Do You REALLY Want to be an Entrepreneur or Are You Just a “Yabut”?

by Jayne Kopp on September 7, 2011

be an entrepreneur, become and entrepreneur, being an entrepreneur

During the course of being an entrepreneur online, these last 3+ years, I have met a number of people who wish to be entrepreneurs also, yet many are nothing more than ‘Yabuts”.

Now if wondering what ‘yabuts’ are, they are simply those who despite their deep down desire to succeed … just can’t help but talk themselves out of taking the first step… or doing the work required to become an entrepreneur:

“Yabut” I’m not technical”…
“yabut… I’m not a salesperson”..
“Yabut, I’m not experienced” …
“yabut, all the successful people have always been successful”…

… and on and on the “excuses” go!

Now of course there are many reasons people make these excuses rather than stepping out to make it happen:

There are those who would simply like to find the easiest way to make money online… doing nothing! ;-)

Then there are those who lack severely in the self worth / self image department and are so riddled with self doubt, they’ll likely never try anything new and sadly never make progress.

Then there are those who can’t see past the fear of failure. These people are not always necessarily lacking in self worth, sometimes they just lack the guts to try something new in case their friends think they are nuts for starting a business. In other words, they care too much about what others think.

Other excuses include the perceived belief there is too much competition, or again, they need to be a salesperson… or there are too many scams, and so on.

So what does it take to become an entrepreneur?

In my humble opinion you need to suck it up! (Whatever “it” is). You need to drum up the gumption and tenacity and be willing to take risks. You have to want to step out and focus on your goals … despite possible risk.

You must be determined, focused, ambitious and hard working. You must know that you deserve success and believe that anything is possible… IF you try!

You must acknowledge the fact that the world is your oyster and we ALL have to seize opportunities in life.

In other words … you need to step out and walk on the “wild side”! :-) Then grab the world by the short hairs and exercise your power of choice to make changes!!

You must also realize by doing nothing, you will likely miss the boat and never change your circumstances.

If you are a person who TRULY has the burning desire to be an entrepreneur, here are some things to keep in mind.

Being an entrepreneur does not have to break the bank. There are many low cost business opportunities, particularly if starting an online business tickles your fancy.

I do appreciate the fact that you will have to learn a few things… but think about it this way: We all start knowing nothing!! Period!

In other words none of us have the built-in knowledge when we get started in anything. Instead, we ALL have to learn new skills when taking on anything that is new.

It’s no different than starting a new JOB. You have to learn HOW to fulfill your new job description… don’t you?? (I’d be willing to bet you’d never turn a job down simply based on the fact you’ve never done it before!)

You see, you simply have to get started, and when you do, eventually you will learn the required skills and usually within a reasonable amount of time things get easier and eventually become second nature!

Same with being an entrepreneur; the difference here is that working for yourself benefits you… not your boss… and that in itself is priceless!

I also love the fact that once you take the plunge and get the wheels turning you put yourself in full control of your life and future… not to mention, the future of your family if you have one.

Working a J-O-B is not a secure existence for anyone. In this economy even the most stable of companies can face lay offs or even worse, having to close the doors.

The good news is however, that all you have to do is decide to get off your duff and start!

By working towards your goals rather than just ‘thinking’ about it…or worse, talking yourself out of it, you will find there are many options at your fingertips to help you create your own security.

For example:

You might select a low cost business opportunity to promote, similar to the one I promote with my business.

You might find that Affiliate Marketing to be a great option … and one that also gives you a variety of paths to take.

Perhaps if you enjoy writing, freelancing might be a route you would like to go.

Maybe learning how to build a website in order to sell products or market e-books might float your boat.

There really are SO many options… just keep in mind not to be daft and dive in headlong to something that doesn’t tickle your fancy or costs more than you can afford.

Take my word for it: There are literally millions of people who are earning a very comfortable living online… and you can too if you are serious about success.

The option of becoming an entrepreneur (particularly since the awesome internet) is something that is available to anybody who is willing to roll up their sleeves.

Isn’t it time you learned to take control of your life and learn to live in the moment instead of making excuses and being nothing more than a ‘yabut”?

Feel free to contact me at any time to get your questions answered and let’s see if we can’t get you on the road to being an entrepreneur and living life to its fullest?

Dev September 26, 2011 at 6:21 pm

What an inspiring and amazing post, Jayne. Most of my friends are Yabuts ;) !

