Getting to know each other and building relationships online has been my favourite part of this three year ride!
The thing is… I still seem to learn a lot about my contacts, or should I say “cyber-friends” from time to time and often feel surprised. I think “oh wow… why didn’t I know that?”
My question and I suppose ‘challenge’ to you (sort of challenge anyway) is first of all to ask ‘how much should we share?’ … and then also to see if you are interested in letting the rest of us into your life a little more to share a few trivial bits of info?
While this is a fun post… I am writing it because I have been rolling around a few questions (in my mind) for a while:
Being in the personal development industry, my main goal, and absolute passion is to help others overcome limiting beliefs and discover their own personal power in order to make positive life changes.
The reason this is such a huge focus for me is because I have always been “driven” and jumped into entrepreneurial adventures full tilt, but I know there are so many people out there who “want to”…but are afraid to due to lack of confidence.
Second… I have had a great life, but six years ago it came tumbling down like a ton of bricks and left me for the first time in my life, like a crumpled train wreck.
I’d never been heartbroken before or felt so energy-less. Life lost its spark for a while and sent me for a real loop!!
Thankfully, I kicked myself in the behind… I had to. Even though it wasn’t easy…I took the painful steps to put one foot in front of the other to get the show back on the road.
While I’m 95% better now (still need daily work)… I know how devastating an unexpected life change can be and how immobilizing and detrimental this type of experience can be.
Because of my first hand experience with disappointment as well as success, I have learned to create a whole new life, therefore it is my mission to help others pick themselves up and move on in a big way.
Because of the nature of my mission, I wonder ‘how much’ personal information should we share?
I’m pretty much an open book… but there are some things I’ve done that I’m not proud of… and other things I am; and while I know my focus is not about ‘me’ – I think that people often feel more comfortable knowing that I/we are human and might have experienced similar life changes as well as made mistakes and survived!
Naturally, there are many things I won’t share… being that this is the internet and all… for common sense reasons… but what do you think about sharing personal life experiences and to what depth?
I’ll leave you with this, but first I thought I would share 20 things about me and ask if you might write a similar post so we can get to know each other a little more? (Your choice but I thought it might be fun!)
I love learning new things about people too!
So here goes:
1) My name is actually Jennifer-Jayne! Yip… I know it might be a surprise.
I am named after my mom’s sister who passed away before I met her. Her name was Jennifer-June. I then named my daughter Jennifer-Rose.
My daughter & I go by our middle names and we are only called “Jennifer” when we are in trouble!
2) I have more power tools than the average man! I drywall, tile-set, I’ve framed walls, used nail guns, drills, power saws, you name it.
I love renovating, but due to age … my energy isn’t quite as rambunctious as is used to be! I do not touch electrical and plumbing though… (that might not be a smart move for me!)
3) I am the queen of projects! My family thinks I’m nuts sometimes.
Last year I River Rocked a WHOLE wall in my living room. It all started innocently by taking the dog for a run on the beach when I noticed how beautiful some of the rocks were – colour-wise (particularly after a rain). I thought I would like a river rock wall in my living room to match the outside of my house.
My poor family had to put up with me for a whole month while I completed the project. I liked it so much I did the bathroom next! John begs me not to jump into obsessive compulsive mode (as I do often). He fears the whole house might turn into a rocky cave one day!
4) I like music of all types, but ACDC is pretty close to the top. Not sure if this is a good thing necessarily when making an impression on my kids! I just love the catchyness of many of their tunes! Aerosmith is a close second… love Stevie Tyler!
5) I’ve logged quite a few hours on the back of a Harley… but never driven one myself! Many of my friends have bikes… and with that said, even my dad owns a Harley. Maybe it’s a second childhood or craving for ‘coolness’… not sure to be honest!
6) Both my children were ‘surprises!” I had never planned to have them… didn’t really know I could due to a pituitary enlargement I’ve had all my life.
When my daughter was ‘in the works’ I thought I had the stomach flu … for three months! Went to the doctor and just about fainted when he told me ITS NOT THE FLU!
If that wasn’t enough… 11 months later didn’t the same thing happen! My darling Joseph was on his way! You’d figure at 40 you’d know what caused it!
My kids are the GREATEST blessing from God that I could have ever imagined and I am thankful every single day for them! I was happy before… but what an empty life it really must have been when I think about it. Who knew??
8) I’m not blond! I used to be ‘medium brunette’… then my hair went darker after I had my kidlets.
Due to the inset of ‘salt and pepperiness’ shortly thereafter… I found it easier to go lighter… and lighter… and lighter… now who know’s? … I might be a silver fox for all I know!
I also have three tatoos! (they are hidden … don’t ask!)
9) I used to be a Horse Person! Most of my life to be honest. My first horse was named “Limbo” and my second horse, one that I just ‘acquired’ somehow, was named “Diamond”.
I had Limbo since I was 12 years old, he was 1. Diamond was 7 when I adopted him.
Both of my beautiful companions passed away at 32 a few years apart.
I used to show my horses… but not often in ‘pleasure’ classes. I was huge into Barrel racing or anything that required immense speed and flying shavings and dirt!
