How Do You Handle Change or Life Changing Events?

by Jayne Kopp on June 1, 2011

life changes, handle change, life changing events,

How well do you handle change or life changing events in this fast paced world of ours?

It seems to me there is always something new to face. Granted some changes are good, some bad, some gradual and some exceedingly speedy (technology for instance) but the fact is nothing stays the same.

Some of the most difficult of these are life changes; events that happen unexpectedly smack you upside the head and set you in a new direction.

I’ve had a few of those these last few years and recently I’ve spent time reviewing some of my own life changes and have come to the realization when compared to a few years ago…even I am not the same person I used to be. (At all!)

In most ways the difference is positive, but I have to admit, there is a part of me that feels it’s a shame that things don’t stay the same.

I guess the reason I think it’s a shame in some ways is because I’ve been blessed with a pretty awesome life and many of my fondest memories are from my childhood and teenage years although I am sure that one day, I’ll look back to ‘today’ and feel the same.

Lately though I have loved spending time in the past, reminiscing back to my younger days. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed closing my eyes and remembering the times I galloped across a field at break-neck speed on my trusty companion Limbo without a care in the world… or partying on the beach around a campfire with my friends.

I’ve enjoyed looking back so much that I’ve almost had to slap myself to bring me back to the here and now and depending on the moment … I’ve come down with a might bump! :-)

These memories have solidified the truth behind one of my favourite topics; one I write about often and stress the importance of living in the moment and the importance of gratitude and to enjoy everyone and everything in life while we can.

The older I get, the more I preach this and I suppose it’s because I have now lived through enough to know we can’t count on anything and never know how long things or people in our lives will be here to love and enjoy.

Almost daily I notice swift changes occurring in my family as well. My children Rosie now (8), and Joe (6) are growing like weeds. To me, this is amazing… it only seems like a few months ago I brought them home as brand new bundles. :-(

Today they are skateboarding, riding bikes, cheerleading, enjoying martial arts, playing with my iPhone (and even teaching me a thing or two)… not to mention downloading their own music from the iTunes Store. (Sigh) good grief… where has the time gone?

I’ve also noticed their independence grow in leaps and bounds to the point I am no longer “allowed” to kiss them in front of their school friends, and some days when enter the school, I’m lucky if I’m worthy of the ‘behind the back wave” :-|

I think one of the most shocking realizations to me though is just how different life is today and how quickly time flies.

You see, up until a few years ago, I just sailed through life ‘tickety boo’ without much thought. Sure, I made progress, worked hard and managed to accomplish some amazing things … but looking back, I never really took the time to embrace it.

Life seemed to move at a manageable pace. Everything naturally fell into place and I never seemed to have anything of a pressing nature to contend with.

Then one fine day, out of … “who knows where” life took an unexpected turn and came crashing down like a ton of bricks.

As some of you may already know, my marriage went sideways and ended in divorce.

This was a real eye opener for me and frankly I hate the fact that things worked out that way and still struggle with it from time to time. I certainly never expected ‘that’ would happen to me. After all you don’t get married to one day become adversaries do you?

To rub salt in the wound, I also made the decision to sell my beloved family business… one I’d grown from the ground up, in order to stay home with my children.

The end result was that I was left with no career, no income, a broken home and no idea what the future held. What the heck?

At the time of the upheaval, all I felt like doing was curling up in the fetal position and refusing to participate in daily life.

Thankfully I snapped out of it and recognized that nothing good would come out of that and knew I would have to make some choices. I knew I would have to grab the world by the short hairs and turn this life changing experience into something better and furthermore, “I” was the only person who could do it.

I won’t tell you it didn’t take courage. It did actually, and some of the challenges I’ve faced have not been an enjoyable ride.

On the upside however, though completely outside my comfort zone and knowing I had to do “something”, I took the steps to start my online business… and thankfully (for me anyway) chose a business in the personal development industry.

Its funny really how things fall into place and like the saying goes, “when the student is ready, the teacher appears”. I do believe that was the case for me and happened for a reason likely due to the fact I knew that the change had to start with me… from the ‘inside’ before I could shine again on the outside.