Thanks for sharing this inspirational post, jayne. Keep up the awesome work!

Jayne Kopp September 27, 2011 at 11:45 am

HI Dev, perhaps we share some of the same friends! :-) Thanks so much for stopping by. Lovely to see you my friend. I know how busy you are! You are NOT a yabut!! In fact, you never cease to amaze me! Thanks for everything you do.

Ian Belanger September 26, 2011 at 10:16 am

Great post! I deal with the yabuts everyday and there are many more of them, then there are of us do’ers. Success does not come handed to you on a silver platter. It takes hard work and dedication, consistency and drive, and you need to ignore the naysayers. Avoid those people who bring you down and spend more time around positive thinkers. In this case, the company you keep, really does matter.

Thanks for sharing Jayne and have a great day!

Jayne Kopp September 27, 2011 at 11:47 am

HI Ian, lovely to see you. I can see you have been busy.

Yes, the world is full of Yabuts. I too deal with many of them. My goal is to change each ‘yabut’ to a ‘do er’ one yabut at a tie! ;-) Some can be cured… just takes a little convincing before they realize making excuses doesn’t pay the bills!

See you soon

Heather Stephens September 26, 2011 at 4:51 am

Hi Jayne! Love the attitude and I do agree that we all need to take a walk on the wild side! Business is risky, but not as risky as many people think. I believe, for me at least, the biggest risks were the ones that required me to push past my fears and do it anyway. It is always hardest in the beginning, but with a little bit of time, taking the risks actually become fun, and a great way to see what you’re made of!

Great post, Jayne!
Heather

Easther September 23, 2011 at 7:40 am

I’m very much amused with this one. There’s always a thin line between dreamers and those who makes their dreams a reality. While it’s easier said than done most of the time, taking action is easy though it takes a lot of time.

Jayne Kopp September 25, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Hi Easther, well, it’s wonderful to dream, but even better if you actually take some action to make it happen. As you say, naturally it’s going to take some time, but sometimes a person can spend as much time dreaming (without moving) as they might if they actually implemented.

Thanks for stopping by.

David Epperson September 22, 2011 at 7:19 am

Now this one here got my attention. Pardon me for being so ignorant, but upon reading your post title, I was wondering what the heck a “yabut” is, and on reading further, it finally dawned on me. :)

Technically, the yabuts are dreamers who are so afraid to take their plans into actions. Really inspiring!

David Epperson
Improve Blog Ranking

Jayne Kopp September 22, 2011 at 6:42 pm

HI David, great to meet you and thanks for stopping by.

LOL, I understand most people wouldn’t get it off the bat… at least it captured your attention!!

Yabuts are temporary dreamers… a few times per day. they really don’t believe in their dreams, in fact may be even afraid of the. I think it’s a momentary fantasy… all because they’ve chosen the height of their own ceiling! I think I feel another blog post coming on!

Lovely to see you.

Catarina Alexon September 21, 2011 at 8:58 am

Great article Jayne.

Just remember that there’s a huge difference between having an entrepreneurial mind and carrying out entrepreneurial activity:-)

What you are talking about here is entrepreneurial activity. Anyone can do that just the way you write. However someone with an entrepreneurial mind isn’t afraid of risking everything they have in order to achieve whatever it is. Very few people have the currage and passion to do so. And don’t forget that people with entrepreneurial minds struggle a lot and frequently go bancrupt. Henry Ford and Mahatman Ghandi are two very good examples of entrepreneurial minds.

Jayne Kopp September 21, 2011 at 12:15 pm

HI Catarina, thanks for the great comment! You have re-phrased what I’m getting at perfectly by pointing out the difference between the entrepreneurial mind and entrepreneurial activity.

Great way to put it.

Thankfully most online ventures don’t require you have to risk everything… although I know some people do. That’s just not using common sense (In many cases that is), although I personally know a few people who have indeed lost everything. Some has sat still and licked wounds for life, but I do know others who have bounced back and gone far beyond their previous circumstances.

Thanks for adding to this concersation Catarina!

Lou Barba@informationhighwaycardandgiftshop.com September 21, 2011 at 8:57 am

I agree that each method of being an entrepreneur takes work. My daughter ran into a little boy (eight or ten) in a store parking lot selling hand printed cards to make money for college. They were awful, comparable to an elementary school band concert. He even had printed on the back that if you wanted to make an appointment for custom made cards, to call such and such number to make the appointment. My daughter gave him twenty dollars for one card! I wouldn’t recommend that method to everyone, but everyone needs different methods to effectively utilize the time and effort they put into their business.

