Is Self Doubt Dooping your Dreams?

by Jayne Kopp on July 28, 2011

Self Doubt, low self confidence

self doubt

Self Doubt and Low Self Confidence are in my opinion the main reasons most people stay stuck in a rut and never get ahead in life.

To be honest it really saddens me, and sometimes even frustrates me, which in part is why I am writing this post.

You see, it just seems that lately, I’ve spent more time on the phone with coaching clients as well as have been contacted by a few others who “want” to step out and make changes and start a business… yet simply won’t or can’t get past their own self doubt issues and limiting beliefs.

I have found sometimes that no matter how hard I try, or how many suggestions I offer, there’s always a ‘ya – but’ answer.

Usually these ‘ya buts’ are followed by “I really struggle when it comes to technical aspects” or “I’ve never done anything like internet marketing before” or “I’ve never been self employed before” or “I really don’t have a clue what I am doing”…. And on and on the excuses go.

I get tired of trying to explain the fact that we’ve all been there… starting at ground zero without a clue … but with perseverance we always eventually manage to get the wheel turning.

I always try to explain that most often things ‘seem’ more difficult than they are… or the fact that ‘we’ deem things more difficult than they are!

Sadly, most of the time my encouragement this falls on deaf ears or it takes one heck of a lot of convincing before the penny starts to drop.

The truth of the matter is however, that it is normal to doubt yourself occasionally, or feel a little low in the self confidence department when faced with new tasks, but still I cannot get my head around some people who won’t even try!!!

Heck, I face hiccups almost daily.

What I find though without fail is that if I simply focus on one thing at a time… (the task at hand), before too long, the challenge dissipates and I’m off the races. I almost always look back and think… ‘Wow… that wasn’t so bad after all’…. And the next time I’m faced with the same sort of thing, it becomes so much easier.

I also find that many people try to ‘over learn’ and can’t help flitting around the web comparing themselves to others. In other words they can’t help being nosey and analyzing the achievements of others and trying to absorb a multitude of suggestions and excessive “advice”. After a while they are no further ahead and have become victims of analysis paralysis and feel less adequate and more confused!

Now to be blatantly transparent and brutally honest (whether we all want to admit this or not) we’ve all been there. I believe we all suffer from low self confidence or self doubt from time to time, regardless of ‘what’ the issue is at hand.

I really don’t think that anybody can get over feeling a little less than confident entirely… but it’s how we handle it and how we control that pesky mind chatter that solidifies our limiting beliefs

I’m not necessarily talking about starting a business either. Sometimes self doubt can creep in when doing some of the simplest of tasks.

Heck I have a friend who won’t even paint her own living room because she truly believes she would make a mess and the result would be dreadful… and despite my attempts to encourage her and empower her to at least try… or start on one wall… she will have no part of it and refuses to believe that the house won’t implode on her paintbrush! :-)

Because I’ve spent a lot of time over the last while thinking about this topic, I have put together a short list of suggestions to see if I might help you to stop doubting yourself and become open minded so and stop missing out on life the way you likely are if you’re caught in this trap.

Suggestions for squashing self doubt:

Try to determine what might have happened in your past to shake you off your foundations.
Sometimes a thoughtless comment from a peer, spouse or teacher from your earlier days may have had a negative affect on your mindset.

When I think of my own self doubt and low confidence issues, a couple of thoughts come to mind.

This might sound a little daft, but one negative experience… and as silly as it may sound, was when one of my elementary school teachers yelled at me in front of the class for simply dropping a book. (Silly cow). Even though I was only 6 at the time, I have never forgotten how I felt. If I were to see her today, I would likely poke her in the eye with a sharp stick… but I digress… :-)

I also allowed a comment from my ex spouse to knock me down a peg or two a few years ago when he told me that I had always ridden on his shirt tails when building our brick and mortar business.

Thankfully I had the sense analyze the stupidity in both of these comments and recognize I am far more powerful than to let a few mean words keep me curled in a fetal position and prevent me from moving forward.

What’s more is I used these knocks to my advantage and thought ‘to heck with you… (Well… I won’t tell you the ‘real adjectives ;-) )… but I thought I’ll show you…”… and I have! :-) Whether ‘they’ know it or not!! ;-)

My next suggestion is to pump your own ego!

Yes really!! Pelt a few roses at yourself and pat yourself on the back for all you have accomplished!