Much to my surprise, through this experience there have been many additional unexpected positives.

Some were as a direct result of my challenge, but most of them due to the new mindset I’d forced myself to develop as well as being open to new opportunities.

The biggest blessing is I now stay home to raise my children. If life had not taken this turn, I would have continued to leave the house every day to run my business for 12-14 hours at a time, and my mom would have ended up raising them for me.

I now know I will be eternally grateful for this opportunity of spending this precious time with them during their growing years and I am relieved that I won’t look back in 10 years regretting the fact that I missed out.

Also, due to building my online business and plucking up the courage to put myself out there, I have met dozens of new friends from all over the world; true friends who have lifted me up and supported me in ways I never though possible.

I’ve learned to use the internet to my advantage as well, though I’ve had a few struggles along the way (as we all do) and have had to learn new things by stepping outside of my comfort zone, the changes to my mindset and the determination to become stronger has been the most significant personal factor in creating this new life.

I suppose I’m telling you all of this is because it feels good to share it occasionally, but also because I’ve had the opportunity to talk to so many people who have suffered similarly… and knowing what I know now, I’m able to share advice based on first hand experience that ‘change’ is definitely what you make of it.

I honestly didn’t know before (probably didn’t give it a thought) that many people at some point or another face some sort of earth shattering life changing experience.

I’ve also learned that no matter how hard we’re hit or brought to our knees, the world doesn’t stop just because we’d like it to. In other words, it’s for us to handle like it or lump it!

Our only alternative or choice to pull out and progress is to look at our situation as an opportunity for improvement and to get busy to make things better.

The alternative of course is to remain stagnant and play the world’s smallest violin, but I’m sure you’ll agree nothing good will come out of that.

I do recognize we all face different circumstances, caused my different things. Your life changing experience might be due to losing a loved one, becoming unemployed or being hurt by a family member or friend.

Regardless of what “it” might be, I do know that during our trials we always pine for our lives to return to normal.

The truth is though, that life likely never will return to ‘normal’ after a real doozie, but depending on how you handle your situation you can start a new life by design if you play your cards right and decide to stand on your own two feet.

The most interesting conclusion I’ve drawn from both my observation and experience, is that it seems to me that it is the more painful or tough to handle changes that really shape our lives.

I have learned to look at unexpected life changing events as a wake up calls and I’m convinced that many things happen to force us to be the best we can be.

I also believe that there is good and bad in everything but always the opportunity for improvement as well as to learn many lessons along the way.

If you’re facing a challenging life changing experience at the moment, why not take the time to envision your ideal situation?

With this visualization, determine where you could make some new positive adjustments and set a few goals to work towards it. Once clear on your goals and you’ve determined how to become satisfied with life again, adjust your attitude and start taking the steps to reach them.

I am sure with the right mindset you will realize life holds many new and exciting opportunities there for the taking if you choose to participate.

Besides, life really is too short to focus on the things that go wrong when there is so much that can be made right.

One of my favourite quotes is by Dr. Wayne Dyer: ‘when you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change”.

It’s true, so why not make the decision to embrace all life changes and life changing events as life lessons instead. You just might find they’ll shape and strengthen you to discover personal power you never knew you had to enhance your new life in ways you never imagined.

If you’d like to learn more about the steps I took to handle change during a difficult time, feel free to contact me at any time.

If you’d like to share some of your life changing experiences, please leave me a comment below!

Related posts:

1. If You Could Live Life Over, What Would You Change? Would you live life over if you could? I’m not...
  2. Will Starting a Business Change Your Life? If you’re looking to start a business to change your...

Mavis Nong | Free Marketing Training June 13, 2011 at 8:18 am

What a beautiful post! Many of us can relate to your story :)

Agreed, “the only way things are going to change for us, is when we change”.

Success comes when you develop yourself beyond where you currently are. So, it’s important to work harder on yourself.

When changes happen in our lives, we need to embrace them with a positive attitude – it’s part of life.

Thanks for sharing your inspiring thoughts, Jayne.

