Don’t be Nosey| Mind Your Own Business

by Jayne Kopp on May 4, 2011

mind your own business, online business, own business

Don't be Nosey!

When running your own online business there comes a time when you’re better just to stop being nosey and mind your own business!

What I’m trying to get at is the simple fact that you can’t be everywhere all at the same time, nor can you do everything all at the same time either…. and if you try nothing is done well.

I know that when running your own online business, there is always SO much to learn and so many new techniques popping up all the time.

Everybody finds something that is the next latest and greatest thing, and in many cases, the people sharing the tips are plain generous and usually right on the money.

But….

The problem is that if we become too concerned with what everybody else is doing, it’s sometimes difficult to focus on what we are doing.

What’s worse is we end up not putting anything into practice because we are so engrossed in watching others who are, that we become trapped in a state of overwhelm. :-|

Often, we don’t know what to do first and sometimes end up putting the cart before the horse in any event, that is if we find the time to do anything at all!

Don’t get me wrong, I love being part of a wonderful group of helpful people, wouldn’t have it any other way to be honest…but I’ve had to implement a few personal rules for myself… much to my chagrin. :-(

I simply found that even though I have SO much to do, I can’t help being nosey and watching others… to the point that I have had to ‘ground’ myself from my online friends for a few days! :-)

There’s nothing wrong with following others and learning from leaders, but one has to occasionally put their foot down and get the things off our own plates before we add more to it.

It’s kind of like how they say, don’t let your eyes be bigger than your belly… or don’t bite off more than you can chew.

I have also noticed with some people… and I suppose I’ve been there before, that it can become frustrating and a little demoralizing too.

Sometimes you see someone who has less experience propel to such great heights and you start to wonder what the heck you are not doing that they are doing when you feel to be working just as hard, if not harder!…

The best thing to do in this case is put on the brakes and stop being so blinking nosey!

Make a note if you must about some of the smashing ideas, but first of all take care of yourself and mind your own business before you start getting too fancy.

You see, we are all different and have different skill sets. Some people are better at some things than others. That doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a bad thing, in fact it’s perfectly OK!

You see, our businesses are about US… and are as individual as we are!

The way we do things will attract some people, while other peoples businesses will attract others, but with that said, if we don’t take the time to actually do some work on our OWN individual businesses… we won’t be attracting anyone… AT ALL!

It’s OK just to be YOU… and it’s no use trying, no matter how hard you may want to, to be anyone other than who you are OR do things you just not armed to do right NOW.

I suppose this is true for anything in life, whether you are marketing an online business or not.

So often we, as peculiar little humans, are so concerned with what others are doing or trying and we force ourselves to ‘try’ to keep up with the Jones’s, that we miss the essence of living in the moment.

Its plain daft really.

We need to embrace and work the heck out of what we currently do well.

There will eventually come a time and a place for other things to come into play and if you just relax and put your blinders on once in a while, Not only does it help with the stress factor, but you actually accomplish more by doing less AND enjoy what you are doing in the process.

These last few days I have stuck my head in the sand and although my human nature has kicked in from time to time where I have wanted to keep my finger on the almighty pulse, I had to withdraw for a few days to get a project off my plate.

I can’t tell you how much better I feel. I feel so fresh I need a slap! :-)

If you try to do too many things at once, nothing is done well and you till feel niggled at the end of the day anyway.

I firmly believe that by being satisfied with what you have or know, and working with just that is ample. When the time is right you will have or do additional things or tasks once you have mastered your own routine.

I saw a really neat movie the other day that is more about life in general, and I’d really love you to watch it.

I believe you will relate to the simplicity of the message and really appreciate it if you are finding you are trying to spread yourself too thin, but particularly… if you don’t feel ‘satisfied’ by who you are or your achievements.

I suppose there are many messages within this movie… just about being satisfied and content content with life in general.

