Is Your Online Business Failing? Or, Could it be That You’re Just Not…

by Jayne Kopp on September 14, 2011

your online business, business failure, small business failure

Online 'failure'... or?

Is your online business failing… or could it be that you’re just not DOING?

You may have heard that particularly in our industry (online marketing) that only 3% of the people who start an online business actually succeed, while 97% fail.

Although this statistic is true, it’s enough to put anybody off from even trying if you’re amongst the weak at heart.

The truth is however, even though it’s OK to hear this statistic, it isn’t one you should spend too much time focusing on.

Here’s why:

While it is true that many people do fail while building an online business, it is also true that most people don’t actually FAIL in the true sense of the word, they just don’t put any work into making it succeed.

In other words they don’t actually ‘do anything’ or ‘take action… and that is the bottom line.

In the end, they only fail because they quit… or ‘log off’ for good!

Now here are my thoughts on the topic and believe me, this is based on personal experience so I do know a thing or two about a thing or two: ;-)

First of all, I’d like to mention that in my humble opinion starting an online business is one of the all time best moves you can make.

If you haven’t made the move to starting an online business… yet you’ve thought it to death… all I can say is “get on with it”!

Not only do you have the opportunity to earn an outstanding income, create time freedom to spend time doing the things you love, not to mention the personal fulfillment; it’s one of the most cost effective business endeavours a person can embark upon.

As long as you use that ‘loaf’ of yours (the one between your ears) and don’t dive into something that is far beyond your budget; you hold onto a bit of common sense, it does not have to be scary!

What’s there to be scared about anyway?

You can get a business up and running for a fraction of the cost of starting most brick and mortar businesses and what’s even better is you can literally reach the ends of the earth right from your own kitchen table!

Furthermore there are so many helpful individuals online sharing marketing information that it’s enough to make your head spin!

With that said though, this is where the problem often lies.

You see, although it’s wonderful to have all this free information at your finger tips, and hundreds of helpful individuals all sharing their own two bits, the problem is its so easy to become ‘dummied’ with information overload. So much that often you just don’t know what the heck to do first.

Additionally, you can gather so much information, that you waste days, months or years gathering and hoarding everything you’ve read.

Now, not only have you wasted time, you become even more confused and can’t keep things straight. Finally after filling your noggin, you get to the point that none of it ever gets put into practice.

At the end of the day, you’re absolutely worn out… and it’s not from being lazy… it’s from working hard gathering all these goodies that you no longer have the energy to really understand what you’ve learned, let alone DO.

As I say, I’ve been there and it’s absolutely frustrating. You look back on your week and wonder ‘what the hell have I been doing?”

Take my advice on this one. If you have an online business and you are feeling discouraged because your just not making tracks…and you feel as though your online business is failing; ask yourself if you’ve actually been putting your nose to the grind and putting the information you have learned into practice. IN other words, how much have you been DOING?

I’d be willing to bet you’ve been working hard… at ‘gathering’ and ‘learning’, but theory doesn’t produce results. Only the practical action will make things happen, put you out on the front line and let the world know you exist.

Here is another side note while on this topic… one that is definitely worth mentioning.

Sometimes by learning all this ‘new’ stuff, you can actually feel more defeated that if you didn’t learn it at all… especially in the beginning.

The reason is that learning new things means you have to actually ‘do’ something you have never done before. Sometimes this is intimidating due to the fact that it is “new” and therefore a new experience.

Naturally there’s going to be a learning curve with any “first crack” at doing something for the first time. If however, you allow your inside voice to talk you out of putting the pedal to the metal and doing what you’ve learned because of lack of experience… you wont actually put anything into action, hence all this ‘learning and gathering’ becomes a scape goat to continuously procrastinate!

As I say, I know. Been there, done that.

So here’s the message I want to leave you with. “Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can” – regardless of how ‘basic’ it might feel.

Second, don’t be nosey, mind your own business, not what everyone else is doing.

Don’t over learn. Start with the basics; take a couple of steps daily. (More if you can).

If you need help staying on track, make a list. If the list isn’t clear… or none of it’s clear because you’ve gotten yourself into such a tizzy, consider finding a coach.

This way, you’ll be able to plan a strategy and you’ll have someone to be accountable to. I know it helps. Call me for info if you need a hand.

In the meantime, don’t clutter your mind with things you’re just not ready for. There are literally hundreds of new courses, tips, techniques, so called new secrets coming out every hour on the hour and everybody has their own opinion.

Put your blinders on and make a start. Some of the most successful marketers I know don’t use half the bells and whistles that are out there and just knock the ball out of the park.

