Sometimes You Have to Let Your Hair Down & Have Some Fun !

by Jayne Kopp on August 17, 2011

let your hair down, have some fun

having some fun...

Are you able to let your hair down and have some fun occasionally or are you all work and no play?

I personally am a bit of a workaholic and frankly could go like the ‘energizer bunny’ creating home projects, and working on my business 24/7.

There are a couple of reasons for this: One, I enjoy what I do (business or personal front), and secondly, I’m just programmed that way.

Where my business is concerned, I occasionally have to give my head a shake and realize the reason I am in my line of work…which is of course to focus on my “big why” – my beautiful kids and my desire to enjoy quality time with them. (Particularly while they are young and still want their ‘mommy” ;-) )

Though it has been a little bit of an adjustment for me, you may have noticed I haven’t posted as regularly as I normally do during this summer holiday. It’s because I have instead forced myself to let my hair down to have little fun at the Springs RV Resort here in Beautiful British Columbia about an hour and a half from my home.

You see, last year I decided that it was time I made an investment for my children … in a couple of ways: I wanted to introduce them to a few new experiences and explore beautiful BC.

I went out and purchased a 34 foot motor home we lovingly refer to as the ‘rolling turd’ – a name adopted from Robin Williams’s movie “RV” .

While we were ‘testing the water’ in our rolling turd last year, we came across a semi-hidden jewel in Harrison Hot Springs, BC – a holiday destination for many during the summer months..

The “jewel” I’m referring to is The Springs RV Resort, an ‘executive style RV Park nestled against the hills and moments from Harrison Lake. The resort sports a beautiful new and spotlessly maintained pool and hot tub, a full-on playground for the children, an antique carousel, a fun area with horseshoe pits etc, and an off leash dog area. (For our four-legged friends) and shower/washroom facilities that make you feel you’re in a ‘spa’.

This year the resort managers added a brand new open air pavilion complete with gas fireplace… to lounge by, (the second of these areas on the resort)… but more importantly an area where many activities are held for children and adults alike. (You should see the ‘rocking’ parties thrown after the kiddies are in bed!!)

After having a fun at the resort last year, we decided to purchase our own lot as a ‘home away from home” to have available whenever we feel like taking a break.

The “turd” now more or less lives up there and is used more as a ‘cabin’ than a mobile vehicle.

These last three months we have personalized our lot with stamped concrete, synthetic turf (as I am a distributor on the side) … as well as we have built a children’s ‘bunk house’ with a bunk bed for extra guests.

We have also erected a cozy gazebo as a relaxing seating area complete with fire pit for making Samores and roasting marshmallows!

It’s a great place to be and when up here one only has two choices: Participate in the extra curricular activities that are always happening or… simply relax!

With all this said, the only thing that drives me a little wild (well a little more than a ‘little wild” … is the unstable internet connection…and although the resort managers are working to correct this irritation, for now it’s a sure fire way to forcing you(me) to unplug… whether I like it or not.

Never the less, when all the planets are aligned, I can, on occasion manage to get an odd post published or at least read up on some of my fave blogs and leave a few comments.

The post I am publishing (this one) was actually written a few days ago while at the resort… I tried to publish it… but to no avail. I decided to stop trying to get online as I prefer to keep my blood pressure at a manageable level!!

Instead I hung with the kids after they attended ‘Kids Camp Week’… a week jam packed with kiddie fun hosted by the management of our community as well as my girlfriend Julie who came up to spend some bonding time for a few days!.

The Kids Camp week is a very exciting time for the children as they partake in all types of activities ranging form scavenger hunts, making ices cream, slip and slide parties, relay races, and arts and crafts, topped off at the end of the week with a late night outdoor movie complete with popcorn and roasting marshmallows and an overnight camp out in tents!!.

While I have thoroughly enjoyed my ‘forced’ time out, it has taken effort to switch gears. I have had to continue to remind myself that my purpose behind working online is so I can afford to ‘chill’ and therefore should continue to count my blessings…(which I do).

It has been a whole barrel of fun, for the adults and kids alike … but I have to come clean and tell you how much I have missed you, my online friends. I just could not resist writing this post just to share with you what I’ve been up to.

On the upside, I have also had time to think A LOT! I’m not saying I’ve driven myself into frenzy with thinking, (not at all) but I’ve really had time to focus on what’s important. (I do often anyway)… but this week a few events have caused me to really enjoy the moment.