Make a list of all the things you have done in your life… including some “first” that you accomplished well. (And there are many!)

These could be simple things like cooking a great dinner or trying a new recipe for the first time.

It might have been decorating a room, or knitting a scarf.

Heavens it could be giving birth and raising great kids! (Goodness knows there is no manual for this!!)

Passing your drivers test is another; let’s face it, we all get behind the wheel for the first time at some point and after a while driving becomes second nature!

What I’m trying to suggest is that you consider the fact that you HAVE achieved many great things in your life and had to face a “first” for all of them. So why would starting your own business, blog or marketing endeavour be any different?

Avoid Negative People

Avoiding negative people is huge. As my friend Janet Callaway shared in one of her posts last week, don’t share your goals with others.

I know this seems contrary to popular belief, but to be honest I have rarely shared any of my goals with my friends of family.

It just seems that if people don’t understand what it is you are trying to achieve … or can’t see the logic or value in your endeavour, those who know tend you feel comfortable expressing their thoughts honestly; what’s worse, in most cases they tend to be over analytical and often without realizing it will say the wrong things which might cause you to doubt yourself even more.

In other words, keep your goals to yourself, particularly where family and friends are concerned! ;-) Instead, work towards your goals and surprise them at the end!!

Make a list of pro’s and cons to making changes, trying something new or in this case, starting a business.

Take some time to think things through and consider the positives and negatives associated with your goals.

I.e.: “By starting a business I will have the opportunity to learn and move ahead more than simply thinking about it or doing nothing at all“.

Ask “Would starting a business hurt anyone? Or… would I simply open the doors of opportunity?”

- Use affirmations such as “I have just as much chance of reaching my goals as anybody else”.

- If I don’t try, I will never know… at least if I try I have a chance of creating positive life changes.

Or…”I am capable of learning new things….I might just have to set aside some time to work at it.”

- Or even remind yourself that you are special, capable and deserving of success!

- Ask yourself “How hard can it be?” Heavens, I know some people who are just knocking the ball out of the park… and some of these friends are surely not the brightest bulbs in the box either! (Did I say that with my outside voice?) :-)

The bottom line is, if you really feel a strong desire, ask yourself if you are truly willing to do whatever it takes… this includes taking a deep breath and ignoring your insecurities.

Hook up with a coach.

OK… I’ve already shared that even as a coach… my encouragement often falls on deaf ears…

In fairness however I will admit that occasionally, a few clients will come back to me later and say “you know, I was thinking about what you said and realized “x”

What I’m suggesting is that often soliciting the help from someone unrelated will in fact have a more positive impact based on the fact that hearing something from someone at more of an arms length sticks better than listening to your own thoughts or close counterpart.

Also, it’s worth mentioning that working with someone who actually understands your goals and has experience and knowledge in the industry can see your potential and this will help tremendously to keep your spirits high by merely being on the same page!.

The thing is overcoming self doubt is one of the main aspects self growth and personal development … and in my opinion is an on going project… for life!

To be honest because I have experienced such tremendous change in my own thoughts, feelings, self esteem and attitude since becoming entrenched in my business, I know it’s possible to overcome these pangs of negativity and limiting beliefs if you are just willing to recognize your own personal power and give yourself some credit.

Sometimes we’re up and sometimes we are down but it truly is how we control our “mindset” that will make all the difference in the world.

By forcing yourself to start taking baby steps in the direction of your dreams and goals you will soon find that self doubt and low self confidence will lift and continue to do so as you progress.

If you really want to succeed in life and truly start a business as a way to make positive life changes, it’s time to kick your limiting beliefs to the curb, block out the fear of failure and focus on your personal power.

Life is far too short to miss out on something that could turn out to be the most rewarding experience, and I can guarantee that at the end of it you will not look back and wish you had spent more time doubting yourself and allowing your brain to block your success rather than taking action to create the lifestyle you deserve.

What do you think? Has self doubt prevented you from moving in the direction of your dreams? What happened? Did you look back with regret? Did you ignore it and plough ahead instead?

I’d love for you to leave me your comments and for you to share experiences and / or suggestions that might compliment this post.

If I can be of any assistance, feel free to contact me at any time.

