Success is About Making Choices

by Jayne Kopp on March 31, 2011

Making Choices, matter of choice

Everything in life, including success all about making choices.

I know some people feel ‘badly done to’ or dissatisfied with the way “life has treated them”, yet rarely exercise their ability DO something to change their circumstances.

I have often said that we all come into the world the same way … and we will all go out the same way (whether we like it or not) and while I realize we, who are sitting in front of a computer, pulled the “long straw”, unlike those born in third world countries who do not have access… WE have choice.

I think it’s first of all very important, particularly if you’re at home feeling sorry for yourself to realize how blessed we are and embrace the fact that we can make choices in life just as the Law of Relativity states.

With that said, we have two! We can either feel sorry for ourselves if we are not pleased with our situation, or make the choice to change it.

I know that sometimes we compare our lives to highly successful individuals and often think they are just lucky. We rarely give them credit for making life choices to get them to where they are.

The reality is that people who do well in life are not usually ‘lucky’… nor or they necessarily “smarter” than we are; they just made the decision to follow a different path rather than just accept the status quo.

Furthermore, many of these people have emerged from very difficult circumstances but took the bull by the horns to create change.

Something else to think about is that success can mean different things to different people.

Success to you might be a matter of losing a certain amount of weight, or perhaps passing an exam or running a marathon. It really doesn’t matter. Regardless of what success is to you, you will have to make the choice to achieve it.

The same rings true for becoming an entrepreneur to achieve financial success; if you choose to make these improvements, you can you can!

Once you have decided to take action, there will be a series of subsequent choices to keep you on track.

These will include staying focused and making the decision to turn off the TV in order to work towards building your business, or whatever it is you wish to accomplish. From there on you will have to commit to remaining consistent

Unfortunately life is not based on a singular decision, but a series of daily choices that will in turn define your actions…. but they will be worth it in the end!

Through building my online business these last three years, I had to make the choice to sacrifice a variety of activities. These included socializing, watching TV, as well as placing some of my hobbies and other projects on hold. Admittedly, at times even my housework suffered :-) – but in the end I know I made the right one(s).

If you are at a standstill in life and feel you would like to make personal and financial changes, then it is imperative you realize life is a matter of choice.

You can stay where you are and merely ‘think’ about working towards your goals, or you can decide to make a few sacrifices and work towards them.

Success is attainable for anybody who is willing to work towards it – its all about making choices.

If you need help to get the wheels turning to improve both personally and financially, and you are looking for ways to change your current situation, feel free to contact me for a free coaching session. The choice is yours!

Rob April 15, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I enjoyed this post.
I agree with many of the comments (especially Janet’s)
I believe failing is a major part of succeeding. People use luck as a term to justify someone else being successful. We can’t see someone as they’re sweating it out, so it appears to us when we read about them, it happened overnight. Most highly successful folks have failed time and time again at various things.
I also believe persistence is a common thread. It is amazing how ‘lucky’ one can get by being persistent.

Live it LOUD!

Joyce Oladipo April 5, 2011 at 2:08 am

Great article.

Not everyone of can be lucky but we need to take action when an opportunity comes our way. Even those that are successful had to work on it or they will lose everything.

Success is a matter of choice, so we need to get out there, get connected and take action

Kesha Brown April 2, 2011 at 11:49 pm

Jayne, there’s one thing that stood out in this post that all of us should repeat daily – “follow a different path rather than just accept the status quo.” If we look at any of the most/top successful people, we’ll find evidence that they did something differently and chose to do so consciously!

I need to tape this statement to my bathroom mirror (okay, maybe not that exactly but will just include it in my daily affirmations again!) :-)

Jayne Kopp April 3, 2011 at 3:49 pm

HI Kesha… oh go on, tape it to the mirror!!

Its funny … reading this just inspired another post… because sometimes each of us will find something different that works that nobody else has tried also. Do you get what I mean?

Like… not only should we do something different from those who do nothing… we can all do something different that others who are doing what we are doing.

Thanks for stopping by Kesha… I have to go quickly to jot my thoughts down… thanks to reading your comment! :-)

see you soon!

Janet @ The Natural Networker April 1, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Jayne, aloha. The good news/bad news is that it is all about choice and the choice is ours. We are 100% responsible for the choices we make in our life and those choices are what determines our lives.

Ironically, many people do not even realize that they are in charge of their lives. All we need to do to change direction is to decide to change; make the choice.

Years ago a very successful man told me that things are going to happen that make you sad/unhappy. At that point you have a choice; a decision to make. You can wait for some outside circumstance to cause to feel good again or you can choose, right then, to feel good.

