always seems to fall square in my lap. Something that really tests the limits of my strength and my sanity.

What I’ve realized is that sometimes you really do have to cozy up with what you believe is the ‘worst thing that could ever happen’ and just be comfortable with it. Not to say, “Hurray, I’m losing my house.” But “Okay, I’m probably going to lose the house. What can I do to quickly move on and get back to business?”

Bad things are always going to happen to good people. But as you said Jayne, problems are always opportunity for improvement.

Jayne Kopp March 20, 2011 at 11:15 am

HI Dhalia, I could not agree more with the fact that we have to immediately decide how we are going to make the best of a bad situation.

I know all about the ‘stinky’ that can fall in your lap. Looking back, most of the stinky things were not quite as bad as I may have thought until about six years ago when my marriage went sideways. I still really struggle with that terribly…BUT… I am pleased I’ve been able to pick the ‘bright-sides’ because they really do exist. They help me smile and move forward and its really a matter of self discipline.

Thanks for such a great comment.

Diana March 20, 2011 at 2:25 am

I absolutely love this post. It reminds me of how things just are and the meaning is what we attach to it. I live in Italy and many friends have left this country because they found it just too difficult with the language barrier and bureaucracy. I admit that’s true but I also love everything about it, the history, food, culture, and I can go on. I also have days where I need to vent about what’s wrong but I am aware of doing that LOL. I do my best not to dwell on it too long :)

It’s all about the attitude and you are in control of that. No one else and the quote by Chuck Swindoll’s says it best. Thanks for sharing that. I am going to post it up in my study to remind me daily.

Jayne Kopp March 20, 2011 at 11:19 am

Hi Diana, how lovely to meet you.

As you say, dwelling isn’t a good place to be. We all have reasons for the choices we make. I suppose if the reasons are important enough to us, we do something… your friends left, but because you didn’t see the same things they was and saw Italy differently, you’re staying. I think things are what you make of them and what your expectations are.

I love Chuck Swindoll at the best of times, but I particularly love his thoughts on attitude. It really is ‘frame worthy’ isn’t it.

Thanks for stopping.

Kesha Brown March 19, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Jayne, I need to put you in front of a bunch people who need an attitude adjustment!! :-)

I love what you’ve quoted from Chuck Swindolls. Maybe we should put that on a blimp and make everybody read it daily :-) Okay, maybe that’s too much. But I’m thinking about how I run into people daily who have the nastiest, most pessimistic, horrible attitudes ever. Fortunately for me, I’m surrounded by positive minded people and one can enjoy life a whole lot better when that’s the case.

btw: love the cat pic!

Jayne Kopp March 20, 2011 at 11:22 am

Hi Kesha, Actually I like the blimp idea!!! I wouldn’t mind getting in front of people either to be honest. It’s been a while, but I’m up for it!!

I am so lucky I have ‘mostly’ positive friends too. The ones who are negative, I have sort of cut loose or at least only see them in small doses!

Its a good choice of yours too to surround yourself in positive people. It makes life so much nicer.

Isn’t the pic cute. I couldn’t resist it.

Thanks as always for your awesome comment!