Live Life to its Fullest – Final Words From a Deceased Blogger

by Jayne Kopp on May 11, 2011

Life as if you were to die tomorrow

Live Life

Do you live life to the fullest? What would happen if you were to die tomorrow?

This post is a news flash so – to speak… in fact it has interrupted the post I have in line for … well…tomorrow I guess… that is if I’m here to do it!

I’m not joking either… we don’t know what the future holds do we?

Don’t sweat the small stuff, live life to the fullest, be grateful, & enjoy… we do not know what the future holds.

This is the message written by Derek K Miller, a British Columbia Blogger… who pre-wrote his final post post to be published for his loyal readers AFTER his death.

On May 3rd, 2011 Derek K. Miller, a British Columbia blogger lost his battle with cancer in Burnaby, B.C. at 41. His final request to his family and friends was for them to publish this blog post – ‘The Last Post – and allow him to be the one to notify his readers of his passing.

Miller wrote:

“Here it is. I’m dead, and this is my last post to my blog. In advance, I asked that once my body finally shut down from the punishments of my cancer, then my family and friends publish this prepared message I wrote—the first part of the process of turning this from an active website to an archive.”

The above is a snippet from the Yahoo News Daily Brew sharing the now “Viral” blog post from Derek Miller.

‘The Last Post’ itself is a longer read… probably will take you about 5 minutes reading fast… but you will get the message LOUD AND CLEAR.

Click here for the Yahoo Daily Brew whole story…

And here to read “The Last Post” itself from Dereks popular blog PenMachine.com.

So often we get ourselves into a tizzy about stupid things and sweat the petty instead of simply embracing the beautiful and amazing gift of life… and of course the people we have in it.

Stop it!!

We, any one of us could (heaven forbid) die tomorrow! I’m not being morbid, and NO… I don’t like to think about it, but it is a reality and sometimes we all need to get slapped in the face by a frozen fish to realize how petty we can become over things that really don’t matter a darn.

If you’re in a place right now where you’re feeling a little out of sorts about something you ‘deem’ important… you need to read this for an immediate perspective shift.

No this isn’t the best work of art I’ve ever posted… not at all, but it’s the best message we (all of us can ever embrace). I do believe it was and is the most powerful post Derek ever wrote… or anyone ever could convey to our fellow humans for that matter.

I suppose in a way, I’ve written this for my circle of friends on the blogosphere.

We’ve become close and been through a few trials and tribulations.

It’s a camaraderie that can’t be explained unless you’re a blogger. Derek was, I am… and I hope I will be for many years… but again who knows…

With that said, it’s a post for all humans… blogger or otherwise… to live life to the fullest, live as if you were to die tomorrow & don’t sweat the small stuff!

I am off to bed now… so Good Night my beloved friends… God willing we will see one and other tomorrow and may it be many moons before we too might find ourselves facing our “Final Post”

What message might you share with the world if you were to write your last post? Please leave us a comment below!

RIP Derek, you will be missed.

Tara May 22, 2011 at 4:15 am

Sad to hear that we’ve lost such a great blogger. This is the kind of encouragement I want to hear Jayne. I have some things I want to do but I don’t have a lot of guts to do it. Some people close to me think I am just spending too much on not-so-important things. But what they don’t understand is that those are the things that make me happy and relieve my stress. I think I deserve to do what I want to do since I’m working too hard to earn for a living… anyway, thanks for sharing the news Jane.

Jayne Kopp June 2, 2011 at 10:06 am

Hi Tara, I am so sorry for not responding sooner. Sometimes comments slip under the wire and I don’t always see them, or do momentarily… then my memory, though very good, gets very short! :-)

Yes, we have to do the things that makes us happy, although I have found … later in life, that sometimes we just have to break through the barriers of fear to take us to another level of life.

Reading things like this post from Derek makes us all realize to take the world by the short hairs and just live and enjoy… because we don’t know what’s around the corner!

What are some of the things that you’ve had limiting beliefs about?

