Will Starting a Business Change Your Life?

by Jayne Kopp on April 20, 2011

i want to change my life, change your life, life changes

Fix You First!

If you’re looking to start a business to change your life, I suppose it ‘may’ be possible, BUT only if you’re willing to change you first!

This post is inspired by a call I received earlier this morning from a lady, Tracy, who found my website and was obviously looking to make some life changes.

I asked Tracy what she hoped to accomplish and what prompted her to call. “I want to change my life” was her response, “but I have no idea where to start.”

I have to admit, that as sad as it sounds, I can totally relate to where she’s at as a few years ago; I was in the same boat!

You see, although I have always felt blessed, there was a time when ‘things’ (a lot of things) just were not as I had imagined and I was plain fed up.

I knew that some ‘things’ I couldn’t control, but I also knew there were some that I could.

In other words, we cannot always control the actions of others or some of the challenges life throws our way, but we can control our own reaction and how we use these experiences to improve and create a brighter future.

I believe we all go through phases of needing to make life changes during our ride on this cool planet.

As I’ve already said, thankfully there are solutions, but as I explained to Tracy that while I really admire the fact she took that important first step to contact me, I couldn’t change her life for her, nor could my business… I could only share the details of my turning point.

You see, my turning point was when I swallowed the hard pill to start with ME.

In other words, I had to embrace the fact that in order to change my life, I had to mend the condition of my inside before I could shine on the outside and progress.

Many of us don’t like to admit that change has to come from the inside out…. I didn’t either initially.

As many of you know already, although I am a huge proponent of personal development. What I don’t like to admit is it took me 40 years to recognize the importance!

When I first started my journey as an internet entrepreneur, I began distributing a multi level marketing product and opportunity. Although I loved the company and the products… and even today I still feel it is a first class organization… I just wasn’t able to make it happen.

It wasn’t anything to do with the opportunity itself… it had everything to do with me.

I know looking back that even then I recognized this… though I was originally hoping a financial improvement might result in a personal improvement automatically. My old mindset was putting the cart before the horse!

It wasn’t until I was tired of trying that I was able to switch on the light bulb of reality, and when I did, I for the first time, found a business that put personal change in priority of financial change. In other words, I found a company whose main focus is to fix you; before it helps you fix your bank account.

After going through the program and being spit out at the other end feeling like a brand new person :-) , I was refreshed, rewired and in a much better position to build my business.

As a mater of fact, I still enjoy the same business, personally and financially three years later!

Now don’t let me give you the wrong message here. As much as my business acted as the important navigation tool to strengthen my overall perspective, it was actually the choice I personally made to make things happen.

Once I explained this to Tracy, I was pleased to hear that she had recognized the same need within herself and this was actually the real reason she reached out.

In conclusion, I firmly believe that if you are looking for a business opportunity in order to change your life, you’re barking up the wrong tree unless you’re willing to work on you ahead of anything else.

If you do have this important first step in place, then in my opinion you will go further to make life changes, regardless of the route you take, the business you choose, or anything else you do in life for that matter.

A positive mindset and healthy attitude can take you places you never thought possible and based on my personal experience since becoming involved in my business, as well as seeing the personal transformation in others, it was one of the best decisions I made.

If you’re searching the web and thinking to yourself “I want to change my life”… don’t look for a magic wand. Instead look in the mirror.

If you would like my assistance to point you in the right direction to help you change your life (business opportunity aside) …and also to see if what helped me might also help you, contact me at any time

Rowena Bolo April 26, 2011 at 12:19 am

Hope you had a wonderful Easter celebration! Wow, this post all the more proves that I am treading the right direction. This is exactly the reason why I am ever grateful to the network marketing industry. It has shifted my mindset, and I never realized this fact about ‘growing oneself’ when I was still employed. Although I am very much committed as a network marketing professional, I agree with what Marcus and you said, that – “even if they aren’t successful and opt out, I feel sure that they are one step further along the path to finding the best place for them to realize their own power and greatness.”

