Why Do Men and Women Think Differently? | Fun Friday Answer

by Jayne Kopp on April 8, 2011

men and women think | mens brains vs. womens brains

Mens Brains Vs. Womens Brains

It’s often been said that men and women think differently, in fact there is even a book about it “Men are From Mars and Women are From Venus”.

I’ve never read this entire book to be honest; I guess it didn’t get straight to the point… at least not quickly enough for me!

Although I’m well aware (believe me!! ;-) ) that there are differences between the way men and women think, I’ve always rolled my eyes and chosen to grin and bear it!

Still… the nagging at the back of my mind would not subside. I just couldn’t seem to simply accept and be satisfied to leave the issue alone due to the repetitive string of mind boggling events I am forced to endure daily.

Here is a shortlist of questions that trouble me about why men and women think differently:

How is it that what I deem important or a matter of urgency seems to have the polar opposite effect on my hubby?

My hair could be on fire, yet my “DH” would ask me to hang tough until the he’s finished watching the game!

Why is it that men seem to think its “ok” the drop their drawers, (not to mention every other stitch) on the floor and walk away. Do they think the pile will miraculously grow legs and jog to the hamper by itself? Do they think the ‘cleaning fairy’ comes to the house when they’re at work?

Why is it “ok” to put a glass on an antique wooden piece of furniture and then be impartial to the permanent white ring it leaves? :-(

Why is it difficult to explain that the Harley and Golf Clubs will NOT blend in with the living room décor… or the fact that it’s NOT ok to replace the Bateman Print with a NASCAR poster?

Why does replacing batteries in the remote control override the smoke detector?

My personal fave (as of late)… Why can he not understand how I can stare at my laptop screen, yet has no trouble staring at the TV Screen?

This is only a brief sampling of my concerns… in fact I haven’t even scratched the surface. :-|

After much research, I’m ecstatic to reveal I’ve finally found the answers we’ve all been waiting for! The following video could not be clearer and I firmly believe it will serve as a great resource for both men and women alike! Hallelujah!

Check out this video to find every answer you’ve ever wanted to know about why men and women think differently!

I hope you all found this lesson helpful. I feel it proves there is a definite difference between men’s brains and women’s brains… and here lies the answer to what humanity has asked for decades as to why men and women think differently!

Does this answer your questions? :-)

Oliver Tausend April 12, 2011 at 12:34 am

interesting topic :-) I personally don’t believe in huge differences between men and women, other than biological ones. Of course, there are differences, but aren’t they created by the long-held assumption that there must be differences ? Probably they are only there to be overcome – just like the differences between races and nationalities. To be exact, differences are never the problem, the inability to deal with them properly is. One result of this inability is any type of discrimination, including self-imposed and perceived discrimination.

Why would women want to join the workforce like men do ? To be in the rat race as well ? I believe that most women are smarter than most men and know very well that this is not the best option. Paying strangers good money to take care of one’s kids is not smart if there are alternatives, such as home-based businesses.

What do you think ?

Jayne Kopp April 13, 2011 at 10:15 am

Hi Oliver… I don’t necessarily think women are ‘smarter’ … at least not all the time! :-) .

As a person who was in the work force with men… doing the same kind of work, I am sure glad I came to my senses. I spend many a year in steel toes running my own industrial equipment business!

Once the children came along, I was very fortunate to have my mom nanny full time, but even so I am glad I made the decision to come and fulfill this very important and rewarding part of my life personally.

Take care Oliver and I’ll see you soon.

Gregory McGuire April 11, 2011 at 4:41 am

What he says is so true (and hilarious). Our brains really are wired differently. I wonder if men’s “boxes” are the reason we have a difficult time focusing on more than one thing at a time.

For example, my wife can be having a phone conversation, cooking dinner, and watching TV all at once. Whereas, if I’m reading and somebody makes a noise, my concentration is gone.

Thanks for sharing this thought-provoking and funny post.

Gregory

Jayne Kopp April 13, 2011 at 10:17 am

Hi Gregory, lovely to meet you.

I found this funny too. There are parts of it I can totally relate to when I think of my other half!

The post was really in jest, but I do believe there are parts that are SO true. The focusing on one thing at a time is definitely a man-trait that I personally experience… daily! :-)

Josh Garcia April 10, 2011 at 8:02 pm

After reading this, sounds like you should have a talk with you husband.

Thanks for finding the answer to this question. ;)

Have a great day…
Josh

Jayne Kopp April 10, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Hi Josh, though what I have said is no exaggeration, the post is in jest and for a bit of fun. We are different from each other, and most men and women can relate to the video which is btw the main attraction. I find the way he explains our differences is so much fun.

Hope you are enjoying your Sunday Eve. I’m just getting caught up.

bye for now.

Diana Simon April 9, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Hi Jayne, my husband is actually the opposite of what you described LOL. He actually put things in the laundry basket and doesn’t leave things laying around. Where does this put him? He does however, focus only one thing at a time. On the other hand, I enjoy multitasking but lately, I have learned that doing so means not focusing. I am slowly learning to focus on one task at a time and see that it’s more effective.

Jayne Kopp April 10, 2011 at 7:46 pm

You know Diana, I do know men who are very particular. The post rings true to a huge percentage of the population and hence is something many of us can laugh and appreciate.

I am a person who tends to multi task way too often. I wish sometimes I did have the gift of focusing on one thing only!! LOL

thanks for stopping.