WATCH THIS MOVIE HERE! (It’s wonderful)

If you really want to succeed with your online business, do one thing at a time and do it well. Once mastered adopt another technique.

Make a schedule if your slate is full and work within it and perhaps block off a couple of hours on certain days to experiment with new intriguing tips you’ve learned.

Same with daily life, online business aside. Live your life with deep gratitude for what you have and know. Just enjoy being yourself and don’t be too concerned with how other people run their own affairs, OR where they are or what they have.

In other words, in work, life or play, just mind your own business and don’t be nosey and keep your eyes on your own fries! Be satisfied and content and glad for the here and now!

You’re perfect the way you are and will grow much faster and be more effective with the right attitude.

Who else has had a problem with being nosey… and how do you mind your own business?

Tara May 22, 2011 at 4:39 am

Count me in for being nosey Jayne.lol I would like to blame FACEBOOK for most of my procrastination because everytime I open it, it seems like time is so fast and that I’m already behind my work. Its so easy to check on others’ profiles and updates that we tend to forget our work already. We all need to focus and self-disciplined because once we fall prey of procrastination, we’ll definitely lose track of time.

Marcus Baker May 8, 2011 at 4:55 am

I think there are always reasons why we are not minding our own business. One of the main culprits is simply that of procrastination. It’s a reason to keep us away from what we are fearing to do.

Well done on pulling back and focusing on what you needed to get done. I look forward to hearing all about your success in the days ahead.

Jayne Kopp May 9, 2011 at 1:45 pm

HI Marcus, you are probably right… sometimes any reason not to face the nasty jobs will do!

sometimes though I just can’t stop absorbing… the problem is I don’t always apply what I have absorbed… then I forget what it was I soaked up in the first place.

It really can be a nasty and evil circle! Ha ha.

Lovely to see you … I am doing my best to pull back… hence the late response. I appreciate you popping by.

Devesh May 7, 2011 at 7:34 pm

It is good to know you’re working on a book. Congratulations to you!

Very Interesting Post, Jayne. Loved it. I really like the point that you just have to do your thing. Thanks for sharing this fantastic post.

Enjoy your rest of the weekend.

~Dev

Jayne Kopp May 9, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Hi Devesh… yip… you really do just have to do your thing.

The book is a success series by about 20 authors, me being one of them. It’s fun, but it’s work. I am looking forward to the end result.

Thanks for stopping Dev… see you soon.

Steve Nicholas May 6, 2011 at 8:13 am

Great post, Jayne! I really like the point that you just have to do your thing. I know that there have been times, especially in the beginning, where I was so caught up in learning how to do things that I forgot to actually implement them. I just remind myself that if I wait for “perfect,” it’s not going to happen, so I just do the best I can with what I have and work on building and improving along the way.

Jayne Kopp May 9, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Well said Steve. You have to do what you can… but make sure you implement what you know before you get carried away and forget as you mentioned.

Yes… perfect never comes… so you just have to tighten your seatbelt and get moving!

Lovely to see you.

Tim May 6, 2011 at 5:31 am

Jayne, firstly congratulations in knowing that you’ve got to work one thing at a time and in respect grounded yourself! I like the idea and it shows the leader in us. If I can’t discipline myself, who will?

In my market area which is marketing and search engine optimization, many new tricks creep up everyday and novice rush to use them leaving the time-tested fundamentals they are supposed to be using. At the end of the day, the rush back to rush to another trick…little wonder why very few are successful in the world of search engine optimization.

This your approach will work for anyone! Thanks for throwing in the lights Jayne! Enjoy your day!

Tim

Jayne Kopp May 9, 2011 at 1:48 pm

HI Tim, Lovely to see you. Yes there is always something to learn and we may as well do what we can first… and do it well, rather than try to do everything poorly.