Mavis
Mavis Nong | Free Marketing Training recently posted..QR Codes – A Smarter Way to Communicate With Your CustomersMy Profile

Kesha June 13, 2011 at 6:39 am

Hey Jayne, per your previous comment from another post of yours, yes, it is of no coincidence that we met and share like minds! I love it! :-)

The law of relativity and the notion of perspective living runs fluid in my life. I know that my experiences are based on HOW I see them and if anybody can change them, it’s ME!

Love this post, Jayne, as it too resonates with me and feels as if I wrote this ;-)

See ya lata Soul Sista!
Kesha recently posted..Hootsuite versus Tweetdeck- The Final VerdictMy Profile

Oliver Tausend June 6, 2011 at 7:32 am

you mention a very important fact: In a few years, you will look back on today the same way you look back to your childhood and youth. We acknowledge our successes and embellish our failures, and that’s OK, is it not ?

I don’t know about English-speaking countries, but we have the saying about the “good old times”. I cringe when I hear that from someone. Weren’t all times good in hindsight ? So if they are good in hindsight, why not recognizing today’s day as good today ?

Change is there always. It’s how we manage it and even co-create it. Why demonstrating against “globalization”, for example ? Who has the power to stop it ? Obama ? The Chinese ? Not really, I think. So what’s the point ?

Why do people demonstrate against something (or for something) that they can’t change easily and quickly ? How many demonstrants from the 70ies or 80ies have died already not because of the object the demonstrated against, but because they ate too much, drank too much alcohol and smoked ? Wouldn’t it be better to change those things first that can be changed easily and quickly, such as our very own unfavourable and non-supportive habits ?

Thanks for sharing your thought-provoking post.

P.S.: I want to point people to the most recent post on my blog – it’s the link below. It’s a post written by my wife that deals with our personal change management from her point of view ;-) A good fit for your post, I think.
Oliver Tausend recently posted..How To Become And How To Be A Network Marketing FamilyMy Profile

Jayne Kopp June 8, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Hi Oliver, thanks for your comment as always.

I am pleased you picked up on the point I mentioned that I would look back on today with the same feelings I look back on.

Yes, I agree, every day is a good day and we need to embrace that.

I don’t understand either why people demonstrate against something that cannot be changed, particularly when we can change so much about ourselves with better and more fulfilling results.

I read the post by Anke an it was wonderful to meet her. Definitely she shared some excellent thoughts.

Thanks Oliver.

Rowena Bolo June 5, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Hello Jayne :-)

I love that I was able to start my day with this beautiful post again! You write so well, Jayne. I always enjoy how you add humor to what might have been a serious topic on life matters. I am honored to know you, and I am glad to learn so much from your life experiences.

I too, agree that changes and difficulties are blessings. Although it’s difficult to embrace this mindset – really, if we want to be successful in life, we should welcome failures, and of course, changes.

As Dr Bob said, I’m sure many can relate to your story. I have been doing online marketing for almost a year now, and I also couldn’t believe how much I’ve changed! Greatly because we both discovered our industry which is truly a personal development business.

I know I have yet to face my biggest challenges, but people like you are already inspiring and helping me to prepare myself and be the best version that I can be.

Thanks for a lovely read, Jayne!

- Rowena

Jayne Kopp June 5, 2011 at 9:11 pm

HI Rowena, Thanks so much for your kind words. I too am honored to have met you as my friend.

I like you feel we do have to embrace change, even the not so good changes, but after writing the post I have thought some more… and I think this topic can be looked at from other angles. (something I will be writing on soon… so stay tuned ;-) )

Being in this industry changes us I think. I truly believe that ‘most’ people in the online marketing world face changes, challenges and if they stick to it with the right attitude grow. I just dont think you can get away from it.

As you say, we do ‘learn’ from one and other. Some people I have met have taught me SO much… on greater levels too… it truly is amazing and a definite perk I didn’t expect.

Lovely to see you Rowena. I always love to learn from YOU too.. and hear your well balanced input on my posts.

Take care and see you tomorrow.

Jane | Blogging Tips June 5, 2011 at 10:21 am

I am a person who loves changes. I always embrace changes and would like to have fresh perspectives. I like to try new things; that makes my life adventurous for most times.