Thanks for stopping by.

Live Life Every Day May 17, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Thank you very much for sharing this. Derek is truly an inspiration to everyone. His story and his post remind us that we should all live every day like it’s our last because one day, it will be. Too many of us take life for granted and we go about our lives miserable and unhappy. Derek reminds us that life’s too short to waste any of it. We should take advantage of any and all opportunities that life throws at us.

You are absolutely correct. We should not sweat the small stuff. There’s too much good out there to be worrying about any of the bad stuff.

Thank you very much once again and keep livin’ life to the fullest every day!

Jayne Kopp May 19, 2011 at 10:35 am

Hello, and welcome to my blog. I have taken a look at yours and will be back to check you out in detail. you and me are on the same page.

I will admit, that even though I do not take life for granted, I can slip into the ‘petty’ zone. I am glad I have the backing of both common sense and experience to know how short life is. I think I am getting much better and keeping things in perspective.

Dereks message was very true and very touching. It is a good reminder for all of us isn’t it?!

nice to see you.

Live Life Every Day May 19, 2011 at 10:45 am

The fact that you already do not take life for granted is much more than many people can say. We are all human and we will slip up every now and then, but as long as we do not forget that every day we are alive is a blessing, we will be ok.

Your positivity is unfortunately rare in today’s world. We need more people like you!

Thank you for checking out my blog. The goal is to inspire the world, even if it’s one person at a time!

Tommy DiPietro | Weight Loss Challenge May 13, 2011 at 10:56 am

This was really a powerful story.

You sometimes forget how much of a gift we have being able to live on Earth and enjoy the day like we should. I am guilty of this at times and when you read this story you appreciate what we have.

Live everyday to the fullest because you never know.

I would be in a daze at times and say ‘snap out of it, you have plenty of stuff to do and to enjoy’. That is why I appreciate the life I have especially with my children.

Thanks for sharing!
Tommy D.

Jayne Kopp May 13, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Hi Tommy, I’m with you. The gift of my children was the best on of my life. I do my darnedest to make sure I grasp every moment with them. Particularly in light of the fact that I am an ‘older’ mom… both mine were surprises, the last one at the age of 40.

I’m aware that I ‘aint no spring chicken… so I try to make the most of it.. just incase… (no words necessary! :-) )

I am so glad you enjoyed Dereks story. He shared a good perspective and kick in the butt for many.

Best regards

Marcus Baker May 13, 2011 at 6:02 am

A very poignant post.

None of us can anticipate what it will be like to know we are going to die until this is our reality. So what we write now and what we’d write when we know we are to die, might be very different.

I think many people in life who may claim to believe that there is nothing more when the physical body dies, often re-visit this when faced by death. Is this because of an “inspired knowing” or a reaction to the fear of what is to come?

According to his post, he did not change his mind nor did he fear death even though he believed it was final.

What he wrote was very honest and obviously he did not fear death as being the end he believed it to be. That in itself says a lot about him whether we agree with his beliefs or not.

What exactly does living life to the fullest mean?

I believe it means living honestly. It means being who we are without being concerned about what others think about us.

It means being true to ourselves and our beliefs and expressing our values through life in everything we do so that whenever our time to pass comes, we have none or few regrets about not having been all that we could have been.

What was more sad for me was reading the comments that followed the post. It seemed to me that many demonstrated exactly how caught up they are in the “small stuff”.

Thank you Jayne for sharing this post with me.

Jayne Kopp May 13, 2011 at 9:54 am

HI Marcus, thanks for such a thoughtful comment. I could tell that this post had the same effect on you as me… and likely many of us.

I thought about a number of things too… had many mixed emotions… put myself in his place (to the best of my ability of course)… then back in my own shoes….and thought about all the ingredients of living a full life.