I now live by this statement (and yes, its from Michael Dlouhy :-) ) – “You have to become more, to have more!”. I got to brace myself for the challenges ahead, and stories such as the ones you share, always give me encouragement and much inspiration. Thanks Jayne, and I love learning from you!

- Rowena

Jayne Kopp April 27, 2011 at 11:13 am

Hi Rowena, Thanks so much for your lovely comment as always!

I am so glad Michael has been able to help you along with Oliver of course. He is (or both are wonderful human beings)

with that said, so are you! :-) and you will certainly go far with that sparkly attitude.

I am so pleased you enjoyed the post! xo

Josh Garcia April 24, 2011 at 5:35 pm

You are correct! You must change yourself if you plan on achieving any level of success. Before I start working with anyone one in my business. I make sure they understand the importance that in order for them to succeed they must get uncomfortable for a small period by the changes that is going to take place.

Have a great day…
Josh

Jayne Kopp April 24, 2011 at 6:02 pm

HI Josh, you are bang on my friend. thanks for stopping!

Golda Smith April 23, 2011 at 8:48 pm

It always starts within doesn’t it? I can’t tell you how many times I’ve looked for the solution in a book, program, some other outside source. It’s no wonder that I never found contentment. It wasn’t until I began to take a long look at myself and started right where I was with what I had that I started to make a real change.

Golda

Jayne Kopp April 24, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Hey Golda, good to see you. Yes it’s once you succumb to the uncomfortable that it all falls into place!

Thanks for stopping by

Tosin@Home-Based Business Coach April 22, 2011 at 2:24 am

What an awesome reminder! It makes me remember one of my favourite quotes by Jim Rohn

“Work more on yourself than your business”

Success in life is from the inside out, not the other way round and when we take the time to improve ourselves, we come to see results in all spheres of our lives.

Thanks for the beautifully crafted message in the phone call, Jayne!

Tosin

Jayne Kopp April 24, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Hey Tosin, you know it’s funny I have heard a few Jim Rohn mentions in relation to this post lately!

Thanks for your kind words. See you around the blogosphere!

Devesh April 22, 2011 at 2:03 am

Awesome post. It needs to come from within you. No one can make you difference person.

Thanks for sharing your insights and experiences.

Really great work this post, Jayne. I just Retweeted it and voted it on Blokube.

Have a great weekend !

Dev

Jayne Kopp April 22, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Hey Thanks Dev. Its always a pleasure to see you and get positive feedback. I only state the truth in my post.

Your inside is the first place we have to fix. Outside becomes a whole lot brighter after that.

thanks for voting and sharing. See you soon!

Allie April 21, 2011 at 3:35 pm

A few years back I got that “a ha” moment when I realized in order to success at anything in life I need to have a stable inner self. No outside force was going to help or change me for the better, that was up to me. And anything I worked on was going to fail until I knew how to accept myself.

Things changed and relationship got easier.

When you start with yourself, the things you do seem to work out easier. You seem to have a more clear plan.

~Allie

Jayne Kopp April 21, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Hi Allie, No kidding, I really think that a lot of it has to do with getting rid of baggage… not necessarily horrible baggage, just getting over yourself and lightening up. What is, is… and its ok… but when you know what to tweak and can accept things and own yourself… things do seem to just flow better don’t they.

thanks for the great comment. I’m glad you could relate.

Adrienne April 21, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Now you KNOW I love this post Jayne… Not only can I relate, I’ve walked in your shoes too!

I can’t tell you how many people I know that are not willing to take a hard look at themselves. It makes me sad which is why I’ve walked away from some very long term friendships. Change starts with you and the sooner you realize this, the better life will be. I love that you are reaching out to others and willing to help them with this journey. There are so many people out there that are raring to go but have no idea how to start.

Thanks for sharing this and a little about where you were. See, we are all just human too.

Adrienne

Jayne Kopp April 21, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Hi Adrienne, thanks so much for coming by. You know… it’s funny, I realized that we are all human too during this transition and that even though we are different, we are the same in many ways. Its ok… as long as we handle ourselves right.