I must say that I will be bored otherwise, if I follow a straight line analogy, that repeats itself. Life is so short, and one cannot afford to make mistakes; I agree. But life also needs to be lived off in the ultimately useful and fun way possible.

Cheers,
Jane.
Jane | Blogging Tips recently posted..Long Distance Relationship- 5 Tips To Make It Happy And HealthyMy Profile

Jayne Kopp June 5, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Hi Jane, great to see you. I like ‘making’ changes… but have not experienced many personal changes that I enjoy going through at the time.

For example… progress, betterment… even struggles while working towards a goal… I enjoy.

Heartwrenching changes… not so much… but because I try to stay open and turn things around… and have been able to do so, I recognize the necessity of an open mind and often as you already know I’m sure… positives come out in the wash more often than not.

I have had so many natural pleasant changes that I have enjoyed as well, simply because life is different all the time. My earth-shattering one was not easy to come out of.

I love to see people who lead lives full of adventure. I am quite pleased with the adventure side myself.

See you soon

Todd | Channelingmyself June 4, 2011 at 8:43 pm

I’ve always liked the quote by Walter Breuning, who recently died at the age of 114. He said this about change, Embrace change, even when the change slaps you in the face. (“Every change is good.”) It was one of his secrets for living such a long life.
Todd | Channelingmyself recently posted..Creatures of HabitMy Profile

Jayne Kopp June 4, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Hi Todd, great to meet you. That is very uplifting. That should mean that perhaps I might live until I am at least that!?

Sorry, just being cheeky.

I guess once you realize you should ‘embrace change rather than fight it or let it kick the krap out of you… then perhaps it might not kill you! That just could be the secret when it comes to ‘not so easy to handle’ situations.

Thanks so much for sharing Walter Breuning’s quote… and for introducing yourself over here.

Best regards

Justin | Mazzastick June 4, 2011 at 5:32 am

I love that quote by Wayne Dyer. I find it is easier to accept change when I am mentally prepared for it. But when it is a surprise it shocks us so to speak.

Accepting that change is on of a few constants in our world has made life much easier for me.

Because time is speeding up/vibrating faster we don’t have the time to resist change or what is happening but rather we have to keep flowing down the stream.
Justin | Mazzastick recently posted..Are You Behaving Like A ReptileMy Profile

Jayne Kopp June 4, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Hey Justin, you know I could have sworn I responded to this earlier. Apparently not… perhaps the phone rang or the kids called before I actually hit ‘reply’… sorry in any event for the slow response.

SO… is THAT what it is. That things ARE vibrating much faster… ??

You know I have been saying that for years.. “I’m sure ‘things’ are going much faster than they used to”….

My vibes have carried me down stream so fast, I almost needed an airbag when things changed so abruptly.

Like you, I am ok when I have sorted ‘it’ out, but hit me with immense change unexpectedly, … not so good…

Thankfully, although it nearly killed me (seriously)… I learned from it…. still wonder how I’m here sometimes! :-)

Thanks for stopping by again Justin. Lovely to see you.

Dev June 3, 2011 at 11:09 am

Excellent Post. It is awesome to read of your experiences. I’ve had several life changing periods in my life and i learn one things changes are what helps us to grow.

Thanks for sharing this great post and have a great weekend.

~Dev
Dev recently posted..How to add Google Plus one button to WordPress &amp ThesisMy Profile

Jayne Kopp June 4, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Hey Dev, just wait till you get to MY age… you will have had twice as many and may have grown to the size of a giant by then! :-)

A very smart one that is!

Lovely to see you

Peppy | The PeppyWrites Chronicles June 3, 2011 at 10:52 am

A great, inspiring post! I remember when I was first diagnosed with Lou Gehrigs disease and told “no cure, no treatment.”

I told myself I had two choices – I could let the disease define me by controlling what is left of my life, thus making me bitter – or make the most of a situation I could not change by focusing on what I could change … and that was my attitude.