Dan | Confidence Coach August 16, 2011 at 2:25 am

Great ideas for moving you out of your self-doubt! When I get faced with clients who can see where they want to be, but refuse to go there, I usually resort to the threat of removing my help. It doesn’t always work, but for most people, the fear of loss motivates them to move through some of their pain.

Unfortunately it’s not a permanent solution, they have to find their own way forward at some point which for a lot of people is a deal breaker for their personal development.

For those who still refuse, I know I can’t help them – even though I’d love to!! The bottom line is that they’re taking up time that you could be spending with someone else who is ready to change.

Jayne Kopp August 23, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Hey Dan, Thanks so much for coming by to leave a comment.

I apologize, but I am quite behind on responding to comments as I have taken some extra time off to strictly focus on the kiddos while they are enjoying their summer holidays. I figured, life is too short not to…

I can understand how using the psychology to scare your clients might get them to give their heads a shake, but I also understand this will not work for everyone.

I fully agree I cannot waste too much time with those who simply won’t step out and give things their best shot. After all, as coaches we cannot ‘do it for them’ can we?

Even though I definitely have lines I don’t cross and I will completely move on in an active way, the mindset of some really is enough to make me froth!!

Lovely to see you here. I will be back in full swing again after Sept 4th (thereabouts).

Best regards

broccoli soup August 4, 2011 at 12:37 pm

I have did a lot of work to know the reasons abut the incomplete personality or broken personality.It all is because of fears at early stage.It is very difficult to get rid of these doubts but not impossible.I have found one solution ” Think always positive”.

Jayne Kopp August 9, 2011 at 8:36 am

Hi there, we all have fears from time to time. Practicing thinking positive definitely helps.

SEO Company Los Angeles August 3, 2011 at 12:43 pm

While I do not have too many problems with self doubt anymore, I used to, and some of these tips are what I used to feel better about myself. I do still have “low” days, though, so I am definitely going to keep this post in mind!

Natasha

Jayne Kopp August 9, 2011 at 8:37 am

Natasha, ‘low’ days can definitely be an ongoing issue for all humans!

It’s all about practice… unfortunately :-) so many things can affect our feelings and moods. Sometimes issues such as ‘not enough sleep’ can send me for a loop from time to time.

I think on going mindset training is the only answer!

Steve Nicholas August 1, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Great post, Jayne! When I think about poison personalities and negative people who only want to try to pull you down, the interesting thing that I’ve noticed is that, if you refuse to let them get you down, some will double down, and some will look for easier targets. No matter what, you don’t want to be like those who, when faced with something that is 99% effective with relatively low risk and a very high reward, will still be so paralyzed by that 1% that they can’t even see the possibility of the other 99%.

Jayne Kopp August 1, 2011 at 11:48 pm

Hi Steve, I could not agree more with all of your points.

Its definitely best to just ignore the negative ones… and they will soon tire.

Also, so many can’t see the forest for the trees. The trees been the 1%… the rest of the forest is just beyond.

Thanks for stopping by.

Emmanuel Olonade July 30, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Thanks Jayne,

For most of us it’s that force of inertia that keeps us stuck to a particular position; we feel we’re not enough of anything. And the earlier we faced those things the better for us.

My favourite CHINESE proverb says,
“The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago, the next best time is Now”

Let’s stop whining and get something done.

Thanks again Jayne.

Jayne Kopp August 1, 2011 at 11:46 pm

HI Emmanuel, I love that proverb too. Was it you who shared it not long ago too.

It is so true.

We are the ones who keep ourselves stuck… where if we just put one foot in front of the other we can get there much easier than if we spend our time just thinking and whining.

Thanks for your comment.

Natalie July 30, 2011 at 1:28 pm

great post – and there can’t be enough articles like this, because as you say, we’ve all experienced self-doubt and low self-esteem at some point in our lives. I’m a fan of using NLP. And one thing I suggest to people is that they write out a very detailed description of their worst-case scenario, make it as ugly as possible, acknowledging all of their fears and insecurities. Then take a good look at it, laugh at the absurdity of it, realizing the chances are slim you will ever have that happen. And then write out all the things you could do if it did happen: how would you deal? Who could you ask for help? What internal, and external resources could you draw on?
The point, of course, is to see plainly that no matter what happens, you’ll be OK. So go for it! Do the things that scare you :)

Jayne Kopp August 1, 2011 at 11:45 pm

HI Natalie, you know, I love NLP too… and the idea of writing out worst case scenarios is a great idea.