I have also taken the opportunity )on the drive here & on the drive back home), as well as during certain quiet times to re listen to my personal development CD’s. Funnily, although I listen to them semi-often, this week a couple of the topics really struck a cord in a different way. Needless to say, even though the WIFI wasn’t reliable, my pen and paper was, hence I have taken many notes and as you might imagine and have a slew of things to share once I get my act together this next couple of days

I will be back to reality in fairly short order but just need a day or so for recovery (as my friends’ daughter got married on Saturday… and sadly I just can’t handle the late nights like I used to! But also apart from this pesky summer cold I’ve been trying to keep at bay, I also need time to get ‘sorted’…. So that’s my project tomorrow.

I’m sharing a few photos of my forced relaxation and just want to say again how I appreciate you, (my blog visitors and regular friends and support posse). I can’t wait to see you all soon.

have some fun, let your hair down

Hope you are all taking some time to let your hair down and have some fun too. After all, isn’t that what life’s all about?

Till then, picture me raising a “Skinny Girl Margarita” as I sign off.

Ciao for now my friends. See you all soon.

Related posts:

1. Being Responsible and Having Fun | Where is Your Comfort Zone? Where is your comfort zone between being responsible and having...
  2. Why Do Men and Women Think Differently? | Fun Friday Answer It’s often been said that men and women think differently,...

Elane November 24, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Mostly career moms have this issue on their life. Even me who works part time and just staying at home sometimes tend to forget to spend quality time with my child. I should have known about this earlier before my child get to realize that I’m being workaholic and forget to play and read him books every night. He sometimes get snub at me and murmurs a lot when I start to face my laptop. Wish I can bring back the time and make it up for my child.
Elane recently posted..how to stop hair lossMy Profile

Rosie September 7, 2011 at 11:49 am

Jayne –

Like you, I have to force myself to relax and have a good time instead of working… But when I do, even though sometimes it takes a lot of coercing, I always feel better after I’ve done it. And I find that once I’ve had a few days off to let my hair down and have a good time, I’m even more productive once I do get back to work!

@}—Rosie

Ian Belanger | Network Marketing Success August 25, 2011 at 8:42 am

All work, no play makes for unhappy people and isn’t this why we started a home business. So we could work when and where we want to. I know that’s one of the main reasons I did.

Also, taking a break from work, gives you a chance to “recharge your batteries”. And we all need that from time to time. It does help when you live in a beautiful place like BC.

I also live in a beautiful place, in the western mountains of Maine and I live where my closest neighbors are the deer in my back yard. Just getting out to enjoy the outdoors can make a big difference in stress levels and I believe it helps me to be more creative.

Thanks for sharing Jayne and have a great day!

Jayne Kopp August 26, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Hi Ian, your home sounds heavenly! There truly is nothing like getting outside to enjoy the fresh air and nature.

Sometimes I still have to remind myself that I work at home so I can kick back. I find If I don’t allow myself the time it feel like I’m pulling a piano and everything seems much harder than it does after I take a little break.

Thanks for stopping.

broccoli soup August 23, 2011 at 1:47 am

Your post has remind me the first trip of me with my family after the completion of university qualification.We enjoy at water sport club a lot of diving and swimming. Your pic shows that all people were in a relax mode.

Natalie Peace August 22, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Jayne – my fellow British Columbian – we certainly do need to get out and enjoy this beautiful province we live in! I couldn’t agree with you more.

I just attended a Roots & Blues music festival this past weekend, and I’ve made regular trips to various islands, lakes, cabins and campsites to visit with loved ones and get some R&R.

Regular time away from my businesses always recharges my batteries and keeps me inspired, and able to give more of myself :)

Jayne Kopp August 23, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Hi Natalie, our beautiful province is a little bit of Gods country is it not? We are so blessed to live in such a beautiful place.

Admittedly, I could do with a little less rain than we have had this summer but they say it’s supposed to be nice now for a couple of weeks. Fingers crossed for an Indian summer. (is that still politically correct?)

Sounds like you had a lovely time to let your hair down too.

I’m with you, it really does recharge the old batteries. I figure, why miss out on fun when I’ll be working full on once the kids are back.

Great to see you

bodynsoil August 22, 2011 at 6:11 pm

I can see our lives in your post as we followed the same path when we were in a similar situation. We too purchased a camper and parked it in a seasonal lot, the only time we really relaxed and enjoyed our life with family was when we were at the camper completely disconnected from all things work related. Being at our camper is the only time we can truly relax and just enjoy life for what it is: we listen to the birds, wind rustling through the leaves and the quiet sounds of nature.

I am glad that you have found something that helps you to relax and let your hair down for long enough to spend extra time with the children as they grow in a blink of an eye.

Jayne Kopp August 23, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Hello there, I can tell you and I have been on the same page. how old are your children now?

I agree children grow in a flash and that is one of the key reasons I make the conscious decision to pull away. It takes a bit of getting used to but once I surrender to the fact that I may as well take advantage, I’m ok after a day or so!

