Missed the Boat on Starting an Online Business?

by Jayne Kopp on June 15, 2011

missed the boat, missed opportunities, too late to start, online business

Missed the boat on getting started?

Do you feel you missed the boat on starting an online business?

In other words have you given up because you feel you’ve missed opportunities in the past, or feel doomed because you have procrastinated or waited too long?

If you do… please stop it!

I couldn’t help but write this post today due to the fact that I am simply amazed at how many people hold themselves back because they feel they have missed opportunities and regret not starting sooner.

As I mentioned in my last post on procrastination, I have the opportunity of talking to potential partners on a fairly regular basis.

Some people have procrastinated so long on getting started that they have convinced themselves they have waited too long… and that now there is too much competition so they wonder if they should ‘even bother’…. :-|

Sometimes I feel like laughing out loud… and saying “oh, yea… you’re right, now you’ve said that… I think I’ll just quit now too”… “Nice talking to you”… (ha ha)

It’s almost as daft as saying ‘because I skipped breakfast, there’s no point having lunch” LOL :-) :-)

(Ok… enough with the smart Alec remarks Jayne….)

I’m sure many of us may have all felt we’ve missed opportunities in the past, and might even have felt like kicking ourselves because of it at one time or another…but… we really must not allow this attitude to keep us from moving forward… because the truth is, its hogwash!!

People are starting online businesses daily; in fact, personal development/self growth and the home business industry are two of the fastest growing trends in the world.

Furthermore, numbers will continue to increase, (particularly in light of the economy) and the obvious fact that the internet certainly isn’t shrinking.

With this thought firmly planted between your ears, would you now not agree that it should make more sense to get started now rather than let more months or years pass?

In other words, even though you may have missed the boat on ‘other’ opportunities or missed your chance ‘then’ …it still doesn’t mean that it’s too late to participate and in the new ones that are happening NOW.

There are new opportunities popping up every day… actually … let me rephrase that: According to statistics, there are actually new business opportunities created every hour… and new entrepreneurs getting started every 8 seconds!

I don’t know about you, but personally I cannot help but firmly believe there is no time like the present to start making changes. After all, the sooner you start the sooner you will progress.

I realize the thoughts of breaking the ice into entrepreneurship can seem a little intimidating and even overwhelming at first if you have no experience but you should still realize that making excuses such as what you “shoulda, woulda, coulda done” is only a prime example of your brain blocking your success.

What you did… or in this case didn’t do in the past must be left in the past; instead you should embrace the fact that each and every day offers a new opportunity to create life changes and an improved economy. The only catch is, it’s up to you to take the world by the short hairs, get it going and stop making excuses.

As my coach says… “You don’t have to get it right, you just have to get it going”….and I can’t express how much truth lies within these few words.

I’ve also been known to say (so much that I often feel like a parrot), “we all start with no knowledge and have to learn as we go”.

Once you get started, you will always tweak and improve along the way… we all do, but at the end of the day, practice makes perfect… or at least gets you closer to where you want to be, rather than sitting on the fence playing your violin

Just think about it, in the time it took me to write this post, probably about 30 minutes, over two hundred people have hopped on board and are new entrepreneurs starting to create a brighter future.

Don’t you think it’s your turn?

If I have managed to convinced you that you haven’t missed the boat on getting started, and that there is another once coming in 8 seconds, might you consider hopping on board and joining us?

If you’re looking to make some positive life changes, would like to start an online business and need some assistance, contact me now and be in ahead of the next 200+ people who will be setting sail this next half hour!!. The clock is ticking…. ;-)

Joyce Oladipo June 28, 2011 at 6:55 am

When I was starting it, I always have a reason why I can get anything done. Some reasons include: Who am I, What do i think i know that is relevant for anyone. I don’t have the cash.

Then I started getting some encouragement from my husband to get out there and try it out. You never know it might work now have been at it for the past 2 years and loving.

Never say never. If we have a passion we should go for it.

Peppy | The PeppyWrites Chronicles June 24, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I’ve been behind in my reading since my sisters accident but things are settling down – she is now home(!) and I’m trying to catch up on posts I’ve missed.

I, too, loved your analogy about missing breakfast/skipping lunch! And what your coach said to you … ” doesn’t matter if you get it right – just get it going”.

I need to write that down and post it where I can look at it daily!

I hope you have a good weekend!

Peppy

Jayne Kopp June 24, 2011 at 4:00 pm

HI Peppy, you know, I have thought about you about a thousand times these last two or three days… wondering how you were, wondering how your sister was… and hoping all was going as well as possible.