I think a biggy is worrying about others. Oh yes I’ve done it… but now so much now. I think spontaneity and knowing how to have fun and enjoy with loved ones is huge… and as you say being comfortable with ourselves, our beliefs, etc…

I was not quite clear on what you thought on his thoughts… about the end being the end. I understand you feel he is strong, doesn’t fear death… but do you think that underneath he ‘hopes’ for something more? Yes chooses to believe there isn’t because he wants to avoid disappointment. (ie: Prepare for the worst…)?

Lovely to see you Marcus. This post had a profound effect on many of us. (his post that is) … oh… and you are most welcome! :-)

Marcus Baker May 17, 2011 at 7:33 am

Hi Jayne

Hard to know what he really thinks about the end.

He seems to be quite matter of fact about it but I find it difficult to accept that anybody about to die can accept that there is nothing more.

My intuition tells me that we probably all want to believe there is more no mater what we may have believed in life.

Jayne Kopp May 17, 2011 at 10:33 am

Hi Marcus, I am with you on that 100%. I hope (and believe) he knows different now… and feels relief! :-)

Rowena Bolo May 13, 2011 at 12:57 am

I finally made it here! (now, this will take seconds hehe) ;-)

I was reading all the comments, and your post is a blessing. The wisdom that I took from your insights, the commentators and Derek himself are astounding.

I had mixed emotions just like Jon. Being 30, I feel that I am young, but knowing that Derek was only 41 when he died, this also is a wake-up call to me to truly live my life to the fullest. I have been pondering about what Oliver and Janet said, and indeed Fear of death is Fear of Life.

I don’t know how else to add to the discussion here, because really life is a mystery. Given this, we shouldn’t try and over-analyze everything that’s happening in our lives, we need only live
in the NOW. Our gratefulness for even the littlest things will give us a fulfilling life.

I picture myself, my husband and my family truly enjoying financial freedom. But I also believe that it’s all about the journey and not about the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Thank you for sharing this powerful post. I see today as truly a ‘present’ from God.

- Rowena

Jayne Kopp May 13, 2011 at 9:59 am

Hi Rowena, I absolutely agree wholeheartedly… we really should not over analyze… its more like work to do things that way. We all need to go with the flow a bit more and say the heck with piddly time wasters. We do need to enjoy the journey… I wonder how we can do a better job? I enjoy what I do… but I have a destination… and frankly can’t wait to get there.

With that said, however, I am grateful…

I am so glad you enjoyed this post. It really is an emotion-stirrer.

Lovely to see you my friend… and don’t worry about staying on my blog… I am really only teasing you when I say I’m watch ing you! Because we are at different ends of the day to eachother… I usually peek at my clickly just before I go to bed… funnily… often that seems to be the time you log on LOL… I do NOT sit there and watch you all night… ha ha… That’d be sad!!

I am just trying to tease you and give you a chuckle… that ‘s all! ha ha.

talk soon

Elmar Sandyck May 12, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Hi Jayne!

So uncanny when I just commented in Oliver Tausend’s blog about the topic on regrets and I narrated the story of Mitch Albom’s “Tuesdays with Morrie.”

It goes without saying that we should really live life to the fullest. No excuses. Time is not on our side and before we know it, we have missed out on a lot of good things life had to offer and we just blew it.

In essence this would probably be the message I will be posting in contemplation of death: live.

Jayne Kopp May 13, 2011 at 10:06 am

Hi Elmar… lovely to see you again. I’m liking this!!

Tuesdays with Morrie… hmmm yet another book to write on my must read list….

You are absolutely correct Elmar… ‘Time is NOT on our side’… you know, I’ve never said that before… I “knew” it… obviously… but never actually heard or said it!!

Yes… I try to do a better job each and every day of living life to the fullest. I am not the best ‘go with the flow’ type person… I am always thinking about what I should be accomplishing… but I am trying to ‘chill out’ a bit more and learn to settle and enjoy occasionally too.

As you say… I don’t want to be so set in my ways and miss out or blow lots of great opportunities.

Thanks so much for your input Elmar. I am entering the Tuesdays with Morrie on my list of books to read!

See you soon

Dr. Bob Clarke May 12, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Thanks, Jayne for bringing this to our attention. Yes, as everyone else has agreed, it is extremely powerful.