You are “bang on” – so much of the quality we have in our life starts with our attitude. A somewhat recent diagnosis of breast cancer has challenged my attitude and I find myself slipping into “feeling sorry for myself” at times … your article offers excellent “reminders” for me.

Just last week my sister was in a motorcycle accident – while she barely survived her injuries they did have to amputate her leg. I worry for her — she now has the choices set before her that you had to make, I had to make … so many have to make when hit with life changing events. This article is a great one to share with her when she is ‘ready’ to decide how she is going to go forward.

Thanks, Jayne, for the forthrightness in sharing your story … these are the Blogs I tend to enjoy the most because of they touch the reality of life with raw honesty.

I think your article will help many who are struggling right now due to life issues that are beyond their control.

I apologize if I appear “exploitative” of what’s going on in my life – definitely not the intent … sometimes it just has to be ‘voiced’ in the attempt to “ease the weight of the situation.”

Peppy
Peppy | The PeppyWrites Chronicles recently posted..Would You Like Something To Drink With That Foot In Your MouthMy Profile

Jayne Kopp June 3, 2011 at 11:16 am

Peppy, you are one of the most truly amazing people I have met. I so admire your strength and bright outlook on life.

YOU should be one of the prime examples featured in this post to be honest.

I know by reading about you on your blog a little while ago, (I believe I left a comment or two)… I felt such a connection.

I know you don’t exploit what goes on in your life for sympathy, but rather to lead such an awesome example of what we all should focus on.

I have thought about you often, and feel you are a true example of how we should apply the law of relativity to our lives.

My situation is a mere nothing really, especially when compared to the daily challenges of others. I guess the human condition is such that we tend to live in our own bubbles to much of the time.

I have another personal friend who has a wonderful outlook… an while her reasons for remaining optimistic are for a different reason, you might also enjoy to learn about her story.

I’ll share the link : http://jaynekopp.com/2011/03/08/an-example-of-personal-strength-gratitude-despite-heartache/

I am so sorry to hear of your sisters accident and your recent diagnosis.

Please know you are all in my prayers and have me counting each and every blessing and focusing on everything that is so right. You are a true reminder of how we should live a life of gratitude.

I am off to attend my childrens Sports Day, but I will pop over to visit you later today! :-) ((hugs))

Diana Simon June 3, 2011 at 1:33 am

I get you when you talked about wanting to stay in status quo. Sometimes it is easier but I feel that change what helps us grow. When things are the same we won’t have the opportunity to stretch.

I had wondered recently why we resist change when change is so much a part of nature. Last month, we started to experience Spring and with the change of season, we also change. We change the type of clothes we use and find ways to adapt to this change in nature.

I have had my share of life changing events. However, each change has been a valuable lesson that has made me who I am today. It was never easy but a blessing in disguise.
Diana Simon recently posted..SEO 101- Basic and Simple Tips for BeginnersMy Profile

Jayne Kopp June 3, 2011 at 10:50 pm

Hi Diana, how lovely to see you again.

Yes, I do believe that most changes are blessings in disguise. Some of course we never know the reason, not in this lifetime anyway, but we can almost always find a lesson in any event.

lovely to see your smiling face.

talk soon

Steve Rice June 2, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Don’t know how I missed your blog as I’m seeing so many familiar faces in the comments section!

I’m SO grateful you stopped by my site, so I could see your comment luv and connect. I loved this post. The quote you used by Dr. Dyer is one of my favs as well.

It really has been true for me…in every situation and in ever circumstance, there has always been a different way to look at it!

Jayne Kopp June 2, 2011 at 11:09 pm

Oh Hello again Steve (ha ha) I just got your comment response… after leaving a comment on your blog. SO funny, I have been trying to get to bed all night too and left you a similar comment at the same time you were leaving me one. (LOL).

I love a good chuckle before bed! You know this blogging thing is totally addictive… no wonder I walk around like a zombie!

I am so glad I popped into your blog, I’m not even sure how I arrived to be honest. (really)… I just clicked on links, somehow got to Blog Interact I think (?)… must have seen something that looked interesting to my subconscious!

