Over Thinking Whether to Start an Online Business?

by Jayne Kopp on July 12, 2011

Starting an Online Business or Over Thinking

Overthinking...

Are you over thinking whether to start an online business?

I believe people spend too much time over thinking starting an online business instead of just getting to it and making it happen.

To be honest it drives me a little buggy. I know people who have spent years literally “thinking” about it, yet have never made one move in the right direction. :-|

Then, to make things worse, at the end of it all, they say it’s too hard. (LOL). (Picture eyes rolling back in head)

Over Thinking How To Start An Online Business ONLYFeels Like Work.

You see….
…First of all you do research in order to convince yourself you could possibly consider it…

…Then you find information that tells you all the ‘must do’s’ and ‘must have tools’ (There are thousands of articles on this sort of stuff by the way)…that you ‘really should’ have first…

…Then you feel that in order to get started… you must/should first read up on “this thing” and “that thing”….

…Then you test run a couple of ‘things’… (you know the ones you ‘must’ learn about) …

…but then in the process you find wisdom from another source that says before you get too far into the “thing” you just started, you should first of all learn this…other thing

-BUT… before learning this other thing…you must get ‘this new must have tool’… BUT… you must get it quickly… because there are only a few left….

THEN… you find sites like mine… where I admit it DOES take work…to make ANYthing succeed…

…BUT then you “misinterpret” what I say and take this to mean ‘gruelling’ work … but by now you’re worn out and just don’t know if you even have the energy to work anymore than you have been…

…..even though all you’ve really been doing is over thinking and not working at all. :-)

Phew… am I making sense??

I really think that often we get so caught up in over thinking that effectively we talk ourselves out of taking the steps to get going.

Starting An Online Business Is Not So Hard That You Can’t Do It!

…In fact I am almost convinced that succeeding is not hard either.

I truly believe that anyone who just puts in focused effort and consistency to learn to mind their own business and get cracking can make this happen.

If you are one of the people I have mentioned who has researched starting an online business to death, and have read up on ‘whether it’s a good time’ and worried about what others think, worried about too much competition and perhaps got your knickers in a twist so badly that your self image is holding you backyou really do need to nip it in the bud. (NOW!).

Being open minded is critical for success in all areas of life. If you choose to keep your blinders on, it will result in all kinds of missed opportunities.

Taking the plunge into entrepreneurship is no different. If you choose to only ‘dream’ instead of take action you are only making excuses and frankly this never ending procrastination will hold you back and you’ll never know what could have been!

Getting ahead in life all boils down to YOU. If others can succeed so can you. Don’t be one of the millions of people who look back on life and wished they ‘woulda-shoulda-coulda’ at least tried to make improvements… but didn’t.

If you really want to be content with life, and have a true desire to get ahead… right now is the best time to start a business.

We all fear failure from time to time, but starting an online business is something that is completely harmless and can give you a life of freedom that you will never experience if you don’t have more faith in your own abilities.

You are special. Time flies so don’t waste your time on earth and look back regretting things and wondering what you might have done if you could live your life over.

Start A Business Now…It’s Too Late When You’ve Missed The Boat.

We all have something to offer and we all have the right to make a go of it. Best of all, we all CAN succeed if we are willing to put one foot in front of the other and stop over thinking starting an online business… and calling it due diligence.

If you want to get the ball rolling and make some life changes, let me help you. Pick up the phone or contact me through this site and get the show on the road before any more time passes.

Next year at this time you might well be amazed at the many opportunities in life that are at your fingertips by just starting an online business and getting involved in wonderful communities as I have done.

Decide to day to reach for the stars and start living in the moment instead of missing out completely.

End of rant! Thanks for stopping by.

Photo credit

SEO Company Los Angeles August 4, 2011 at 2:34 pm

LOVE the picture! I totally have the tendency to over-think things all the time and that’s about what my face looks like when I do ;)

Natasha

Timo Kiander July 31, 2011 at 11:18 pm

This is a great reminder for all of us! Starting your own online business is basically being in control – taking the responsibility.

It is one step closer to reach your dreams.