In general, people don’t like to contemplate their death, but I will tell you as a Baby Boomer that, the older you get, the more it tends to creep into your thoughts an unsuspecting times (at least for me).

I’ve found that they key is to not let things go unfinished. Call that friend who deserves your call instead of watching the ball game on TV.

Go visit your family member who you had a falling out with. Fix it. Don’t leave things unsaid. Don’t be the one to lie on their death bed with regrets.

Yes, live life to the fullest, but also…. finish what you started!

Thanks, Jayne.

Jayne Kopp May 13, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Hi Dr. Bob, yes exactly… don’t let things be left undone… and try not to have regrets.

I am no spring chicken either ha ha… My kids were both surprises post 40 (the second one anyway) go figure… apparently I wouldn’t need your professional services LOL.

Because of my age… and having my kids… I do my best to be the best I can and live life fully with them! I too contemplate what things would be like if I wasn’t here… and being that I am all too aware of the possibilities of not being… especially after losing so many dear friends… and one just in January (that just about finished me off)… I do my best to live for NOW with the future in focus.

It’s hard though… we humans take things for granted so I work on myself every day with gratitude.

Thanks so much for your thoughtful message.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Janet @ The Natural Networker May 12, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Jayne, aloha. By reference, I am incorporating Oliver’s comment into my own. He said it so beautifully and so well.

Jayne, the only time we know we have for sure is NOW and that is why we must live each moment to the fullest.

What we must do is not fix problems, rather we must fix our thinking and the problems will fix themselves.

We must “let go” of that which does not serve us because the longer we hold onto it, the longer we are keeping ourselves apart from whet we want in our lives.

The title of the book “Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff because it’s all Small Stuff” is so true. Even when people throw tantrums about something, they rarely remember what it was about a week later. Yet, unfortunately, they have “wasted” hours, if not days, of theirs lives.

Jayne, as you can tell, I could continue on this path for quite a while. Instead, I will stop and thank you for this post sharing Derek’s last post.

Take good care, my friend. Aloha. Janet

Jayne Kopp May 13, 2011 at 12:30 pm

HI Janet… I too could participate in this conversation with you, and we could indeed discuss it for months… and months.

I have spend a lot of time wasting it! ha ha… sweating over everything that is small. GAWSH … why do we do it sometimes?

I know I am much improved… I am not the same person I used to be… but even today I was sweating bullets over something silly… I;m actually constructing a post about it because I was thinking to myself as I was driving…”oh you are being so silly stressing over something so miniscule”….

You know what it was? Every second Friday I pick the kids a lunch treat up and drop it at school when the bell rings. Its usually Sushi, or Subway… today they wanted McDonalds which is really unusual… we rarely go there.

So… here I was thinking about what an unhealthy treat I was taking… then I was worrying about what the other kids might think… then I was worried about not getting there in perfect time for the bell… ha ha shall I go on?

This felt like seriously serious stuff!! That is until I slapped myself.

Janet, I think we can all take a lesson from Dereks last post. It really stirred so many thoughts up in my mind.

Lovely to see you here. Have a wonderful weekend if I dont see you before!

Joe Young May 12, 2011 at 7:20 am

Hi Jayne, quite the story. It is sad, but also a great reminder to live life and not waste a moment in complaint. As Derek said in the end of his post, I loved you. In a world filled with anger, hatred, and violence his ending words I loved you – powerful!

thanks for sharing this,
Joe

Jayne Kopp May 12, 2011 at 9:16 am

Hi Joe, thanks for commenting. Yes it is sad… and as Jeanine said, it is sad that he seems not to believe there is anything afterwards. I would have preferred he said “I love you” …
I hope he knows different now and is at peace in his new location.

We should be grateful for every moment as we don’t know what the future holds.

Yes it was a powerful post that gave me a bunch of different feelings and thoughts as I read he final post.

Look after yourself my friend! Enjoy every moment of today.