I have popped over a couple of times to read a post or two. I knew you had not been around and not posted recently.

Lovely to hear from you.

Thanks re: analogy… and yes, Mikes saying about just getting going is so true.

Thanks Peppy, lovely to see you

xo

Lou Barba@informationhighwaycardandgiftshop.com June 23, 2011 at 8:08 am

I love the analogy you made about skipping breakfast so no point of eating lunch. It sounds like something I”d say. :) Procrastination is the other extreme of being a workaholic. I just read a post about workaholics, and the problems of trying to have a relationship with one, so either extreme is unpleasant. One is never available, and the other is a constant burden.

Thanks for your great post!

Lou

Jayne Kopp June 24, 2011 at 5:51 pm

HI Lou, lovely to see you. So your a smarty pants too are you?

That post sounds very interesting. I’m a bit of a workaholic to be honest and I know I drive my family nuts.

My other half knows how to just ‘chill’ and it drives me nuts to see him sitting there thinking with his ‘nothing box’… ha ha

Balance is definitely something to be improved on! :-)

Oliver Tausend June 22, 2011 at 2:35 am

what a wonderful post about the vice of procrastination. We procrastinated and now we’re calming ourselves by saying it’s too late.

Missed the boat ? Was it the last boat for all times, for ever ? When you miss the last boat of the day, just take the first boat of the next day or jump into the water and swim.

I couldn’t agree more with your coach. It’s so true.

Dev @ WordPress Security June 21, 2011 at 2:48 am

What a inspirational Post. You’re so right about new opportunities popping up every day.

Thanks for sharing this inspirational post with us.

~Dev

Jym @ Blogging Tols June 20, 2011 at 10:21 pm

I can’t help but think of the question:

“If not now, then when?”

It’s not as if we are getting any more courageous or ingenius with time. More experienced perhaps, but not necessarily more ‘ready’ to jump in and build our own business.

Entrepreneurship is not about waiting on the sidelines, it’s about planning and taking action strategically. After due diligence and preparation is done, it’s time to jump in!

Thanks Jayne, love your style as always.

Elmar Sandyck June 20, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Hi Jayne!

This is a good inspirational post especially for those who are, for probably years now!, are still contemplating whether or not to start their online business.

They need this kind of push! :)

Jayne Kopp June 23, 2011 at 9:17 am

Oh Emar, how I’ve missed you. I have been stuck in the state of busy this last few days. I’m just trying to get a few t hings sorted before the kids are off for the summer.

I am glad you agree that people need a push. This seems to have been a bit of a theme with me lately. I just hate to see people prevent themselves of experiencing working online for themselves.

It’s always scary for everyone at first, but if you don’t try, you never know. Not only are the financial rewards there for the taking, we also get to develop awesome friendships!

I am so pleased to have met you Elmar. You always brighten my day with your lovely smile!

Tosin June 20, 2011 at 10:28 am

I just hope I wont write a post with this comment. It so resonate with me. Let’s see how this will go.

Most of those who have bought brand new cars will relate with this.
Can you remember the first time you bought your car? You know it was a traumatic experience! Negotiating the price, title offices, taxes, registration, plates, the courthouse. So much to do!

What about your fourth car? I bet it was so easy, you hardly felt any unease at all about the process. You have developed a skill for buying cars.

Building a business online is similar, you get involved for the first time, and you have a lot of fear, and you don’t know what you are doing, and you goof up, and hope nobody will make fun of you.

Before long though, and I absolutely mean long enough, you get used to the feeling of helping people get out of that money trap, you love the fact that you are generating leads non-stop. You see people noticing you and wanting a piece of your attention. You are loving the process of personal development this industry has created. You adore the array of friendship you are having across the nations of the world.

Beginning and Practicing along the way is the fundamental key to learning to build a home based business. The more time you spend honing and improving your skills, the better you get at making increasing your value to other and getting paid ultimately.

The more you see yourself making progress, the more you like to spend time with it, so you get better and better at it, and you like building it more and more.

If you never sit down for the first time and get involved though, and suffer through the anguish of getting into something you were not trained for at school, you will never know the joy of living the life of your dreams.

The possibilities are endless and it is only those who take it upon themselves to let go of procrastination and take action that will reap the rewards.

It’s been a long one. Hope you dont mind, Jayne! :) Thanks!