Timo

Jayne Kopp August 1, 2011 at 11:24 pm

HI Timo, yes it is … it’s all about taking the bull by the horns. If you really want to DO something… then you must DO it! Nike is right! “just do it” :-)

lovely to see you.

Ian Belanger | Network Marketing Success July 21, 2011 at 8:32 am

“There is no better time then right now.” Words I like to live by. Procrastination is the biggest entrepreneur killer out there and researching everything and anything out there will ultimately lead to nothing.

You need to take action!! Now, not tomorrow!

That has been one of my biggest struggles in my online business. I thought that I needed to know everything under the sun about marketing online, before I could even begin to start.

Boy was I wrong. I struggled for months with this. I have finally realized that it isn’t how much you know about internet marketing, but how much you do.

Of course you will need to learn a little to get started, but trying to do too much learning can kill your business. Find something that works for you, master it, automate it and move on to the next thing.

Do this and success will find it’s way to you.

Thanks for sharing Jayne and have a great day!

Jayne Kopp July 29, 2011 at 7:22 am

HI Ian, sorry I took so long to respond.

I love what you said “it isn’t how much you now about internet marketing, but how much you do”… so true!!

Thanks Ian.

Martin July 20, 2011 at 7:24 am

It’s true Jayne,
Sometimes we spend more time spinning our wheels, than getting anything done.
Sadly, there are countless people who want to get started with their own business, but never do, due to this very scenario.

I think you hit the nail on the head.
Good job,
Martin

Jayne Kopp July 29, 2011 at 7:21 am

Thanks Martin, for stopping by. I agree with you and that is exactly my point.

Not sure if this post will hit home with the majority… but even if it motivates one person… I’m good with that!
Thanks for coming over!

Rachael Slorach July 18, 2011 at 10:39 pm

A very entertaining post Jayne, and no doubt true. I, myself spend a few months ‘preparing’ to launch my blogging site to complement an existing business. In the end, even though I still felt like a complete novice I just had to jump! Learn to swim as you go!

Jayne Kopp July 29, 2011 at 7:20 am

Rachael, sorry for taking so long to respond to you. You are so right, you really do have to jump in and get the ball rolling. A little prep is fine, but not for an endless period of time like many.

Lovely to see you

Jeanine Byers Hoag July 18, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Boy, can I relate to over-thinking and doing lots and lots of research. But then, I usually go ahead and do whatever it was I was considering.

I believe in preparation, but you’re right. It’s not so difficult that you shouldn’t do it at all.

Jayne Kopp July 29, 2011 at 7:19 am

Hi Jeanine, as you can tell I am totally behind in following up on my comments. Sorry. :-|

You are right though, nothing is so difficult that it should be left on the back burner … for ever!

see you soon

Emmanuel Olonade July 18, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Thanks Jayne.
This post reminds me of my favourite quote, “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago, the next best time is now”.

I have been guilty of over-planning many times. Thanks for warning me against doing it again.

Jayne Kopp July 29, 2011 at 7:18 am

HI Emmanuel, sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I am a bit behind in my comment follow up.

I love that saying. It is so true.

I think we are all guilty of over planing and suffering from analysis paralysis, but a reminder now and then never hurts.

Lovely to see you

Dr. Bob Clarke July 17, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Hi Jayne… I love your rants! This one is top notch, because it is so true.

Someone who is unsure of making a commitment or major move in their life has a tendency to delay, and like you said they hide behind the guise of “doing due diligence” or “its just not the right time.”

There is never the right time, and after your initial research that’s pretty much all you need. It’s more like paralysis by analysis at this point.

Not sure if your rant will convince people to MOVE, do something! But it is a gallant effort and worth a try.

Great post, Jayne… I really enjoyed reading it.

Jayne Kopp July 17, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Thanks Dr.Bob, I appreciate you coming by to comment.

I knew you would ‘get it’… look at you and Rosemary! You could make excuses till the cows came home… yet you didn’t. (and don’t). You just get on with it… and just look at your results.