You don’t have to be a rocket scientist; you don’t have to keep a library of courses. Basic is good. Anyone can succeed by rolling up their sleeves and getting down to taking action. Over-thinking and analysis paralysis is why a good portion of that 97% fail.

As my coach says ‘you don’t have to get it right, you just have to get it going.

Getting going is the only way you’ll get your online business off the ground. (Did you catch you don’t have to be perfect either?)

Feel free to contact me if you need help with your online business. I know what it’s like going in circles.

Photo credit: Seeka

Tanisha Ajokatchert February 13, 2012 at 9:34 pm

well i realized that nothing works unless you work it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeane January 17, 2012 at 12:33 am

That was really gold mine article. Strategics for starting an online business is vital for planning and the outcome of your dream business. Got a handful of tips and learning here. Learn from others mistakes and develop a strategy to combat and avoid any of that. Must share post.

Sandra October 19, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Wonderful! I really love your site hear. I am looking forward to reading all your other post. Thanks! What a delightful reading. :D

gold October 11, 2011 at 3:44 am

There is one saying “Only quitters failed”. When we feel our business is almost falling, we must not think of quitting, instead let this be our strength to face the reality and think of brilliant ideas or strategy how to overcome this problem.

Charles Holmes October 1, 2011 at 8:44 am

Great post here. You are so true. Most people don’t fail in this industry; they quit! And although that sometimes gives our industry a bad rapp, it’s still the best way to make money.

The internet is so powerful and can literally change your life, if you are willing to do the work!

Another thing you mentioned was information overload. I think that’s a big dream killer. It’s better just to have one mentor and learn from them, rather than buying every course, reading every blog and chasing every new idea.

Great blog and great post.

Chuck

Easther Sudharta September 21, 2011 at 3:48 am

coudn’t agree with your more. To be truly successful in network marketing you need to learn the ropes from start to finish with a single, legitimate and profitable program. If you’re constantly changing products or promoting multiple products at once you’re not creating the kind of personal expertise that can potentially make you a small fortune later on. Find a program and promote it until you’ve reached the ceiling and then promote it some more. Then and only then are you close to being ready to promote another program.

all the best
Easther

Jayne Kopp September 21, 2011 at 11:51 am

HI Easther, I agree that it’s not a great plan to jump around from venture to venture for sure.

The most important thing is to stick to focusing on one thing and learning one technique…. then taking ACTION. So many people try to absorb more and more… and at the end of it all, they have not actually lifted a finger.

Thanks for commenting.

Ian Belanger September 20, 2011 at 11:42 am

Great post! Learning is good, as long as you don’t spend all of your time doing it. You are so right, you must take what you have learned and as nike says “Just Do It!”

You should be spending at least 50% of your time online doing money making activities, like writing articles or making videos, not watching videos and reading sales pages.

Believe me, there is no get rich quick, one click software out there. I have tried them and if there was a way to do it. I would have created the software myself.

If you take more action and learn less, you will be much closer to reaching your goals.

Thanks for sharing Jayne and have a great day!

Jayne Kopp September 21, 2011 at 11:53 am

HI Ian, you hit the nail on the head. “as long as you don’t spend all your time doing it”

It is an easy trap to fall into for sure.. never mind the fact that there are always things flying at you about what you ‘must have’… after a while you don’t even know ‘what’ to do and freeze up.

It doesn’t surprise me that if there was a way to get rich quick that you would have certainly figured out the new cool tool!! If you do have a brainwave, I’ll be your first customer!!

Marcus September 19, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Jayne, you are so right. Many people quit before they even get started. The key is not to let life, fears, overwhelm, lack of knowledge, or anything else stop you.

Jayne Kopp September 21, 2011 at 11:55 am

HI Marcus, lovely to meet you.

As you say, we should try not to get overwhelmed and learn to focus on just one or two things at a time. Ear muffs work well too!

The sooner we take action, the better.

Thanks so much for stopping by. It’s a pleasure to meet you. I’ll pop over to have a look at you.

Adrienne September 19, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Great post Jayne and from someone who has been there and done that!

You are right, most people are overwhelmed when they are first getting started and really are into information overload right from the start. I know that for me, I wanted to have enough information under my belt so I would at least feel like I knew what I was doing instead of just jumping right in so I know how a lot of people feel. But at some point and time you just have to get your feet wet. We all learn from experience which is why we make mistakes. As long as we learn from those then we can keep moving forward.

I did learn that a lot of people quit which is why that statistic is so high. It’s not that they necessarily failed, they just didn’t take immediate consistent action and they got frustrated and quit. Or they ran out of money, whichever came first.

