Are You Content With Life?

by Jayne Kopp on March 22, 2011

Are you happy with life?

Are you content with life? In other words are you happy with your life and the stage you’re at.

Unfortunately the answer to this question for most people is “no not really”. :-(

Now I’m not talking about being content because you are the type of person who has to have the latest and greatest new hot trendy gadget, nor am I talking about being competitive with others or thinking the grass is greener on the other side.

What I’m trying to get at is if you are personally content with your own achievements and where you are in life.

Though there can be many things that attribute to a feeling a bit disappointed or fed up, more often than not it’s because we haven’t reached a goal, or feel we are not where we had hoped at this stage of the game.

The problem is though, that many people don’t DO something about it. They don’t have the insight to realize they do have control over their current situation.

Being in the business of personal development, and having the opportunity to talk to a variety of personalities often, I find that people tend to stagnate or give up on themselves after a while because they are so blinded by their subconscious programming. Most people start to “accept” that where they are… is where they will stay.

It’s a shame really, because as I’ve said many times before, life is far too short. We only live once and should take it upon ourselves to live in the moment and just DO the things we want to do.

After all, what’s the worst that can happen? You can’t lose what you don’t have, so why mope when you have the same opportunity as anybody else to change your own situation.

I’m not saying it’s “easy peasy“, you do have to bust your buns occasionally to break through the barrier of “nothingness”, but if you’re really ‘ticked’ and disappointed with the way things are, a little exertion might be just the ticket.

This goes for anything in life really. We all have different wants and needs, and things that would make us feel more satisfied or proud and we almost always have to work towards making them happen.

What’s more, often our discontentment is linked to our financial situation which makes us feel SO helpless and for some reason seems to cloud our imagination of what we might be able to do to get out of the predicament.

Though finances are not the ‘be all and end all’ it helps if we can afford a few things to make our lives a little easier and I suppose that is why most of my conversations are with people who wish to start a home business and are interested in personal development.

I’m pleased that most of my potential partners and coaching clients realize the need for personal development, as a natural first step, but most of them still need help with plucking up guts to take action on improving things.

Sometimes it’s just the ‘not knowing’ part that scares people off. In other words, they just are not sure what to do. That’s where I come in… as I can’t emphasize enough how important taking action is. It really is the key to success and as one of my favourite quotes confirms:

“If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten” (Tony Robbins)

A great way to start making these changes would be to take some time to think about what it is exactly that is holding you back, and make note.

Once you know the root cause of your challenge, you can then determine what it is you need to do to feel content.

I have to be honest and acknowledge that there are some things we cannot change completely. I.e.: losing a friend or family member, suffering heartache, or battling illness, but there are things you can do to ‘get past’ these issues to a certain degree in order to help speed up the healing process and add some ‘good’ feelings to replace some of the tough ones to help soften the impact.

If your hold ups are solely based on ‘goals’ or progress (which is really what this post is more about), you have the same opportunity to make significant changes if you are willing to take action.

There was a time when I wasn’t 100% content with life either, BUT thankfully realized I was the only one who could make the necessary changes. I have found that working towards my goals gave me a feeling of personal satisfaction and I’m thoroughly enjoying the experience of getting there.

I’d like to emphasize, that I am not suggesting we always have to be “on the want” – and always striving. I do know some people just can’t seem to feel content no matter what.

I’m just suggesting here that if you truly feel there is something that is holding you back from being content in life that is within your control, then its definitely time to identify it and make improvement while you’re still here and able to do so.

If taking the steps in the right direction is a difficult one to do alone, why not reach out to someone and get some help.

Everyone needs a little help sometimes to get re-wired and get on track. Feel free to contact me if you’re feeling unsure, and let’s see if we can’t start making changes.

Not everyone takes the time to analyze their personal discontent and tend to just go with it rather than taking the time to pinpoint what changes they could be making. Sometimes people just don’t know how to peel back the layers.

To help clearly cut to the root cause of what you’d like to adjust is to determine how you might answer the following question:

If you were to die tomorrow, would you look back and say your were content with life? If the answer is no, then what would have made the difference and what would you wish you had done differently if you could live life over?

Often the answer is not that complicated!

What would help you feel more content and happy with life? What are you doing about it?

Oliver Tausend March 27, 2011 at 7:58 am

wonderful post. As you just read my self-sabotage post, you know where I was at :-)

In conjunction with this little crisis I found out that I was too attached to the outcome and that I lacked Faith in the process.

Unhappiness often comes from pursuing a distant goal that it is supposed to make us happy (haha !) while we don’t have Faith in the process, probably even dislike it.

So I learned to have Faith in the process which allows me to let go of the attachment to the outcome. For me, this insight increases my feeling of happiness tremendously, and also my gratitude.

Timo Kiander March 24, 2011 at 4:58 am

This is great stuff :)

There are so many people out there who are blaming others for their situation and they feel powerless.

In fact, it is just the opposite – once you become responsible of your life and realize that you are in control of your own future, you *can* change things for the better.