Jane | Find All Answers April 9, 2011 at 10:47 am

You have touched a very important point – I wouldn’t say it is important for all; only women are concerned about this difference and men don’t bother.

I sometimes become so annoyed and frustrated when I see how men can take certain serious things in a very light manner. I wish I could write about it on my blog, but I will have an angry mob of men commenting (or literally fighting) at me; it has happened to me once.

The interesting thing is that men always have a nice explanation for their behavior. So these days I have learned how they are wired (well indeed there is no wiring, if can be bit harsh) and realizing that I am wired, I am simply proud of it.

Thanks for helping me bring out some emotion. Sorry if I have pointed over any of the male readers of this blog.

Cheers,
Jane.

Jayne Kopp April 10, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Hi Jane. Thanks for your comment. I agree that sometimes it is frustrating, the difference between the genders that is. sometimes it can be hurtful if we feel something is very important, and it is shrugged off. Mind you if it was shrugged off my anyone it would be challenging.

I have learned to try to look at the funny side as the huge majority of the population agree that this rings true for most couples.

I can sense that at this moment perhaps a nerve is pinched with my friend Jane?? he he…

talk soon!

Emmanuel April 9, 2011 at 10:38 am

Yeah men and women have a lot of differences (and similarities). But that’s what makes us a unique breed. I wonder how the world will look like if we all think alike. Robots.

Jayne Kopp April 10, 2011 at 7:56 pm

HI Emmanual, we definitely do have our differences. I just embrace them and deal with the way it is in most cases.

You are right however that things would be pretty boring if we were all carbon copies!

thanks for stopping!

Stacy | Grow With Stacy April 9, 2011 at 8:50 am

From what I’ve heard we’re not missing much by not reading the Men are from Mars Women are from Venus” book. When I was in college getting my Psy degree one professor said that there was absolutely no research behind the book so as far as it being a solid relationship book it’s lacking a lot.

Men and women are certainly different in so many ways! It’s definitely hard wiring no matter how much some people say it’s the way that they are brought up. Aside from being a parent I’ve spent many years in the child care field and I can tell you that boys and girls are extremely different from a very young age! Regardless of who raises them or how.

It’s funny that you showed that video because I had just watched a video by him this week.

Have a great weekend!

Jayne Kopp April 10, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Hey Stacy, thanks for stopping. I am glad we missed nothing by not reading the book!

I agree that girls and boys are very different. Though I don’t run a daycare, I do have one of each and my house is playdate central much of the time. It is amazing to see the differences of the little peeps!

I really put this post up for fun. I find it quite humorous and feel that most people can relate.

Hope you are having a great weekend.

Steve Nicholas April 8, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Great post, Jayne! I think that the box analogy also applies with food. My wife is surprised at how many times I get annoyed when my food touches on the plate. Maybe that’s a leftover from my military days, but I just think it’s kind of funny when such things happen. That being said, it seems like there are definitely times in our relationship where each of us have felt like the other one was brining up issues that were not germane to the topic at hand ;-)

Jayne Kopp April 10, 2011 at 8:03 pm

HI Steve… really?? I have heard some people don’t like their food to touch. What happens when you go to a restaurant? I’m genuinely curious.

It is really quite amazing what bothers some of us. I don’t think it’s a laughing matter… nor do I think we need to get our nickers in a twist about it. We all have different preferences that’s all and things cannot be taken too seriously.

Hence the video… I meant this post to be a bit of fun…. although I fully agree that in most relationships we experience these differences.

I hope your weekend is going well. I am still on your heels by the way!! LOL

Janet @ The Natural Networker April 8, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Jayne, aloha. Well, that clip certainly answers the question. It is clear, compelling and oh-so-true.

Interestingly enough, I imagine that most women already know that men’s brains are made up of little, non-touching boxes while everything in women’s brain is connected. Though we know that men are not able to multi-task as women do quite naturally, I don’t think that many of us fully appreciated the inherent challenges presented by the non-touching boxes. Jayne, I don’t know about you, however, I am soooo glad that everything is connected and touching in my brain; I treasure my wiring!

Okay, Jayne, now that this one “sweet mystery of life” is solved, let’s move onto the next.

Seriously, thanks so much for the smiles and the education. What a great way to learn. Best wishes for a fantastic weekend. Aloha. Janet

Jon April 9, 2011 at 11:16 am

I agree, Janet. I never heard it explained as in this “box” example but I like it and am familiar with the concepts. Women are better at having that fluent thought and making connections better than men are.

We typically deal with one topic/train of thought at a time and can’t be bothered (not that we’re incapable) to do much else.

For marketers, it serves us well to have a firm grip on the psychology between the genders and even different age groups of our target audience.

In relationships, if we worked on listening to our partners more to help understand which “box(es) they’re opening” we would side-step a lot of problems!

Thanks, Jayne.

Jon

Jayne Kopp April 10, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Hey Jon, I thought the box analogy was good too.

I think we hve to try to take each other for who we are and be glad for the way things were designed.

I do feel that understanding that men are wired differently from women does help with relationship issues. I do believe there is a lot to it.

Hope you are having a good weekend.

best

Jayne Kopp April 10, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Hey Janet, thanks so much for the comment. I do hope that while it is true we are so different, that this post was humorous as that was the intent. I found this gentleman quite entertaining.

I too am glad for my hard wiring!

thanks Janet for stopping. I am just getting caught up so my apologies for the late response.

bye for now!

Jayne Kopp April 10, 2011 at 8:09 pm

I too am glad for my hard wiring!

bye for now!