Thanks for sharing this post Jayne and I enjoyed reading through the comments. To see how others felt about this topic as well. We’ve all been there so we can all relate.

Have a great week Jayne.

Adrienne

Jayne Kopp September 21, 2011 at 11:56 am

HI Adrienne, I am sure we all venture into the trying to learn it all mode.

as you say though, jumping in and getting your feet wet and consistently moving forward is the only way to get the ball rolling.

Lovely to see you.

Vilma September 19, 2011 at 12:51 pm

This article made me realized a lot. Thanks for sharing this and made me understand on how to handle things in business.

Jayne Kopp September 28, 2011 at 10:29 pm

You are welcome Vilma, thanks for stopping by. Come back soon!

Janet @ The Natural Networker September 18, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Jayne, aloha. Spoken like someone who has been there, done thought and quite likely owns a t-shirt or two.

Aside from knowing what you want/why you are doing it, taking action CONSISTENTLY is the most important thing for your business.

Perfect is an excuse not to take action. Who defines perfect? if each of your commenters were to tell you the “perfect” way to do __________, most likely you would have as many different answers as you do commenters. While no doubt there would be some overlap, we each see/do things differently.

As far as an online business, for sake of discussion let’s say that when you go to bed tonight you know everything there is to know about online marketing. Tomorrow morning you wake up and even if only 1 new great system is introduced, it could well change how you do things.

Get out there, do it, modify, adjust and keep moving forward. You only fail if you quit./ No action = no results.

Well said, my friend. Best wishes for a terrific week ahead. Until next time, aloha. Janet

Jayne Kopp September 21, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Hello lovely Janet! As you say, everyone has an opinion. I do believe you have to take the ideas that make the most sense… often they are the simple ones, and jump in. Consistency is a huge key to learning the ropes where online business is concerned because even if you consistently take wrong action at first, you are more likely to learn how to tweak it.

If you spend your time learning and thinking, you’re wasting your time. Action does = results – and that is the bottom line.

And.. oh yes, I have a closet full of T-shirts all different colours!

nice to see you Janet.

see ou soon.

Diego September 17, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Hello Jayne. There are 3 reasons why people fail:

1- Not Trying.
2- Trying but not taking action.
3- Taking action but giving up when things get hard.

Jayne Kopp September 28, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Hi Diego, I am so sorry I did not respond. You went to my spam folder which is bizarre… and obviously I did not do a good job of keeping an eye out for that.

Yes Diego, you are so right. When the going get tough… some people scream and run the other way.

points one and two are right as well. I was stuck in the #2 point for a while there some time ago … I was actually over learning and had so many irons in the fire I was overwhelmed. I had to take some time to get things straight and thought through.

I can see you have been taking massive action. Success likes speed!

Keep it up.

Jens P. Berget September 17, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I absolutely agree with you. I’m writing my first novel, and to me writing that novel is just like an online business and what I experienced with blogging. I need to spend a lot of time and work hard to get it right, and it never gets right the first time. The important part is to never give up, not even when I’m struggling. To me, spending a lot of time and never trying to rush it, that’s important. But also taking action, and not just waiting for things to happen. Things don’t just happen, we make them happen. :)

Great article.

Jayne Kopp September 28, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Hi Jens, I am sorry for the late response, your comment got by me and went into my spam… or ‘needs to be approved’ folder. ((so sorry)). Lovely to see you in any event.

Often Jens, we don’t get it right but as my coach says, you just have to get it going. That’s the first major step.

Then you have to be a ‘sticker’ as my dad says. I am a sticker and blinking stubborn at that! Sounds like you are too!

We must be ‘involved’ for change to occur.

Lovely to see you. Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by.

A. Leigh Edwards September 17, 2011 at 3:22 pm

It’s so easy to become overwhelmed on the information highway. My motto is to K.I.S.S. …Keep It Simple Stupendous! With the recognition that “Rome wasn’t built in a day,” learn the basics, apply what you need, release the rest. As you progress forward you will be able to quickly access what “else” you need to learn and apply in progressive increments. Thanks for sharing this great reminder Jane.

Jayne Kopp September 17, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Hi Leigh, I truly believe that if we can all remember just simply to KISS and continue to remind ourselves as the information and hype flies onto our screens daily, we will continue to avoid the paralyzing over analysis… which as you say is very overwhelming.

The bottom line is, it’s all about the marketing which really is just letting people know we exist.

The internet provides and excellent and huge audience. There is always someone who will be attracted to you… and you only need a handful of people to work with to have a very comfortable living.

thanks for stopping by.