Lou

Jayne Kopp September 21, 2011 at 12:21 pm

HI Lou, what a great story. thanks for sharing.

You know, your daughter will have done him a wonderful favour by simply taking her hat off to his courage despite the quality of his cards.

At least he had the gumption to step out there and take action even though it wasn’t perfect. I am sure in time he too will learn to tweak and perfect… but at least he is doing it.

Your daughter might just have given him more wind beneath his wings to keep going.

how nice!

Thanks Lou.

Natalie Peace September 20, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Love it, Jayne – so much great advice for wannabe entrepreneurs… helpful for people to know there are several low-risk options out there if you don’t have a ton of time or money to invest. I know so many people who want to start a business but are afraid for all kinds of reasons. Time for them to look at their “yabuts” and turn them around :)

Jayne Kopp September 21, 2011 at 12:19 pm

HI Natalie. It is a shame there are so many ‘wannabe’s’ when we have such awesome tools right at our finger tips.

I learned very early in life that the only way to take charge of a situation is to make a decision and take action. Sometimes things seem far fetched at first, but once you crack in, it’s amazing the tracks you can make.

nice to see you again.

Charles Holmes September 20, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Great post.

The world is filled with “Yabuts.” We need more people who will stop making excuses and start making things happen.

In life, you can have results, or you can have excuses, but you can’thave both.

Thanks for the great blog post.

Chuck

Radu September 19, 2011 at 10:35 am

I love the quote from the picture. The difference is made by what you focus on:) You can find 1 billion reasons to not do something but just one reason you can do it saves the situation.
Being an entrepreneur is one of the greatest things I ever experienced.. why? Because you finally take total responsibility and make things happen.. because you have all sorts of experiences that help you make clear decisions and know who you really are.

As you noted, this journey reveals hidden talents and abilities that can help you make a positive difference in the world.
IF you are willing to give up to any yabut things will change for the better without the shadow of a doubt.

Thanks for sharing your inspirational ideas:)
~Radu

Jayne Kopp September 21, 2011 at 12:17 pm

HI Radu, it is really all about making a decision and acting on it. It’s a matter of staying open and focusing on your inner power. I find it a tremendous experience to discover other things simply because I decided way back when to take this journey.

Thanks for sharing our points of view Radu. Always nice to see you.

Stacy September 19, 2011 at 9:30 am

Hi Jayne!

Thanks for this very inspiring post! It can be very frustrating to deal with the yabuts in life and in business but more than anything I don’t want to be one of them!

It’s easy to find the problems but it’s not so easy to find the solutions and take the steps to follow through with the solutions.

I took a break over the Summer and because I’m out of routine of things it is tempting to be a yabut and stay in the mode of vacation. It’s so nice and relaxing after all. :) But it’s time for some good “work” which is so much more rewarding!

Take care,

Jayne Kopp September 19, 2011 at 10:27 am

Hi Stacy… Yabut, its good to rest too!! lol. You are not a ‘natural’ Yabut, you have your hands full and work full time doing a medley of things all year.

We do have to remember to rest too. I am in the same boat as you and ‘chose’ to rest and play with the kids through the summer. Even we ‘peculiar breeds’ need time to regroup and have a little fun after all. Don’t we?

Lovely to see you back and hopefully you are recharged. I am just getting back into the swing of things in order to make this year count!

Thanks for stopping by!

Peter Fuller MBA September 12, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Excellent post Jayne

Everyday I run into these Yabuts.

I do not mind but they complain and complain :)

Peter

Jayne Kopp September 19, 2011 at 10:29 am

Hi Peter, Yabuts are everywhere. I’ve been one through the summer and even this last week I am trying to break free of the ‘Yabut’ I’m just getting back into the routine again” scenario. Can you tell. Just a little tardy on getting back on track.

Seriously though, so many people talk themselves out of things before they even get started and that’s the part that is a shame.

Lovely to see you.

Talk soon

Janet @ The Natural Networker September 11, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Jayne, aloha. Do you mean to tell me you have Yabuts in Canada too? OMG, I thought we had cornered the market in the US. Or, perhaps it is the Yabuts and they move around a lot.

Years ago while enjoying cocktails, several of us talked about our favorite Yabuts! Jayne, if you ever want to laugh so that your sides hurt, start a conversation with people like us and have people share their favorite Yabuts.