~Tosin

Jayne Kopp June 23, 2011 at 9:14 am

Tosin, I loved your long post! Thanks so much for taking the time to get it off your chest! :-)

i agree with everything you said. Of course it’s always a little un-nerving the first time for anything at all, but as you say with constant practice things do get easier.

There are so many positives to getting out there online. I love it as you do. Not only for the financial rewards but the relationships. Who knew?

Thanks so much Tosin. I love to see your smiling face!

Stella | June 20, 2011 at 6:49 am

You know, Jayne, I think anyone can feel that they have missed the boat. It’s a human thing feeling ‘late’ to ‘start school’, ‘to get married’, to start a business’ etc.

I guess most of us felt like that too, at first.

However, anyone having that kind of feeling may just be needing someone to encourage them and tell them that there’s more than enough market to play in.

The only thing today is that there are way too many information out there and too many ‘teachers’, some of whom are not entrepreneurial minded. Therefore it’s important that anyone entering the market now needs to ‘shine their eyes’ to sift through the rubble to find a mentor (whether remotely or face-to-face).

Jayne, I’ve been reading your blog a while now and I notice you always find a way, in most posts, to reach out to prospective marketers and those standing in the middle ground of indecision.

Jayne Kopp June 23, 2011 at 9:12 am

HI Stella, thanks so much for stopping by my blog.

You are right, many of us do feel sometimes as we have started too late. Actually, I am one of them, even though I have been at it now for about three years. I wish I had started about 10 years ago :-) – that way I might be more ‘techie’… as you know, I know the basics, but wish I knew so much about many of the ‘inner workings’. You on the other hand seem to have that part licked! ha ha.

You are right also about choosing a mentor. The thing is, as long as the mentor is entrepreneurial minded, even if they dont know some things, they can at lease point their partners in the right direction. ie: there are people like you who share so freely.

Thanks so much for taking time out Stella. I can always sense how busy you are. It means a lot to me to have you pop by occasionally.

I do my best to ‘encourage’ people for sure. I do believe we can all make a difference and I hate to see people making excuses to hold themselves back.

Dr. Bob Clarke June 19, 2011 at 5:57 pm

You’re so right, Jayne..

I love that quote ”You don’t have to get it right, you just need to get it going.” This is so very true.

As you pointed out, there are new opportunities sprouting up every second and just as many (if not more) people looking to start a home business in the same time frame.

Sounds like new opportunities to me!

Great post, Jayne! Shake ‘em up! :-)

Bob

Jayne Kopp June 20, 2011 at 1:03 am

Hi Dr. Bob, thanks for stopping and leaving awesome comments as usual.

The world is full of new opportunities, sadly many people don’t jump on board. I don’t understand that mindset, I guess that’s why I ‘try’ to shake ‘em up!

Why wait??

Thanks Bob

Catarina Alexon June 18, 2011 at 10:37 am

Jayne, you can’t change the past. Have never understood why people get hung up on what they could or should have done in the past. l

The only thing you can change is the present and the future. So for anyone wanting to get into online business, today is the day to start. The longer they wait the more competition.

Jayne Kopp June 20, 2011 at 1:04 am

HI Catarina, exactly my thoughts! What’s done is done, but it’s never too late to start. Sooner than later though as you say. Why let everyone get ahead of you?

thanks for your comment!

Adrienne June 17, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I think anyone venturing into this business for the first time has some of those fears. I remember having some of those myself, but it didn’t stop me from starting. Not at all.

What I finally came to realize is that there might be millions of people trying to start some kind of home business or even promote the same opportunity you are interested in, but they aren’t you. We all have something to offer and share. The sooner we realize that the better off we’ll all be.

Thanks for sharing this Jayne. I enjoy hearing you tell us like it is.

Have a wonderful afternoon and a great weekend.

Adrienne

Jayne Kopp June 20, 2011 at 1:05 am

HI Adrienne, and I always love to see your smiling face.

Again, Adrienne, I am not surprised that you were not scared off. As you say, it can be a little intimidating, but heavens to mergotroyd, it’s only ‘us’ we have to answer to. If we are willing to get the heck going, we learn all that much sooner.

Arrggghh,,, you know my thoughts Adrienne, it’s sometimes like trying to get a round peg into a square hole… or vice versa!

thanks for stopping by to see me!

Heather C Stephens June 17, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Love your writing and sense of humor Jayne! :)

I rarely miss breakfast and lunch, or an opportunity to jump on board with something new to grow my business. It’s a blessing and a curse. I think sometimes we need to slow down and think about what we’re getting ourselves into and other times we need to stop thinking so much and just jump!