Jayne, that statement made so much sense to me that I have embraced it ever since I heard it over 2 decades ago.

Thx for a terrific send off post for the weekend. Aloha. Janet

Jayne Kopp April 3, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Janet – Aloha … :-) I love saying that from frosty BC!

That is an excellent few words your friend shared. It is so true. Outside things don’t often happen… and if they do, not always when we need them most.

Taking the bull by the horns and getting past that Lizard Brain (I loved this post BTW)… is what a person has to do.

Thanks Janet, I hope you are loving your weekend!

Lawrence Bergfeld April 1, 2011 at 12:34 pm

You absolutely have to make sacrifices. If you do not then you will stay behind. The best time to get things done is in the morning. Whoever is disciplined wakes up at 6 am on a Saturday to do a good job on writing an article. Because most people are not even up until at least 8 am and to contact clients on a Saturday morning the best time is at 9 am.

That is the best time to accomplish your online activities if you think you will have a lack of time in the afternoon and/or work slower.

Lawrence Bergfeld

Jayne Kopp April 3, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Hi Lawrence, nice to meet you.

You are absolutely 100% right. We do have to make sacrifices and if it means getting up early as both of us do, then that’s what you have to do. You will do whatever it takes!

Thanks for the comment. I am pleased you stopped by!

Oliver Tausend March 31, 2011 at 4:10 pm

we might not always be able to choose our circumstances and if we make a decision to change them, they won’t change overnight.

But we always can choose our attitude and emotions towards circumstances.

This choice is also about responsibility, how we respond to cirumstances, situations and people.

If we choose a positive attitude towards our circumstances and our new choice, we will also be able to love the process and have faith in it.

I love your deep insights, thanks for sharing them.

Jayne Kopp March 31, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Hi Oliver, you are 100% correct… circumstances cannot be chosen, however what we do with to overcome them can! Making the choice to love the ‘ride’ helps a lot too!

Thanks so much for the comment!

Steve Nicholas March 31, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Great post, Jayne! I think that luck plays a role, but I think that people make a mistake when they say that luck has everything or nothing to do with it. Jim Rohn pointed out that his big break was meeting Earl Shoaff. However, you can have all of the opportunities open up in the world, but if you don’t take action, not only will you have fewer of those opportunities, but nothing will happen when they do fall in your lap.

Jayne Kopp March 31, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Hi Steve, yes I suppose that “luck” might come into it, but I think that once you open yourself up to opportunities, more and more opportunities will present themselves.

Other than that, perhaps picking the ‘lucky’ numbers wouldn’t hurt any! :-) but sitting in an envious pile of ‘nothingness’ while not taking the action to do what is within our control isn’t going to transform into much… at least not often.

Actually… glancing back up to your comment, I’ve basically repeated what you said (LOL) just in different words.

I am glad you agree!!

Best,

Usman@FirstHosting April 1, 2011 at 2:47 am

I do agree Steve, both type of people are wrong (saying luck have nothing to do with, and saying luck is everything)

The perfect guy is one who can believe that he/she needs to work and see how it works, luck work when we help our self.

and btw nice post.

Jayne Kopp April 3, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Hi Usman, thanks so much for stopping by. Lovely to meet you.

Yes… I suppose that is the truth. Luck doesn’t always show up when we need it though, so helping it along increases our chances of having luck pour in.

I know what you are saying.

Hope you are having a great weekend!

Usman@FirstHosting April 8, 2011 at 11:11 pm

You’re welcome Jayne!

btw I want to say nice post.

Marty March 31, 2011 at 11:33 am

Taking a choice has become a theme that I have used recently when coaching people. In the last 4 months, I have rarely watched TV. I’ve simply been aware that it is on. The rest of the time I’ve been working at my full time job, writing and reading articles, practising and playing gigs with my band and popping out to the pub for a pint at the end of the day. (Of course, in between I’ve been doing other important things like paying attention to my family).
Making a choice and deciding is the key. It’s scary and yes I’m frightened of what might happen. I’m doing it all then same.

Jayne Kopp March 31, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Hi Marty, I am glad to see you are keeping busy then!

You know life if too short to sit around and mope when we all could be embracing opportunities that come our way.

Getting out there and trying new things is how to make the most of our time on earth!

Oh My…look at that, your next post is on this very topic! LOL

I’m off to read it soon!

Thanks for popping in, have a pint for me tonight will you… or maybe a ‘lager and black’ … we can’t get them here or at least they’re not the same as they are in Yorkshire!