Sitting up at Harrison, especially first thing in the morning before anyone else is awake is something I really enjoy, as you say with no other sounds than birds and rustling leaves!!

lovely to meet you, please come again.

best

Steve Nicholas August 22, 2011 at 8:55 am

Great post, Jayne! It really is amazing to see what happens when we just get away from everything. I know that one of the things that I dreaded the most on my honeymoon was the instant that my wife realized that she still got one bar on her cell phone ;-) When I got online for the first time after four days, I was shocked to discover over 300 messages in my inbox (and this was before my blogging days, so imagine what the total would’ve been at that point :-P ). Still, I think that the key is realizing that sometimes, you just have to enter the real world and see what happens when you leave the virtual world behind, even if only for a little while.

Jayne Kopp August 23, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Hi Steve, how lovely to see you again. I do think of you often! :-) It seems we have both been doing our own things lately. Anyway, after Sept 4th (approx) life will return to the crazy normal routine.

It’s kind of nice to be out of touch though isn’t it. We are so ‘plugged in’ these days. I would love to go back to the 70s or 80s and just re-feel what it was like to not be so connected!

A little break does us all the world of good.

See you soon

Peppy | The PeppyWrites Chronicles August 20, 2011 at 11:33 am

Hello Jayne,

Ahhh! If anybody deserves to “let her hair down” it’s you! Jayne, I thoroughly enjoy your refreshing approach to life – the honesty in which you express your feelings about “all things life” – and I’m glad you have had a great summer!

I have to say, I started worrying if you weren’t feeling well or … you know, whatever my imagination could conjure up, so I was glad to read this post and hear your not only doing all right but you’ve been having a great time with your kids.

Jayne, the memories you are giving your children now will be among the greatest gifts you could ever bestow upon them! I’ve enjoyed the pictures you have shared … and definitely see the similarities – your beautiful eyes are seen in your children.

As is obvious from all your “blog buddies” comments – it’s nice to have you home and looking forward to reading the stories you gathered from your summer trip.

Oh, by the way, what’s a “skinny margarita?” Hmmm, must be good!

Take care and “welcome home!”

Peppy

Jayne Kopp August 23, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Hi Peppy, what a lovely comment! I think my kids are beautiful too, albeit I might be a ‘tiny bit’ biased!

I have had a lot of fun up at Harrison Hot Springs for sure although it was a bit of an adjustment not to be hammering away on my computer for such a long period of time. The WIFI ensured I took the deserved break!!

I have been fighting a silly summer cold and cough, but not enough to hold be back. :-)

I am hoping my kids will remember these awesome holidays and think back to these times when they are older. They will have the lot to spend time with their children if they choose to do the same as I bought the lot for them so when they are old enough they can choose to do whatever they wish. ie: sell it and put the money towards college or real estate (Hopefully the latter if they decide not to keep it)… but preferably they will continue on doing what we do. (that’s my real hope).

A Skinny Girl Margarita is a low calorie Margarita. My friend Julie is on the weight watchers diet and makes these drinks that are only 100 calories. Its Tequila, lime juice, triple sec over ice. They are quite yummy considering they are not all slushy like.

She’s the expert in making them, I just drink em! :-)

Hope you are doing well. I will pop over and see you soon. I have been over once or twice just to keep an eye on you!

A. Leigh Edwards August 19, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Sounds and looks as if you and your family enjoyed an amazing time. I agree that it’s most wonderful to take time and Relax, Relate, and Release and no better people to do it with than your very own family…beautiful reminder to take 5 and regroup.

Jayne Kopp August 23, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Thanks Leigh for stopping by to add to the conversation.

It indeed has been a lovely rest and time to put my brain in almost neutral.

Adrienne August 19, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Congratulations Jayne on taking some time off and spending it with your children.

I’m sure you feel very blessed that you are even able to do that so see, it’s what needed to be done. Doesn’t sound like it was too painful either.

hope the weather was a lot better there than it is here because spending time outside sounds just painful to me right now. Yep, the heat wave has been here for about three months now but I’m sure in BC it’s a whole nother story! :-)

Glad you are back, we missed you but this was a much needed and refreshing break. Now, it’s my turn! If only! :-)

Adrienne

Jayne Kopp August 23, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Hi Adrienne, lovely to see your smiling face over here again! You have been busy!

Heat wave?? For sure not us. We were wondering for a while if summer was actually going to find us this year. It really has been unusually wet and chilly, however this week seems to be much nicer and warmer and they are expecting a longer summer once it does arrive properly.

It has been nice in any event, just being by those who I love and being able to sit back and veg for a while!

Lovely to see you. I hope you can take a little breather soon.