I know all about the ‘shedding’ friend things… time is too valuable to have someone else suck your energy. After all discovering yourself is all about controlling yourself too…and that also means who you hang with.

Thanks for adding value I do KNOW you know ALL about it!

Have a wonderful weekend If I don’t run into you over Easter weekend on the Blogosphere!

Gregory McGuire April 21, 2011 at 11:42 am

What you say is so true. We believe that externals can change our lives. We only need to look at lottery winners to see the truth. Most have lost all their winnings within 2 years.

As Jim Rohn said, “You must work harder on yourself than on your job.” If you focus on improving yourself on the inside, the outside has to follow suit.

No business, job, or amount of money can make us feel complete. That’s a do-it-yourself job.

Great information. Thanks for sharing!

Gregory

Jayne Kopp April 21, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Hey Gregory, thanks for stopping by to see me. I love Jim Rohn and what he taught and said while he was here will last and be passed through many future generations.

Working on us is the only thing we can control and it matters not what goes on externally after that. I love your analogy of lottery winner… how many times I have heard similar stories.

Thanks for the great comment.

Tommy DiPietro | Weight Loss Challenge April 21, 2011 at 10:34 am

This post couldn’t of come at a better time.

Even though I have had success with my business over the past 3 years, I am still not where I wanted to be.

It seemed that I did lose myself over the past 5 years and that I am dedicated to ‘fixing’ myself.

I know this will help me become a better leader and it will make me a happy person.

One of the things I did during the process was create a network within my business for distributors to use my site as a directory and network with others.

I felt this was a step in the right direction because I took the lead and built it on my own. I know it is a long process but I am willing to do what is takes to find myself and fix it for good.

Great post Jayne!

Tommy D.

Dr. Bob Clarke April 21, 2011 at 8:49 am

I LOVE this post! You speak from the heart and your experiences will undoubtedly help others.

What you say is very true — financial improvement rarely leads to personal improvement.. it’s the other way around. When you begin to change the way you think and see the world, when you begin to think in abundance rather than scarcity, BIG things will happen.

If you’re stuck in your business and not getting anywhere, look to the inside and understand why YOU aren’t making it happen!

Great advice, Jayne. Love your blog!

Jayne Kopp April 21, 2011 at 9:25 am

Hello Dr . Bob… how lovely to meet you.

Thanks so much for your kind words.

It’s so true though isn’t it that we rarely look inside to see why the outside isn’t as rosy as we wish it were.

Business does take work… but so do we… and it’s the ones who develop on the inside that gain the strength to produce results on the outside.

thanks for stopping, it’s a pleasure to meet you.

Marcus Baker April 21, 2011 at 7:23 am

We always try to resist going within because it’s scary and hard work but as you know Jayne, it is also totally worth it.

At one point I used to feel sad that so many people did not “make it” in network marketing but these days I think differently.

It really does provide a context for challenging people to face themselves and even if they aren’t successful and opt out, I feel sure that they are one step further along the path to finding the best place for them to realize their own power and greatness.

Now I’m not saying that Tracy should have started a business to try and change her life, definitely not. You gave her fantastic advice and probably saved her a lot of money and heartache too.

Jayne Kopp April 21, 2011 at 9:23 am

Hi Marcus, how lovely to see your smiling face as always.

You know, it’s funny, obviously I want people to join me in my business, but I have never been one to have people join for the wrong reasons.

Not only do they definitely have to change the inside of them (as scary as it is) but they have to gain strength from that too, because as I always say, and told Tracy… You need this strength to build this as a business too if you choose to.

Its one thing to join this program (as you know) to gain a self growth mindset (personally) but on the business level you need this because it’s bleedin hard work.

Tracy did join me… but I told her she is going to have to work to learn … and she will need to draw on the ‘new’ her to succeed. It just “aint” as easy as signing up and sitting.

With that said, I do believe that anyone can succeed but they are going to have to STAY strong and connected to themselves to keep going after they realize their phone will not ring off the hook… at least not for a while.