I am not sure either to be honest if my little tangent will get people off their duffs. I guess it has to to boil down to whether they ‘truly’ want change badly enough.

If they don’t.. then no amount of ranting will help!

Talk soon

Dev July 17, 2011 at 3:05 am

Amazing post, Jayne.

Agree, starting an business isn’t a hard thing, it just takes a lot of efforts and time and most people are too lazy to come out of the comfort zone.

btw. Just submitted the post to Blokube.

Enjoy your rest of the weekend, Jayne.

~Dev

Jayne Kopp July 17, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Hi Dev, thanks for stopping to leave a comment.

I agree that most people sadly are too lazy to break free of their easy, cozy little comfort zone.

Thanks for submitting to Blokube. I tried to submit the other day with this post and it didn’t seem to take. Could it be possible you were making some alterations at the time? I noticed the ‘format’ looked a little different.

No matter how hard I tried to ‘preview and submit’ it just didnt stick! With my ‘wifi’ being unstable while at the resort… I had to give up. Forgot to come back and re try. Thanks for doing that for me.

Dev July 21, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Yeah, I’ve been updating the design of Blokube that day.

Anyways, it is working fine now. May be, you should try again now and see if it is working for you.

Have a great day, Jayne and keep up the good work.

~Dev

marquita herald July 15, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Great article Jayne. Funny thing is, for all the thinking and poking around trying to decide what business to start and how to start a business … very few people put much thought into WHY they want to start a business. Making a few extra bucks may be the most common reason, but when the reality hits home about how much work it takes to grow a business, it’s far easier to give up if there’s no emotional attachement.

Jayne Kopp July 17, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Hi Marty, yes it is definitely easier to give up if there is no emotional attachment.

I think a person has to ‘want’ it badly enough… if they do, they will find a way to get cracking.

Thanks for your contribution to this post Marty.

Adrienne July 15, 2011 at 9:55 am

My ex-finance was like that. He thought so much he always made the wrong decisions. Use to drive me nuts.

I also love this topic, great one. I’ve been thinking about this same thing for the past few weeks. Anything in life that you really want will be hard work. But don’t you think it’s worth it? I was always one of those people to stay inside my comfort zone where it was really nice. But the older I got, the more I realized just how unhappy I was having to live my life inside that box. I wanted a better life for me and I just knew if some of these other people could do it, I sure could.

It’s never too late and it’s as hard as you make it. And that my friends is the truth.

Thanks Jayne. Anyone ready to take the plunge should definitely call you. They couldn’t ask for a better support system and leader.

Adrienne

Jayne Kopp July 17, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Hi Adrienne, once again, I knew you would be on board with this.

Is it not the most peculiar thing when people overthink so much that they end up making the wrong moves. I really think sometimes we have to go with our feelings and let them lead the way instead of trying to modify the path.

There is a lot to be said for just ‘doing’ instead of allowing all the negative possibilities to overtake the positive ones!

Thanks for sharing your decisions. It is never, ever too late.

See you soon

Catarina July 15, 2011 at 9:04 am

Good article Jayne. You know most people over think everything and hence end up doing nothing.

What you write about applies to all areas of life. Instead of using their creativity for something constructive they use it to build up all kinds of scenarios that will never happen.

Jayne Kopp July 17, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Hi Catarina, you are correct. People should just start putting their creativity to work instead of worrying about what ‘could’ or ‘may not’ happen. Its just a matter of getting our bottoms in gear. It’s amazing what ‘can’ happen!

Jane | Blogging Tips July 15, 2011 at 8:44 am

LOL love the pic ha ha. Most people think too much for two major reasons.

1. They are not confident about making money or achieving success with their business. They always ask “what if?” and then end up just thinking.

2. The other reason is they are simply lazy and don’t want to come out of the comfort zone to learn, try, put in effort and so on.

When one just stops thinking as starts doing, that’s when real magic happens.

Jayne Kopp July 17, 2011 at 10:04 pm

HI Jane, you could not have said it better. “when one just stops thinking and starts doing, that’s when the real magic happens’

How true.

I agree in all points you shared.