Thanks for the comment. I am still grounded by the way, so sorry for the late response.

sharlene May 6, 2011 at 5:23 am

what i do not like at all is when people nosey at the things that are personal to me online when look at my own personal things its impolite ignorant arrogant and outright plain disturbing to think that others have nothng better to do then to check out what you see as personal to yourself and have to look…but will never tell you because then you will know they are one of the above mentioned people but will not tell you cos they know they have been busted beng nosey anyway god sees all and there is no escaping that so my advise to people like this is…..keep your nose in your own buisiness and you will suceed further in life…and remember god saw what you done…………………….even if i dident!!….shame on you!!……

Jayne Kopp May 9, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Hi Sharlene… thanks for stopping by. Yes we must sometimes worry about us… and not worry about anyone else or what they are doing.

thanks for stopping by

Oliver Tausend May 6, 2011 at 2:30 am

thanks for your call to minding our own businesses. Watching what others do paralyzes all the time and what works for others doesn’t automatically work for us. Nothing worse than changing something that work for the sake of imitating someone else’s strategy. Don’t fix things unless they’re broken.

There’s one keyword most people underestimate: It’s maintenance. Every little thing you start or add to your daily routine requires maintenance. A new bookmarking service, a new social network, a new tribe – everything. So never underestimate maintenance.

Jayne Kopp May 9, 2011 at 1:51 pm

HI Oliver, yes maintenance is very important… that and consistency with what we DO do well.

I have quite a lot of maintenance to catch up on. Perhaps I should put that on my list while I am still grounded!

Sorry for the late response… I’ve just been minding my own business!

Jane | Blogging Tips May 6, 2011 at 12:05 am

You flushed out my feelings. I still need to be grounded. I am way too much being nosey this week. I am a silent watcher and a very poor doer.

I am admitting that I haven’t written any posts for the past two days, no brainstorming for ideas, nothing (the posts I scheduled earlier keeps my blog going). It feels that I am taking a bit off by relaxing, but still I am being stagnant. I found last night (before reading your post) that I am being distracted a lot by watching others, mainly on Twitter and my Google reader.

Well, I left a lot of meaningful comments but still, I just left so many ideas go away without even bothering about them. Because I was so bothered about what others were doing.

Oh so you got a confession from me :) I am grounding myself.

Cheers,
Jane.

Jayne Kopp May 9, 2011 at 1:52 pm

How’s the grounding doing Jane. I hope you are extending your grounding period til you can get caught up. I know the feeling of frustration when you have been moseying around trying to absorb everyone else’s business. It’s debilitating.

Hope your week is a good one and you are overly productive to get caught up!

Janet @ The Natural Networker May 5, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Jayne, aloha. Well, I guess that explains where you have been and why we missed you in CM. CONGRATULATIONS on recognizing what was happening and grounding yourself. Jayne, I absolutely love that idea and will be using it in future conversations with people.

Just as “what you think of me is none of my business” so too is what we see or perceive in other’s lives/success is not the reality they we. Jayne, far too often it seems that we beat ourselves up over what we think others have accomplished that we have not.

Maybe that person who seems to be soaring to the top, has so much misery going on at home that all they can do is stay up all night working on their blog, writing e-books, etc. WOW! Doesn’t that put it in a new perspective.

Jayne, you are on a roll. Your posts the last two days have been incredible. Thx so much. Until next time, take good care. Aloha. Janet

P.S. Please behave so you don’t have to ground yourself again; I missed seeing your smiling face and your posts.

Jayne Kopp May 9, 2011 at 10:52 pm

HI Janet, you have such a lovely way of assuring me that I am on the right track. I wish the little pieces of land where we reside were closer so I could give you a hug! :-)

You are right Janet about some people don’t make the right choices to both enjoy life and accomplish other things at the same time.

I always focus on my bit WHY — my kidlets, so I have to make sure I try to make some form of progress daily to maintain this Stay at Home Status.

Its about putting blinders on and going for it!

Thanks for stopping by!