One of my ex mentors… well, he’s still around… I’m just not in as close touch anymore… did exactly as you said. He wanted to be a stand up comic years ago… and was knocked off his perch when he saw another guy hitting it big time at a show.

He lost all his self esteem… then one day he wrote out his feelings and laughed at his daftness.

He is now very successful, but it took that turning point to realize the silliness of his thoughts.

As the Sunscreen essay says… “do one thing that scares you every day”… how true.

Thanks for your comment.

Catarina July 30, 2011 at 1:24 pm

The worst aspect of self doubt and people feeling inferior is when they turn to violence. By beating and harming other people, or worse, they feel powerful and show that they are important. It’s not just an idea I have, research on why people turn violent and harm other people have concluded that.

Jayne Kopp August 1, 2011 at 11:41 pm

Hi Catarina… well I haven’t gone that far… yet! LOL.

Sorry… I am not making light of the seriousness of your comment, coming from your vantage point, I can imagine in your line of work you see this first hand and it’s awful.

The lengths that some go to try to ‘prove’ their validity is truly shocking, especially when they should be looking at themselves first and foremost.

Thanks for stopping by.

Melody | Deliberate Receiving July 30, 2011 at 4:20 am

This is a fantastic post. You’re so right – we all suffer from self-doubt. I still hit wall after wall EVERY STINKIN’ TIME I try something new (the wall often being self-doubt). I used to break through those walls head first (brute force action and pure willpower), which was quite a bloody experience, but heck, suffering was the road to growth, right? ;) Yeah… Now, I take the time to dissolve each wall (I remove resistance before taking action). That’s much gentler. We think that if we become “enlightened” enough, we’ll never see another wall, but that’s not the goal at all. The goal is to become so good at dissolving them that it becomes fun. I can’t say that I’m quite there yet, although it’s gotten a lot easier…

I just dissolved a rather big wall last night and this post was perfect for me today. It was like a nice, big dollop of validation. Thank you for your insight, Jayne.

Hugs,

Melody

Jayne Kopp August 1, 2011 at 11:39 pm

Hi Melody.. I am so glad this came at the right time for you. I see you have written a crazy similar post that I will have to go and read as soon as I finish up here! What a coincidence.

You made me laugh at the ‘bloody experience’ LOL. I know those experiences well.

I still need work as you say you do… but it does become much easier the more walls we hit… or dissolve!

Thanks for stopping by.

See you soon!

Jeanine Byers Hoag @DressingMyTruth July 29, 2011 at 11:43 pm

Wow, this is a great article! You know, you have the makings of a great self-help book with these posts.

I agreed with so much of what you said about how easy it is to be affected by other’s comments, to let self-doubt get in your way. And how important it is to keep your goals to yourself to protect yourself from potential negative feedback. Great advice about how to change your thinking!

Jayne Kopp August 1, 2011 at 11:36 pm

Hi Jeanine, thanks for stopping by. I am considering taking parts of some posts and putting it into a book. WOW… just another thing on the old list! :-)

I really am a biggie on not sharing my goals. This way I avoid any negativity … because people who don’t understand will almost always come back with a ‘dooper’… and who needs it?

Besides, it’s fun to ‘surprise’ them at the end!

Thanks for your kind words. See you soon.

Chrysta Bairre July 29, 2011 at 11:41 am

Great article! Self doubt and comparing ourselves to others are the voice of my fears. Fears that I will fail, fears that I am not good enough to do what I’m setting out to do, etc.

Though I consider myself a confident, happy individual, I wasn’t always and sometimes self doubt and comparison creep into my thoughts.

It’s much easier to dispel these thoughts in my life now, with a regular routine of self care and positive thinking, but I’d be lying if I said it never gets me down.

In fact I’ve recently been faced with doubts and comparisons and have written two related articles in the past month. One on confidence and one on acceptance, both of which are related to my own fears manifesting in my life.

Jayne Kopp July 29, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Hey Chrysta, how awesome to meet you. Thanks so much for adding to this conversation. I still think another couple of blog posts have been inspired because of it and some of the comments I have received so far.

I understand how important a regular routing of ‘self care’ and positive thinking makes the world of difference to keep us strong. Good on you for recognizing it.