I think that one step towards feeling more content with life is to appreciate the small moments and how much joy they bring to one’s life. For example, I can’t think of anything better than waking up on Saturday morning – well rested – and reading the newspaper with my wife – with a cup of coffee :)

Jayne Kopp March 25, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Hey Timo, I am quite positive you may have sparked an idea for a blog post!

I have to admit wholeheartedly that as well as ‘striving’ for contentment, there is a lot to be said for recognizing the smaller yet equally precious moments in life that count for so much.

As you said, sharing a nice Saturday with your wife. I agree, there is nothing better than just being completely content with the people you love even if the time is spent doing nothing spectacular!

Thanks for sharing!

Jon March 23, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Reaching out and helping others is what makes me feel content. I used to think it was in the social events, nights out, and buying things. It isn’t. That’s hollow. What has lasting impact and rewards many is engagement and freely giving.

There will likely be a few things I’ll always look back upon and wish I had done differently. But I don’t dwell on them; I accept that I made the decisions I have and I’ve learned from them.

Contentment now comes as a result of being just a tad more wise and appreciative of the little things in life :)

Thanks!

Jon

Jayne Kopp March 25, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Hi Jon, yes the little things in life count for so much.

I, like you have never been bothered about buying things or even nights out… although I am making an effort to get out more lately because I treasure my friends… so it’s nice to see them.

It is funny as we get a little wiser how helping others becomes paramount and brings so much satisfaction!

thanks for your awesome comment!

Steve Nicholas March 23, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Great post, Jayne! I have to admit that I come from a part of the country where people tend to have a fatalistic outlook (Appalachia) in part because of the history of the region. However, I think that there comes a point where you say, “Just because people have done our part of the country wrong for years doesn’t mean that it has to keep going that way. There is something better out there!” While I wouldn’t say that I’m there yet, I know that I will not be content with the blahs of life any longer.

Jayne Kopp March 25, 2011 at 10:48 pm

HI Steve, things never have to keep going in any certain way if it doesn’t enrich us.

I am glad you are not going to be satisfied with the Blah’s in life and that you are obviously taking responsibility for your own contentment!

Thanks for your bright outlook!

Heather C Stephens March 23, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Hi Jayne!

I think it’s so sad how many people are unhappy in life but just keep on keeping on and accept what is. We need to reflect on what we want and what is standing in our way, as you say…keeping us from having it.

Usually, I’ve found that the taking action part is a whole lot easier than the staying stuck part, although when we’re feeling stuck that seems like the easier choice. :)

Great post!
Heather

Jayne Kopp March 25, 2011 at 10:50 pm

Heather it is so true that sometimes staying stuck seems like the easy way out. The problem is that it doesn’t resolve anything long term, so if we are willing to stay stuck, we have to be willing to feel the discontentment until we decide to make a difference.

Thanks for your comment! I’m with you!

Jayne Kopp March 23, 2011 at 10:33 am

Hi Jym, how wonderful to have you back.

I am glad you got the jist of the write up. I have to admit I was struggling to get the thoughts from brain to paper, but it is so important to get clear on what it is you really want and start taking action toward it.

I am glad you have defined you goal … it makes you feel settled just by doing it doesnt’ it?

Thanks for stopping Jym.

Jane | Find All Answers March 23, 2011 at 12:56 am

Very good article Jayne. It is funny that we need to aim high with every goal in our personal and business life. But at the same time if we were not able to reach that heights, we get disappointed and this often is reflected at a later stage in our lives as discontent.

The key lies is identifying the happiness in what we have got.

Thanks for the share Jayne.

Cheers,
Jane.

Jayne Kopp March 23, 2011 at 10:27 am

Hi Jane, Very true that we need to find contentment with where we are… that’s very important indeed and while I truly realize that, being that I was ‘tanking’ for words and battling writers block, I don’t think I said much about that side of the coin.

I think it is also important to recognize the power to change which is sort of the standpoint from where I was writing the other day. I just got of a call with someone who had confessed they were just going to ‘settle’ for what is.

It got me going! (LOL).

BTW… lovely to meet you. Thanks for taking the time stop by.

Jym @ MLM Lead Generator March 22, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Great to read this post, I’ve been considering this a lot over the last few weeks while I’ve been away from my home, business and family.

One key result of my time away contemplating how happy I am with my life and the direction it’s moving in is that I’ve spent some time re-defining my core values, and setting out a plan to align my activities and life to fit into those values.

For example, I realized that one of the things that’s important to me is being in nature, and although it’s been helpful to live in the city for the first year of my daughter’s life, we’re not so dependent on the convenience of city living now, so my wife and I are looking at how we can start living where we really want to be this year, not seeing it as a long term goal for a few years down the track… So having become clear, we’ve made a plan, and are taking action to make that plan a reality.

I like what you’ve said about taking action, the time to do it is now, and as Tony says – what you’ve done up to now has gotten you to where you are. Stepping outside your comfort zone and putting in the effort to change is definitely a key to reaching greater happiness!

Thanks for this inspiring post,

Jym

Heather C Stephens March 23, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Awesome for you, Jym! I’m excited you’re back and looking forward to hearing about all your revelations and plans. :)

Heather