Isn’t it funny we never connected? I noticed a whole slew of buddies over at your place. wonder why I was never invited to the blogging Kappuccino party? LOL

I love Dr. Dyer too. That quote and “If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten”….

Mind you there are many more… and I had better stop as I feel a blog post coming on!!

Wonderful to connect. Have a great night. I will see you tomorrow!

Stacy | Grow With Stacy June 2, 2011 at 7:53 pm

It’s wonderful to read of your experiences, as always! It’s not wonderful that you have gone through a difficult patch, thinking so much about the past. But it is wonderful that you’ve worked through it, grown from it and shared with others.

I’ve gone through a stretch where I’ve grown a lot personally and as I look back on some very hard times I’m able to say that I’m grateful for those times. Not that I would want to relive them but they pushed me to grow and they brought about some unexpected outcomes in my life.

It’s one of those times where things come together and make more sense than they did before. There really is an overall purpose in everything, even the sufferings.

Hugs,
Stacy | Grow With Stacy recently posted..May HighlightsMy Profile

Jayne Kopp June 3, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Stacy, I really do think there is an overall purpose to be honest. We don’t always like having to learn the lessons we are faced with, but in the end, if we play our cards right, we can come out on top.

I think it’s good to stay close to the changes, and never forget them as all experiences make us who we are.

thanks for stopping

Jeanine Byers Hoag June 2, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Hi Jayne! This was a great post and I am really taking it in. I have a couple of difficult life changes going on right now and have faced them in the past. as well.

Like you said, it’s always tempting to review the past, when things were better, and avoid looking at how all of life offers a lesson if you’re willing to learn it. But I have been doing exactly as you said, and working on learning the lessons and healing whatever needs healing.

But I appreciate the reminder!!
Jeanine
Jeanine Byers Hoag recently posted..Real Momma- Real Style- Grey & Brown Capsule WardrobeMy Profile

Jayne Kopp June 3, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Hi Jeanine, isn’t it bizarre how we all have ‘something’ going on… and we are in a constant state of change.

I like to review the past, but I also now have started better planning the future because of changes … even the ones that occur now.

We never know what will happen, so we have to deal with changes and make the best out of them in order to heal.

I hope you get it sorted soon… I’m sure you will.

Talk soon

Melody | Deliberate Receiving June 2, 2011 at 11:32 am

Wow Jayne. Thanks for sharing such a personal story and making yourself so vulnerable. I’ve definitely had several life changing periods in my life. The hardest were when people just seemed to leave and gravitated right out of my reality. Looking back though, those were such valuable growth experiences for me. Being left alone forced me to think about things and clean up my energy. If I’d had anyone or anything to distract me, I wouldn’t have dealt the issues that were knocking at my door. :)

Hugs,
Melody
Melody | Deliberate Receiving recently posted..How To Get Out Of A FunkMy Profile

Jayne Kopp June 2, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Hi Melody, how wonderful to meet you. Thanks so much for taking the time to come over and have a look! I did drop by your’s earlier and shall definitely spend some time getting to know you and learn from your insights.

Is it not bizarre how being left ‘high and dry’ forces you to take the time to re evaluate things?

Thanks so much for adding to this conversation! Cant wait to connect more from now on!

Isn’t this just the best?? getting to know people from all over!?

have a wonderful night (probably more like your day)… I have not been home long, was out shopping with my kids, but alas, momma needs some shut eye!

bye for now.

Dr. Bob Clarke June 2, 2011 at 4:09 am

Hi Jayne!

Thank you so much for sharing your very personal life experiences. I’m sure that there are so many people out there reading this and saying, “I went through that, too!” Including me.

Have you ever heard people say that ‘it was just one of those years?”
Well, my “year” was 2004 and as you say, it was a doozie…. divorce, the death of both of my parents within 3 weeks of each other, and my kids moving to another state. I’ve never been so low. All that I had known was seemingly gone.

As you say, when this major life events happen life never returns back to the way it was.

But, happily like you I was able to pull myself up from my bootstraps and move forward. Actually, better than move forward. But it takes time and patience and persistence and, oh yes being able to tell yourself that everything will turn out okay.