I am looking forward to heading over to read your blog … likely a bit later as my children are beckoning me to play!! :-)

I am thrilled you came over and I got to meet you. I can’t wait to check you out and get to know you better.

Adrienne July 29, 2011 at 10:45 am

I was one of those huge self doubt people in the beginning too. What makes me different is that I still kept moving forward but girl, I hit so many walls it’s not even funny. I questioned myself over and over again but I was also bound and determined to make a better life for myself.

I love what you are sharing here and I recently posted something very similar to this. I’ve been going through a program and it all started with helping you learn more about yourself and why you have these limiting beliefs. You conjure up things you had no idea were the culprits for holding you back. But how freeing it is when you finally get a handle on it.

I love what you’ve shared here and the steps you can also take to moving past these issues. Thank you for sharing this Jayne, it’s a very important lesson we all need to learn.

Adrienne

Jayne Kopp July 29, 2011 at 11:50 am

HI Adrienne, you know this morning I got up and answered some comments from last week and drafted my next post and I thought “oh I can’t wait to get over to yours and catch up” I cant wait to read the ‘real Adrienne Smith” I noticed that on the ComLuv today. I will read your post similar to this too. I’ll snoop around and find it I am sure.

You know, self doubt is a horrible thing and it really knocks you off doesn’t it. It hurts. The hitting walls hurts because at that point you start to get so convinced that ‘it just isn’t meant to be’ that you grip onto that thought and go from bad to worse.

The thing that drives me dotty though Adrienne is … urrggh… I have this lady who I think is a doll, but Garschk… she won’t even TRY. Whats worse is she looks around for a ‘way out’ and picks up bologna from other sites… and gets herself so confused she is motionless. Oh Adrienne, I could just….. (oh never mind)

At lease you kept moving and now look!!

We all have lows at times… but wouldn’t you agree that it is curable?

Oh you know, there still room to talk about this topic. Maybe next week.

See you soon over at your Adrienne. it might be a bit later because I’m off the play with the kids!!

thanks for stopping

Lou Barba@informationhighwaycardandgiftshop.com July 29, 2011 at 8:32 am

One big thing to help you with self doubt is to do what it takes to convince yourself that you can succeed in your niche. You really need to know that there are customers out there, they are buying goods and services, so it is only a matter of you doing what it takes to get into the right time and the right place with the right technique. That’s no more complicated than fishing. It might take several casts into different places with different baits and techniques, but you can catch fish somehow. You know there are fish in that deep blue sea. If you use the excuse, “I don’t know anything about fishing”, then I can say “I’ll teach you how to fish”. If you don’t have confidence after that, I think it’s not a lack of confidence, it’s a lack of ambition, otherwise known as laziness.

Lou

Jayne Kopp July 29, 2011 at 12:26 pm

HI Lou, yes perhaps in some cases it is lack of ambition and perhaps laziness or excuses to not have to try.

I still feel people should just DO instead of FRET… drives me nuts but there is only so much we can do to help them so people do have to step up eventually…. or do nothing!

David Leonhardt July 29, 2011 at 4:47 am

Ya, but….

(Sorry, but somebody had to say it.) :-)

Rachael Slorach July 28, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Oh Jayne, where do I start, this post had so many gems in it! And very well-times for me today – it was just what I needed to hear.
As you know, I am a newby to blogging and have been trying to overcome my overwhelm, my self doubt, my fear of non-perfection, my frustration due to time-restraints and my non-understanding friends and family.
I really like how you have suggested to keep your goals to ourselves and I have realised I have been doing this myself. I was sick of the fake support – even my husband keeps racking on about when I return to work (I’m on maternity leave) and has not even bothered to look at my blog site – makes me angry I have to say.
But anyways.. I’m sounding a bit negative hey? It would be nice to be supported but in the end, this is what drives me the most – to prove everyone wrong and to prove to myself that I have value to give and can be a success.
Having a bad day thinking about how much I still have to do, but you made me realise how much I have achieved and learnt already on my journey so ALL IS GOOD!
Thanks,

Rachael Slorach July 28, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Just re-read this and boy! It does sound like I’m having a bad day! Sorry about that everyone, guess I needed to vent : )

Jayne Kopp July 29, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Hi Rachael, I wish you were closer I would give you a big fat hug! No you are not negative… you are simply stating the facts. (and that’s OK… in fact it’s just great!)