Jeanine Byers Hoag @DressingMyTruth May 11, 2011 at 8:27 pm

What a powerful post, Jayne! And how sad that he doesn’t believe in any life after death.

That post certainly highlights the fact that no matter how much life we are given, it’s not going to seem long enough, so we better do all we can to enjoy every day we are given. Thanks for the reminder!

Jayne Kopp May 12, 2011 at 9:18 am

Hi Jeanine, thanks so much for your thoughtful comment.

Yes… it is sad… and actually I picked up on that with disappointment. I am sure he now knows differently.

Have a wonderful day… don’t waste a moment! :-)

Thanks for stopping by.

Jon May 11, 2011 at 7:21 pm

I read that and boy did it give me some mixed emotions. What a powerful ending too; sad. But joyous at the same time because Derek seemed to be at one with what was happening. He appreciated life and his family fully. He lived life fully while thinking and loving deeply.

The message I would share is life truly is too short. Enjoy each passing moment; look away from your computer or work space and out a window. Cherish the trees, grass, and air in your lungs. SMILE. Life is a wonderful thing.

Jon

Jayne Kopp May 12, 2011 at 9:20 am

HI Jon, yes I agree with you… I too had a series of emotions. As Jeanine said, it is sad he seems to think there is nothing afterwards other than he will return to dust… and that’s it… so to speak.

Its tough for us not to put ourselves in that situation too. Hmm I wonder what our readers would think or how they would feel.

He said to his readers “I loved you”… I am hoping now he is thinking “i love you” instead.

Yes you are right, we have so much to be grateful for… as I look outside at the beautiful trees and beach… we have a lot to enjoy while we are here.

Thanks for your thoughtful comment.

Mavis Nong @ Online Business Tools May 11, 2011 at 6:54 am

I agree with Oliver – what an inspiring bedtime story. I couldn’t agree with you more – don’t sweat the small stuff, live life to the fullest, be grateful and enjoy life.

Sad but true – life is too short. Live it to the fullest, live like there is no tomorrow, because tomorrow may never come.

Thanks for this thought-provoking and powerful message.

Sweet dreams my dear. See you tomorrow, God willing.

Mavis

Jayne Kopp May 12, 2011 at 9:22 am

HI Mavis, thanks so much for your thoughtful comment.

Yes, the sad reality is that we don’t know from one moment to the next what is in store for us.

It really was a powerful post. As Joe said, (above) he ended by saying “I loved you”… I hope he now knows there is something afterwards and is saying “i love you” instead.

Thanks for stopping by.

Oliver Tausend May 11, 2011 at 2:27 am

wow, what a powerful bedtime story. Mark Twain said:”A man who lives his life to the fullest is prepared to die anytime.” Of course, that doesn’t mean that we’re yearning for death but that we don’t have any regrets when we die, about what we did and about what we didn’t do.

If I were to die tonight, I would be happy and grateful that I started this journey that is the seed of a legacy, and that I still managed to leave this comment.

Of course many goals and ideas would remain unaccomplished, but if you live to the fullest, that will also be the case when you die at 120. It’s a journey that never ends. What happens after death, nobody knows so I wouldn’t count on that.

If we spare our life today for a life after death, we live in constant fear of Life – something we will eventually realize on our deathbed, when it’s too late. And if our soul gets a second chance, we start as a baby, lie in a cradle and we have to wait another 20 years until we really get started. So we’d better start living our life today. And even if we get a second chance in a different body, even better.

That’s something Mark Twain said also:”Fear of death is fear of life.”

Thanks again for a thought provoking post.

Jayne Kopp May 12, 2011 at 9:24 am

Thanks Oliver for your comment. I choose to live in faith that there will one day be a brand new heaven and a brand new earth and that we will live in the presence of the Lord.

I don’t fear death… but I would prefer to avoid it too… at least for another few decades.

We must take Life by the horns and live it to the fullest so that when we do exit, we know we have made the most of this gift.

Thanks Oliver, see you soon