There’s the old saying that the best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago, the second best time is now. I think the same could fit for starting a business.

Great post!
Heather

Jayne Kopp June 20, 2011 at 1:08 am

HI Heather, I love that quote and have heard it too.

I’m basically the same as you in the Lunch, breakfast and opportunity department. The only issue I have is time and focus lately which I am sure comes as no surprise! ;-)

Despite certain emotional disractions (LOL) I still think a person needs to take the world by the horns and get going. I will never understand why people wait. I’m going to turn into one of these nutty women with sandwich boards before too long if this message doesn’t sink into some! Now imagine that sight for sore eyes!

thanks for stopping by Heather. Hope you had a great weekend.

marquita herald June 17, 2011 at 10:29 am

Really enjoyed your article Jayne, and I recognized so many people I’ve met and worked with over the years. Fear is always going to be there – if we’re lucky. I only say that because when we allow ourselves to get to a point where we have nothing to fear, we’re not growing. The best thing we can do for ourselves is learn to embrace fear simply as a part of getting one step closer to achieving our goals.

Jayne Kopp June 20, 2011 at 1:10 am

Hi Marty, I totally agree. A life completely free of fear would be not fun whatsoever. We wouldn’t grow or stretch ourselves and have a taste at many new things.

I think as long as we can determine what our fear stems from, and them of course address it and do whatever is necessary to keep it in check, we’re really living!

thanks for stopping by.

BTW… we know many of the same people by the sounds of it!

Melody | Deliberate Receiving June 16, 2011 at 11:04 am

Before I launched my site last year and then my blog this year, I had all these fears. Did the world really need another LOA site? But then I realized why all of the personal development gurus have been in business for 20, 30 or more years. There’s never a shortage of demand. Not everyone is going to resonate with the same teachers, and so, somewhere out there, was an audience that would benefit from what I had to say and that would resonate with me. It really helped me to get over this idea that the market was saturated. Then I got off my hiney and just jumped in.

We all have something valuable to offer the world. And as long as we act authentically, in line with who we really are, those who resonate with that, will find us. :o )

Hugs,
Melody

Jayne Kopp June 16, 2011 at 12:10 pm

HI Melody, I totally get where you were coming from and where you’re at.

That is something we all wonder. It is a matter of just ‘knowing’ there is lots of room for success. People are being introduced every day … and as you say, its a matter of how people resonate.

Not everyone wants a vocal high powered Guru… (actually I’m writing a post on this real soon – in draft mode) … but we all are attracted to different people.

As for the Law of Attraction, I don’t think it can be shared enough. It works… but people have to hear it from the right teacher. That’s why there can never be too many of us.

I am so glad you broke through the ice and kept on going. You didn’t listen to that nasty little voice of thought.

Lovely to see you.

Thanks for commenting.

Marty June 16, 2011 at 12:10 am

I’m glad I read you post today. I certainly recognize what you have described in myself. There is a resistance in me that I’m doing my best to overcome. This is based on an experience about 10 years ago when I threw myself into some network marketing. It was a bit like jumping out of the plane without a parachute. There was quite a bump and injury at the end.
The desire is still in me. I’m much wiser now and I will keep my day job until I see proper, sustainable results. I’m gradually working on some products and they are not yet ready for release. I’m working on them a little and often.

Jayne Kopp June 16, 2011 at 11:10 am

Marty, I am glad you are coming back to have another look. I understand being ‘put off’ can really make you stand off-ish.

Well, Marty as you can see, the world isn’t slowing down any. There is lots of room at the top. (not saying I’m at the TOP) yet, but I can see it when I look up.

It’s a wise move to keep your day job and work up, but from experience, with consistency, you will get to where you want to be.

Thanks for your comment Marty.

Talk soon

Justin | Mazzastick June 15, 2011 at 7:58 pm

The web is expanding and so are online businesses. After I started my blog and got the hang of it I began telling others about my experience.

I even offered to help them set-up wordpress and design their blog for them but they were doubtful. Yet many of these same people whine about their jobs and finances as they waste another day chatting on Facebook.

Jayne Kopp June 15, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Justin, I know EXACTLY what you mean. I have done the very same thing. There really is only so much you can do isn’t there. Good Grief… apart from build their businesses for them.

I could go off on a different tangent here… ha ha… but I will spare you from it.

I’m at the point where I think there are only a certain number of true entrepreneurs amongst us. Some people just search and search for any old excuse.

I don’t get it really. Sometimes it drives me a little ‘dotty’…. I am sure you’ve been there too.

((sign))