Jayne, what mystifies me is why anyone would want to give some control over their lives. As Jim Rohn always said, “For things to change, you have to change.”

If people are unhappy with their current circumstances yet do nothing about it, the only things that will be different 5 years from now is that they will be 5 years older and even unhappier. Doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me.

What’s interesting, Jayne, is whenever we learn anything new– learning to play a sport, an instrument or anything, there is a learning curve. We know we are not going to be perfect the first time or even the tenth. Yet, somehow, to learn to be a better golfer or tennis player is worth the hours of practice and the mistakes we are not willing to invest in a business.

Jayne, thanks so much for letting me know the Yabuts have moved to Canada. If you think of them as entertainment rather than business partners, if will make it much easier for you to enjoy them.

Best wishes for a fantastic week ahead. Until next time, aloha. Janet

Jayne Kopp September 19, 2011 at 10:33 am

Hi Janet, well… I don’t think they’re all here yet! I have conversations with yabuts from all over the world. I think it’s spread out to a few different continents to be honest. Perhaps one day they’ll come up with a vaccine and it will cure the ‘yabut syndrome”!

I totally understand what you are meaning when you say that “everything has a learning curve”. I think sometimes people want to play and still have results.

They have put the cart before the horse though as if they got their investment priorities straight and looked after their business, they would be able to do both before too, too long and earn while playing golf.

Lovely to see you Janet. Sorry for the time lapse in getting back to you. I’ve been a bit daft lately trying to get back into the routine of school and activities for the kids. Everything hit in full swing and it took a while to break free of vacation mode.

See you soon.

Felicia @ No Deposit Poker September 10, 2011 at 12:10 am

Many people think that online marketing is a sure fire get rich quick scheme. However, when they try it and see how difficult it is, they quit without even waiting a year to see the outcome.

Ryan Biddulph September 9, 2011 at 12:16 am

Ahh yes, the Yabuts. Many of my next door neighbors are Yabuts ;)

Super inspiration here. My fave quote: “You do it, or you don’t.”

If you are serious about changing your lift and embracing a home based opp as the vehicle to do it, you do it. If you aren’t, I want nothing to do with you. No more time wasting on people ruled by fear.

I know INSTANTLY if someone is serious about becoming an entrepreneur. They say Yes. They do. From Day 1. The other crowd lists a series of excuses. He or she never joins the entrepreneurial crew, and I see his or her social media site months or even years later. Still complaining about struggling, or pushing a cheap product for chicken-feed, because it’s “safe” and comfortable.

Either you do it. Or you don’t. Either way, YOU are deciding.

Thanks for sharing the inspiration Jayne!

RB

Jayne Kopp September 19, 2011 at 10:36 am

Well said Ryan. “You either do it or you don’t”.

I have had many people join me in my business who actually fought the concept. Some decided to break free of the strong hold and did very well. (some even kicked my butt).

Then there are those who as you say, get started, but months later you check on their twitter account and there were four tweets and they seemingly have dropped off the planet.

I used to call people occasionally to see where they were. I dont anymore. Those who are on board full on… are the ones who are worth spending time with.

Those who don’t even though it’s a shame, it really does boil down to their own decisions.

Lovely to see you.

Adrienne September 8, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Great post Jayne and boy are you right about that. My thinking on this subject is that they just don’t want it bad enough. I look at those people as all talk and no action.

Heck, we all had to start at the beginning not knowing a darn thing but the fun thing about staring a business online is that you get to meet so many cool people that are actually willing to help you which I believe makes this learning process a whole lot more fun.

I never thought about becoming an entrepreneur while I was in corporate America. Never crossed my mind because I never saw it as a possibility until my company downsized and I realized I just didn’t want to keep doing that same old job any longer. I was scared to death and had all those excuses too but you know what? I wanted to eat!

Just jump on in, the water’s really warm. You’ll love it here, I promise! :-)

Thanks for the post Jayne, enjoyed it a lot! Guess that’s because I can relate so much.

Jayne Kopp September 19, 2011 at 10:38 am

Hello lovely Adrienne. Sorry for lapsing in responding to your awesome comment. Having difficulty taking control of the routine after my lovely break.

I do believe Adrienne, that it does boil down into people not wanting ‘it’ badly enough. Even if there are road blocks or they fear failure (which many of us do)… if you really want to succeed, you will learn to battle and overcome those limiting beliefs. The water does start to warm up nicely.

Lovely to see you.