Lou Barba August 19, 2011 at 4:43 am

Hi Jane,

Some people have to force themselves to take a break. When I went to college, there were lots of kids working from 7AM to 11PM on a regular basis. I can imagine the converstaion if they went on a date! If you can’t make yourself take a break, schedule it on your planner. :)

Lou

Jayne Kopp August 23, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Lou, you are absolutely right. One needs to consciously schedule a break every once in a while particularly with the ones you love the most!

Life is too short not to.

Thanks for stopping by.

Catarina August 18, 2011 at 11:03 am

Agree with you Jayne, it’s a good idea to let your hair down and have fun. Sounds like you are and we should from now on picture you with a margarita:-)

Seriously all work no fun doesn’t work for anyone in the long run no matter how much we love what we are doing. We also need to let our hair down and just have fun!

Jayne Kopp August 18, 2011 at 10:50 pm

Hi Catarina, I agree, too long grinding away makes our work seem like work. We all deserve a break! Do you take one once in a while? You always seem so on top of things, I often have wondered how you stay so knowledgeable on all the worlds events!

Take care… and thanks for the comment.

Monyelle August 18, 2011 at 6:57 am

Hey Jayne!

This looks like so much fun! It is so important for us to remember to take time and recharge our batteries. Thank you so much for sharing your experience and photos with us!

Take care,
Monyelle

Jayne Kopp August 18, 2011 at 10:51 pm

HI Monyelle, thanks so much for coming over. I know how busy you have been with your ‘spiffy’ new blog.

We do need a recharge sometimes as it would be a shame for our work to actually start feeling like ‘work’… wouldn’t it?

See you soon… I’m going to pop in on you again real soon.

Fabrizio August 18, 2011 at 6:35 am

Inspiring story, sounds like you guys had a great time. My girlfriend is always telling me that I work too many hours and even on the weekends I can’t seem to drag myself away from the desk. After reading your post I now think that I really need to make an effort to drag myself away and maybe treat her to a break away somewhere where I can’t have access to the world wide web.

Melody | Deliberate Receiving August 18, 2011 at 4:47 am

Wow, that RV park sounds amazing! I had no idea something like that existed.
I know exactly what you mean by “forced relaxation”. I went on a Shamanic retreat last weekend (awesome!!!!), as part of my regular time out sessions where I just focus on me, my own growth and nothing else. There was no internet and no comfortable way for me to work. So I didn’t. And I realized that had I been able to connect, I would have. So, thank God that we haven’t completely cabled up the wilderness yet, eh?

Good to see you back.

Hugs,
Melody

Jayne Kopp August 18, 2011 at 10:53 pm

Hi Melody, the park really is amazing. You would have to be there to feel the energy. (You would feel it immediately… I guarantee it) :-)

Your retreat sounds great. I am sure I could use one of those to get back in touch with myself sometimes. Hmmm Shamanic retreat… now there is food for thought. You will have to share your experience with us!

Great to see you. Can’t wait to get back upto speed.

Rowena Bolo August 18, 2011 at 4:30 am

Happy Belated Birthday,, and what a grand celebration it was! I am so glad when I saw your family photos on facebook, as your smiles, especially your kids joyful smiles are simply priceless. I especially loved how you described your personalized lot, and the gazebo, sounds, oh, so heavenly! :-)

You so deserved that mini vacation, and of course it was also your birthday celebration. Thank you for sharing your bonding moments with your kids. The photos are quite small, so I’m happy that we’re connected on FB.. :) Welcome back, Jayne! I am sure you’re all fired-up to make it a productive week..

- Rowena

Jayne Kopp August 18, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Hi Rowena, thanks for showing your smiling face over here.

It was a wonderful week away and a great Birthday celebration. It was just what the doctor ordered!

The RV Resort is a great place and it really is a tiny bit of heaven! :-)

Thanks for coming by. I look forward to keeping in closer touch once I pick up speed again. ((soon))

Paul white August 18, 2011 at 1:12 am

What about those people who do not have hair? who are Bald?
hehehehehehe :) ;)
Sometimes you need to take time off and relax yourself and take a break from things. Going on a vacation always works. Good post.

Rachael Slorach August 17, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Well done on taking some well earned time off ‘unplugged’. Your destination seems like a little slice of heaven so I am glad you are taking it all it, being present and enjoying the kids!

Have a drink for us
Rachael Slorach recently posted..Stressed? Find the Sweet Spot between Eustress and DistressMy Profile

Jayne Kopp August 18, 2011 at 10:56 pm

HI Rachael, I know you know the importance of staying close with the kids. We have the same ‘ why’ you know!? :-)

Hope your week has gone well and you are feeling pumped up again!