I am only just at the point where I can count on a few calls per week… and that’s ok… but It’s taken a while to get me there. I also believe it’s taken me a while to grow personally in the meantime so maybe I had some growing to do before things turned around…(?) Perhaps.

Lovely to see you Marcus. as you say… developing us is really worth it. I think we get more out of life when we do.

Lou Barba@informationhighwaycardandgiftshop.com April 21, 2011 at 5:38 am

My attitude is that I am a success already, and that my success doesn’t come from anything that happens in my business. My personal relationship with Jesus Christ is the cause and the fruit of my success. Whatever happens or doesn’t happen in my business is because of what He wants me to accomplish in the journey of my life. “Seek first the kingdom of God, and all these things will be added unto you.”

Lou Barba

Jayne Kopp April 21, 2011 at 9:29 am

Hi Lou, how lovely to meet you.

I am with you 100%. I cherish my relationship too, and firmly believe that we are all created equal with the same amount of possibilities. I also feel He is right behind us… and cheering us on the do the work we are meant to do.

Wonderful seeing you and thanks for such a wonderfully grounded comment!

Jane | Find All Answers April 20, 2011 at 7:28 pm

It is always effective to realize that the change should begin from “me” in the first place – this applies to any area, personal or business.

I used to be once a girl when I just wouldn’t accept this fact whatever. I always blame the surroundings or other persons, and always try to find a reason for why something is not working; the reason would always not be me!

I realized that it was a great blunder and it stagnates all sorts of progress! The more I learned to realize the fixes (and identifying them, that’s a challenge!) the more successful and respectable I became.

Cheers,
Jane.

Jayne Kopp April 21, 2011 at 9:14 am

Hey Jane, lovely to see you – I hope you are back to normal now!

Isn’t it funny that once we swallow the hard pill and look at our own faults and imperfections it goes much further than if we don’t?

One of the wonders of life and growth I guess!

Lovely to see you!

Be over at your place soon!

Janet @ The Natural Networker April 20, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Jayne, aloha. Definitely, Jayne, you were the voice of experience speaking to Tracy–and a very wise one at that. As Jim Rohn always said:

“For things to change, you have to change.”

Simple, true and effective.

As you know, Jayne, it’s easy to say the words yet not so easy to do the actions.

People have to realize that they and they alone are the only ones who can make a difference in their lives. It has to come from within not from without. No business, person or event is going to make you a different person. Your reaction to one of them might start you down a new path, however, you have to decide to change.

As Mark Gorman always said: “Change. You’ve got 5 minutes.” Though people would laugh, it’s an extremely powerful message. All you have to do is decide to change and the process begins.

Jayne, sounds like you would be a perfect person to mentor Tracy. Best wishes to the two of you. Aloha. Janet

Jayne Kopp April 21, 2011 at 9:16 am

Hi Janet, Thanks so much for your kind words and the way you always add value and expand on posts.

What you said about ‘Change, You’ve got 5 minutes” is SO true. I was thinking about a similar situation earlier… and plan to write on Decision making. This is because it only really takes a split decision to make one if we just DO it.

Thanks so much for coming.

Marty April 20, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Bravo Jayne!
You really do state how it is with honesty. It is that point of realisation. I tried an all out business years ago but was nowhere near ready on an emotional and spiritual level back then. I crashed and it hurt. REALLY HURT! Personal growth is just so important. I know I have a lot more to do.
Getting to balance right is the key.
Thank you!

Jayne Kopp April 20, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Hey Marty… how I’ve missed you. I took a few steps back to catch up for a few days. Knackered after the challenge and things really needed a bit of attention around here!

I firmly believe that we all need to be ready to make changes as much on the inside as on the outside in order to not to crash and burn and get hurt as you said. It’s real important isn’t it?

I’m glad you could relate Marty.

I can’t wait to take a buzz over to your site to see what’s going on. I have a lot to catch up on! I’ve sure missed reading your posts though. I’m more or less on track though so It won’t be long before I’m back upto speed!

thanks for stopping!