I find that too often in our lives most of us are too hard on ourselves. I find that it’s essential to, every once in a while step back, take a good look at what you’ve done, and say YES!

In other words, there’s nothing wrong with being your own cheerleader.

Thanks for sharing this post, Jayne. As it was important for you to write, it will also be important for all your readers to read it!

Bob
Dr. Bob Clarke recently posted..An Exciting Month at BobandRosemarycom Top Commenter AwardsMy Profile

Jayne Kopp June 2, 2011 at 10:12 am

HI Bob, thanks so much for stopping. WOW… 2004 certainly was a doozie for you. I obviously need not explain the pain we feel when things happen.

You have done a wonderful job of shining. As you say it takes patience and persistence, but is it not so worth it in the end.

There is a lot of life to be lived, we need to live it. We are here for a good time, not a long time, so we need to be the best we can be.

I have met SO many people through my business who have suffered similarly. That’s where the Law of Relativity comes into play. Sometimes we find that our troubles are ones that some others would swap us for in a heartbeat.

Thanks so much Bob for adding to this conversation.

You are right, it is relieving to share it occasionally and my greatest hope is that others can relate and feel my passion and understanding. I am on a bit of a mission to try to help people get out of their own skin and battle challenges. That’s my main mission.

Steve Nicholas June 1, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Great post, Jayne! I think that there are times when we can just get overwhelmed, but there are times when we tend to let ourselves drown in it, but these seem to be the times that can help us build something better than we had before as long as we plan smart and act boldly.
Steve Nicholas recently posted..Changing GearsMy Profile

Jayne Kopp June 2, 2011 at 10:13 am

Hi STeve, how wonderful to see you lovely face again! You have been busy??

As you say, these ‘down and out’ times do serve as elements to help us build something better, but it takes effort and courage to take that first step. After the first step, things get easier and the sun starts to shine once again.

Thanks for stopping by Steve.

Jayne Kopp June 1, 2011 at 9:14 pm

HI Elmar, thanks so much for stopping by. You beat the crowds ha ha… you know, those who will be pounding at the door of my blog, almost crashing the server!!

Yes, I agree, we are evolving all the time… sometimes I would love the ‘freeze’ the moment though.

regarding ‘build it and they will come’… I do believe with persistence things will work out in the wash.

Funny though, i always tell people that putting up a site or blog is not like the ‘Field of Dreams’… what I mean of course is that one has to work with it.

Life is funny really isnt it. we never know what will land on our door!

Lovely to see you again… I think I might actually be getting caught up… at which point I may be able to post a little more frequently. Where does the time go?

see you soon

Elmar Sandyck June 1, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Hi Jayne!

Ooops, so sorry for the typo! I keyed in the wrong name! :) My sincerest apologies! :)

Jayne Kopp June 1, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Oh Arthur, you silly boy! Ha ha… no problem Elmar… I fixed it. I am on my way over to your blog as we type. I am looking forward to visiting, and actually intended to in any event! :-)

Elmar Sandyck June 1, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Hi Jayne!

Wow. This piece took my breath away. I’m so amazed how you’ve managed to turn your life around despite all the trials and tribulations that you’ve been through. That was a very honest and heart-wrenching account of your life story and I’m glad it has a happy ending.

While I was going over your post, I couldn’t help but be reminded by two sayings:

(1) Change is the only thing that is constant; and,
(2) If you build it; they will come.

Change is really inevitable. We couldn’t really remain stagnant as we are all in the process of evolving into different, yet better, persons everyday of our lives. These trials even shape us so we should actually welcome them and the lessons that they teach us.

In an online business, or any other business for that matter, the one true thing that could really spell the difference between success and failure is that crucial first step. Without this, you’ll never know what lies ahead and what’s in store for you. So, perhaps, burdened with some doubts and hesitations the first time, just persevere, hang on, and be patient – in time, through proper networking, your business will get around and you’ll get there.

Inspiring account of new beginnings. Thanks for sharing such a heartfelt post. :)

By the way, I do invite you to check out my latest post for some surprise. :)

Jayne Kopp June 1, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Life is funny really isnt it. we never know what will land on our door!

see you soon