10) I am an only “child” – my dad was ‘ok’ with that. I am not sure if it was because he felt he had reached ‘perfection’ the first time (joking)… or if I was enough to handle! My mom would have liked 10 kids!
Contrary to what many think about only kids… i was NOT spoiled… quite the opposite to be honest!
11) I love interior decorating and spent many times completely changing a room with every decorating method known to man!
12) I like beer! I also have a love for really spicy Caesars, especially if they have spicy beans! I can’t drink more than one glass of red wine though… It goes to my head.
This is not a problem (thankfully!) if I have more than one drink per month (if that) I’d be exaggerating! (unless I go out of course, which isn’t that often so I think I’m safe!)
13) I love animals. My first cat lived to be 21 years old. His name was Tiddles. I have had a few cats since… Whiskers, Ben, Lucy and Marjorie.
I don’t have a cat now, but I do have a dog. His name is Winston. (Actually (Charles Winston). He is the craziest Springer Spaniel on the planet. He and I have our differences! (Mostly me with him!)
14) I have known my significant other, John, since High School! He was waaaay too much trouble for me back then… (And well known for it!). Funny how things turn out though. Even now I have to pinch myself sometimes!
He is an incredible person. He spoils me rotten, as well as the children (who adore him)… he has two beautiful teenage daughters who are perfect. He is also wonderful to his ex wife, Rita. Just a nice man all around and I am very lucky!
15) I sell fake grass! Also known as Synthetic Turf or Artificial Turf. My Back yard is all Synthetic turf. I put this in because my house is like ‘club med for kids’ in the summer; all the neighbourhood kids like to have play dates here.
We have a HUGE above ground collapsible pool, a trampoline, swing set, slide, and … of course the dog!
In the summer the kids were either as dusty or muddy as coal miners! I installed synthetic turf and don’t have that problem anymore.
The other bonus is the yard looks pristine all year round, I don’t have to lift a finger to keep it beautiful and you can’t tell the difference! I love it so much, I now distribute it and being that fake grass is newish to British Columbia… it might turn out to be a fun little side line!!
16) I am an ‘all or nothing’ type of person. Everything I do is ALL in.
Last year I decided I would like a motor home… for the kids really. I’ve done my stints camping in tents, etc… so I thought a motor home would be just the ticket.
I envisioned buying a 25 ft. or so. I ended up with a 34 footer! It sure is the coolest thing… but I can’t drive it YET! It looks like a Rock Band rolling down the street. The kids call it “the Rolling Turd” like Robbin Williams’ movie “RV” !!
My friends say “do you think you could have found a bigger one?” in jest of course. Oh well , it’s the way it worked out!
16) I have fish in bowls all over the house. My son has a blue Beta named Max. My daughter has a pinkish-red one named Katrina. The ‘kitchen fish’ is named Princess Leah, Hanna Montana resides in the hallway upstairs and Jackson and Melissa are tiny goldfish in the living room. Yes… I clean many bowls!
17) I’m divorced and have been for six years. I still struggle with it however I am much better than I used to be. I believe when you love someone, no matter what… and even if things go sideways that true love never dies completely.
Surprisingly and unfortunately, I have found some people don’t operate the same way and it saddens me.
I wholeheartedly credit diving into personal development and self growth for helping me past this. I believe ‘things’ happen, but we have to ‘cowboy up’ and embrace change. We can’t change others no matter what.
I believe that we all have to remain open to change and if done correctly the doors open to attract all kinds of possibilities.
I also believe that most things in life happen for a reason. Even though I miss my past life, my new one is incredible.
18) I am currently deep into a coaching program in order to become a certified life coach. This is another passion… and surprise that I discovered I enjoy since, as well as I’m apparently good at it.
It’s funny how sometimes you discover hidden strengths isn’t it… even if you’re not the best at solving your own problems all the time!
19) I’m not much of a fashion buff. Most days are spent in Jeans and sweatshirts! In fact I have 34 pairs of jeans! (Ok… a bit over the top). Though I’m ok with this… it makes it very difficult when a ‘posh’ or dressy event rears it’s head… panic stations set in as I scramble to find something dressy to wear.
20) I have a variety of friends online and offline, and although I love time alone and I’m very comfortable in my own space, I appreciate every single person I befriend!
21) (I thought this was worth mentioning) I used to think Personal Development and Self Growth was ‘over the top’ and a bit of quackery.
If ever I heard a ‘Dr’ on TV talking about the power of positive thinking I thought ‘whooo hooo’ (picture my finger moving in circular motion pointing at my temple!).
I’ve changed my tune these last few years! Now I know that ANYBODY can achieve anything and make positive life changes. We are all powerful humans. Each and every one of us has so much to share.
We all deserve success… and we can all get there if we put in the effort.
I feel it is also important to have a laugh at our individuality as well.
Building relationships and getting to know each other helps me have a little fun in the process… and that was one of the ideas behind this post!
I hope you’ve enjoyed a bit of mindless trivia.
I just thought it would be fun to share a few bits and pieces and thought since building relationships online is what it’s all about that this may be a good idea for some of your blog posts and help in getting to know each other even better!
Next year I’ll do another to cover 2011. What do you think?
No related posts.