Adrienne May 5, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Hey Jane,

I do understand exactly what you are saying and I am proud to say that I don’t fall under that nosey category. I’m like the movie, I live simply, I don’t need much, I’m always grateful and I certainly don’t care which cup I drink my coffee in. It’s not about the cup, it’s about savoring the taste which in this case is life. I’m grateful for every single minute of every single day!

Thank you for this lesson. I believe we all need reminding.

Jayne Kopp May 9, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Adrienne, I am sorry for the late response, I have been busy minding my own business!

As for you… I can tell you are that type of person. I actually am the same but used to get mesmerized by all the shiny things… and it is really debilitating.

You are right… I love life… and everyone in it. That means you too… and I am so pleased we met!

Catarina Alexon May 5, 2011 at 10:39 am

Agree with you Jayne. No matter what you do you have to develop your brand and do what’s right for you and your brand.

Almost every day someone comes up with a new online marketing strategy/gadget/technique that he/she considers to be a must. Well it’s not. We can’t do everything. And if we split ourselves into doing to many things we will lose out.

So find out what works for you and just do that.

Jayne Kopp May 9, 2011 at 2:15 pm

HI Catarina, yes we do have to develop our brand and do what is right for who we are first and foremost. We can start adopting the ideas of others once we have what and who we are down to a science.

There are millions of things hitting the web daily… a person cannot do everything very well, so its best to go with what we can do and improve as time will permit.

Stacy | Grow With Stacy May 5, 2011 at 10:03 am

Great play on words! :) I love it! I really need to take your advice, though I did get a start yesterday, I got some time in working on my upcoming project (after some major procrastination) and I not only became much more motivated but I was having a great time too.

Thanks for a great post,

Jayne Kopp May 9, 2011 at 2:17 pm

HI Stacy, you always amaze me anyway. I am sure you are fairly disciplined to be able to fit everything you fit into a day.

Its funny how we can be self motivated and enjoy it while staying within our own little worlds isn’t it?

Lovely to see you and sorry for the late response… I have just been minding my own business.

see you soon.

Rowena Bolo May 5, 2011 at 3:17 am

No wonder we’ve missed you in CM forum :-) But it’s very good to know that you now have the draft of your book! Yay, Congratulations to you!

I’ve got nothing else to add here, except for “I’m guilty!” haha but like you, I’m getting better with minding my own business. Like what Marty said, it’s totally draining our energy. We’re not students anymore that we should compare notes. Yet, it’s really human nature to compare ourselves with others. And that video – “Life is like Coffee” contains a life lesson which everyone should know about. We are enough and we should always be grateful for what we have been blessed now.

Thank you Jayne… I so loved the video. Now, you know I’ll be sharing this post on FB :-)

- Rowena

Jayne Kopp May 9, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Lovely to see you Rowena, sorry for the late response… been busy minding my own business.

Yes it can be draining spreading ourselves too thin. I am glad you are getting better at it… even if you are doing it from Paris!!!!!

see you soon

Jayne Kopp May 4, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Exactly Marty. I guess I speak the truth because I’ve been such a silly bugger in the past… always lollygaggying instead of just putting my nose to the grind. I think it comes from being such a sponge that I tried to learn so much, and after a while my poor tiny mind couldn’t handle it… and I was left in a state of confusion.

I am a bit better now, but I have to work on focus… on my stuff. You can always add more once you do something well and as you say… it’s satisfying when we accomplish something for US based on our judgement.

Lovely to see you Marty… I can honestly say I will be back to my commenting routine effectively now I got the ‘draft’ of my book to the editor. In case you hadn’t noticed I’d been a little MIA … just couldnt seem to get everything done. Feel much better now.

see you soon.

marty May 4, 2011 at 2:53 pm

What is it about you Jay that you speak such truth? I sometimes get trapped as you state. It is energy draining to concentrate too much on how others are doing. Sometimes, I choose to just trust in my own judgement and see what happens. It doesn’t always work, but when it does it is just so much of a better feeling.

Jayne Kopp May 4, 2011 at 3:48 pm