Oh boy do I understand you… my significant other really didn’t ‘get it either… at first. LOL… and believe me we have had our differences. I have never told him where I wanted to ‘be’ with this… now I don’t have to… but at first he was always going on about being ‘at that again’…. meaning me on my computer.

People just don’t realize the possibilities and in my opinion, we are too busy and should not have to explain.

It pulls you down though and when you are feeling the stresses of the ‘firsts’ and have not muddled through some of them yet, it can be very lonely.

Keep it up girl though because 90% of success is just showing up! You did that… remember??

lotsa love

Rachael Slorach August 8, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Thanks Jayne! Having a better week just by deciding and accepting that I have less time to put into the business than I thought. This has helped with feeling so frustrated.
My two year old is no longer having afternoon naps so really getting nothing done!

marquita herald July 28, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Great tips … I was one of those “bullied” kids in school, it was unrelenting and it went on for years – the reason they targeted me was an alcholic parent – so I had it coming and going and spent a LOT of time hold up in my room or working hard at blending in with the woodwork in public. I know where the feelings of insecurity come from, and 95% of the time I can just move through it – but it’s always there.

Jayne Kopp July 29, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Hi Marquita – Aww.. are kids not horrible sometimes? It’s such a shame and I can totally understand. I was lucky and never got picked on too much… although a couple of times it happened, I still remember by whom!

I am glad you know the source and obviously now I will bet if you could turn back time, you’d nip it.

I do know though what you mean when you say it’s always there.

That’s what I meant when I said that self growth is a lifetime project.

Lots of hugs and luv’nstuff

Oliver Tausend July 28, 2011 at 12:59 pm

I don’t care about self-doubt in others, I am busy enough with my own – which is getting better day by day.

When we make an offer, and the other person doesn’t say yes it means no.

We can only check if

–> we said the right things to them and if we planted the self-doubt in them with our words
–> it’s an excuse or a true objection.

In most cases, it will be an excuse because the people who join us will probably do so in spite of their self-doubt. Chances are they learn to get over it over time, just like you and me.

Why wasting time with people who use the obvious (“I have never done this before.”) as an excuse ? When I was born, I have never lived before (at least not in this body) and I wasn’t even asked.

Thanks for sharing your insights.

Jayne Kopp July 28, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Hi Oliver, you do make me laugh occasionally. ie: “I have never lived before (at least not in this body) and I wasn’t even asked.”

ha ha

What I’m trying to say in this post Oliver that people should just go for ‘it’… whether ‘it’ is joining me or starting something for themselves.

Some of my coaching clients do join me, but others are interested in even doing affiliate marketing, yet won’t do themselves a favour. Drives me nuts.

In a way, I’m ranting I guess, hoping to point out the ridiculousness of some people. To be honest it shouldn’t bother me whether people put their best foot forward or not… but it does! :-( and with that said, they may be making excuses but only to themselves.

Do you get these responses Oliver into your email box? I was just wondering because I always thought people did… but t hen today when you said you would come back to check my response… I wondered …because as you know, I hadn’t actually responded -yet!!

Thanks Oliver for giving this post your attention and sharing your perspective.

best

Dr. Bob Clarke July 28, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Thanks Jayne for such a personal story about your self doubt. We all have our stories, for sure. Even the most successful people we know undoubtedly go through periods of questioning their competence.

I love all your tips for overcoming self doubt low self esteem, but I especially like two of them — staying away from negative people who suck the life out of you (well at least they suck your positive energy) and also about getting a coach.

I honestly wasn’t that sold on coaching — after all, everyone seems to offer coaching nowadays. But after taking the Coaching Cognition training and certification, I see coaching in a new light.

Getting a quality coach who understands the process can be a life changer, for sure.

Thanks for your inspiring words, Jayne.

Jayne Kopp August 1, 2011 at 11:34 pm

HI Bob, sorry about the late response… (I sound like a parrot) as I have been playing catch up now for about an hour!

You are SO right about avoiding negative people. I had a friend once who was always down in the dumps… it always got to me and wore me out!

Second… I too was skeptical about having a coach… until I did the same as you and went through a coaching program to actually be one myself. That also at the tame time lead me to hire a coach… and it definitely helps. Surprising really isn’t it?

As you say though the coach needs to know the process or at least have a good grasp on where you want to be and a little about the industry.

Thanks for stopping by Bob.

Talk soon.