Lovely to see you Jane.

Talk soon

Rowena Bolo July 15, 2011 at 12:31 am

I’m back, and yes I’ve missed your rants, *just kidding. Really, I missed reading your insights and inspiring (or something with a call-to-action like this one!) posts …Well, I’ve been applying for jobs, and I’ll be doing my online (networking) business part-time. I totally agree with everything you said here, and I would even add that even (especially, in fact) employed persons can definitely start an online business. Dr Bob and Rosemary are the best people to discuss about being part-time online entrepreneurs.

Starting anything is always tough. But you are absolutely right, instead of waiting for that “someday” and hoping that a breakthrough will magically happen, anyone can take action now! I am with you on this call-to-action, Jayne. Getting ready to get ready to get ready, is never-ending. Time can promote or expose us! (from the Slight Edge).

Thanks for this wonderful post, Jayne ;-)

- Rowena

Jayne Kopp July 17, 2011 at 10:03 pm

HI Rowena, how lovely to see your smiling face again. I have missed you actually.

I see you have been keeping busy!!

As you say, waiting for someday might never come to fruition. As my coach says, there is never a perfect time to get started. He also says, you don’t have to get it right you just have to get it going. I truly believe half the battle is won then!

lovely to have you back. Talk soon

Sage July 13, 2011 at 8:40 am

Wow Jayne – It’s like you’re talking directly to me! I’m an expert procrastinator! :) Time to get to work – Thanks for the kick!

Jayne Kopp July 17, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Hi Sage, how lovely to meet you. Thanks so much for stopping by.

What are you ‘thinking’ about working on?

You know, getting started is half the battle. After that things just seem to fall into place.

Half the battle is won by simply ‘showing up’… :-)

Let me know if I can help or keep giving you a push!

Elmar Sandyck July 13, 2011 at 6:08 am

Hi Jayne!

I like it when you rant! :) Because even if you do, you are always making sense!:) Because if there’s one thing that we shouldn’t waste time on in life is – missing out on life itself by doing nothing.

Jayne Kopp July 13, 2011 at 7:37 am

HI Elmar. Thanks for your encouragement to rant! ha ha. Sometimes you just gotta say it.

I have been guilty of missing out once or twice myself so it’s something I am very aware of.

I find SO many people call me though and tell me all the time they’ve wasted and still are no further ahead and it really gets to me after a while.

Sometimes hearing the words stick better than anything else… hence my tangents!!

I am glad it makes sense! :-)

See you soon

Oliver Tausend July 13, 2011 at 12:45 am

awesome post, thanks for sharing your insights.

Over thinking is definitely a problem, especially for greens. They need it to be perfect and want it to be perfect. Sooner or later all greens end up with the realization that there’s no such thing as perfection. Better a lousy start than no start.

On the other there are certain things to consider, it’s called due diligence as Jym notes as well. But it doesn’t have to take much time because it’s basically about 5 rules to take into account…

Jayne Kopp July 13, 2011 at 7:35 am

Hi Oliver, Thanks for your comments.

Yes, we greens definitely can get caught up in over analyzing things for sure. I do find that many people though get held back regardless of colour. maybe it’s their green undertones!!

I think we have to be smart and swift in order to get ahead, otherwise we do ‘nowt’ …. and get the same in return!

Thanks for stopping by and also for ‘sharing’ as you did this morning. I appreciate it very much.

Jym July 12, 2011 at 7:21 pm

100% with you on this one Jayne!

Of course there’s due diligence before jumping in blind to something like starting or joining a business, but beyond that there are fields upon fields of procrastination and excuses.

Never ending research, preparation and study just delays the commitment and responsibility. Feel the fear and do it anyway. The best way to learn is on the job….

Love the Gorilla pick btw! :)

Jayne Kopp July 13, 2011 at 7:32 am

HI Jym, thanks so much for the comment.

Yes, it’s the never ending research that hinders our progress for sure.

As you say, due diligence is necessary, but not to the extent that it stifles us.

Mr. Gorilla tickled me too!

Talk soon.

PS: I like your new Gravatar!