Brock Blohm September 17, 2011 at 9:48 am

“Is your online business failing… or could it be that you’re just not DOING?” You said it all in the first sentence, Jayne!

There is a lot of work that needs to be done in order to truly succeed in the online arena. But, in the end, it will all pay off. I feel that if people knew this upfront, they would be more willing to continue. Most are sold on the idea that you will not have to work much and you will make lots of money – this is true, but it doesn’t happen over night. :)

Jayne Kopp September 28, 2011 at 10:36 pm

HI Brock, I am so sorry for the late response to your wonderful comment.

It got by me… went into the ‘needs approval’ folder… :-( and I didn’t see it until now. ((so sorry))

It’s funny how so many people think working online is a walk in the park. I never have understood that mentality.

Everything worth doing takes work. We have to roll up our sleeves and get it the heck done.

Lovely to see you.

Rachael Slorach September 17, 2011 at 4:42 am

I have heard this statistic quoted before and I really like your take on it – that you only fail if you quit! And you are right – I also think that people don’t necessarily FAIL – they just don’t TRY!

I know from recent experience how paralyzed you can feel starting an online business due to the ‘information overload syndrome’. While it is important to do your research, at some point you really have to stop, think and set a course of action for yourself that takes into account your skills, your values and your goals – NOT those of all the other people and gurus out there!

Trust yourself that you know what you are doing and believe that is you stick to your course of ACTION your rewards are awaiting.

Thanks!

Jayne Kopp September 17, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Yes Rachael, you do have to simply keep yourself on track and use your own gut feeling to do the things that will put you in front of people.

I have been there… more than once w here I have felt there were so many things I needed to do … and didn’t know what to do first… and I just went into a tizzy.

You simply have to pick yourself up, and dust off and get out there.

I think I feel another blog post coming on!

Stay at it my girl. I know you have had ‘inner chatter’ too…. don’t listen to ‘it’… just listen to your nicer voice… because its the one that ‘s right.

Jimmy/Life Architects September 17, 2011 at 3:26 am

I m new here. But have led to you by many great and helpful bloggers out there. I think you are all in the 3% group, which means that I should learn from you guys.

I am aware that one of the key themes duscussed in this post is overlearning and underdoing. Most beginning Internet marketeers just get suck into the content and information spiral. I used to be one of them. Occasionally I still return to this spiral trap.

I have one question that if answered by all the folks here will surely prevent many online businesses from falling into the spiral. The question is: Given all the information presented about Internet businesses online, how can we effectively discern between the right stuff and the wrong stuff? I think that is foremost in the minds of beginners or the 97%. They are not sure so naturally they stockpile till paralysis. I m just thinking how can we help people select materials better. My two cents worth to the discussion.

BTW if you can do drop by my site and view the Hopes and Dreams Fulfilled post. I have started a small challenge to help spread some love and inspiration. Hope you can participate and spread the word to your readers too.

Cheers

Jayne Kopp September 17, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Hi Jimmy, welcome to my blog. I am so pleased to meet you.

To be honest I have been in and out of the 3%… and of course the 3% differs from person to person.

The point is, there comes a time when everything just starts to move upwards… and that comes from not feeling defeated and not allowing yourself to get so overwhelmed with all the thousands of newest, best, greatest and latest things that are deemed ‘must have’…

I would love to visit you at your place and I shall. I am looking forward to getting to know you.

Jayne Kopp September 27, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Hi Jimmy, Oh my goodness, what wonderful video’s you displayed on your blog. It sure does have a way of making one count each and every blessing doesn’t it? I would have left a comment on your blog, but ‘comments’ were not showing up. Do you have them enabled?

Lovely post Jimmy. Thanks.

Marcus Baker September 16, 2011 at 6:49 am

Your advice about keeping it basic and just doing it is the key. People over complicate matters so that they have a good excuse for not taking action.

I have always taught my team to start with step 1 and keep doing it till it works then progress to Step 2. Simple and yet so many can’t do it. They have to complicate it.

When people tel me they have done step 1 and they haven’t got any results I always tell them that one of three answers will apply – either they have not done it enough so get back to it, they are not doing it right so evaluate, change and get going again or they think they’ve taken action but they haven’t because they don’t really wan to and if that’s the case they should stop wasting their and my time. Sounds harsh but let’s stop fooling around after all time is precious and mine is uber valuable.

I still think Nike’s slogan will always be my best – JUST DO IT!

Thanks Jayne. I enjoyed reading your post.

Jayne Kopp September 16, 2011 at 11:28 am

HI Marcus, very true. The over complicate part for sure. I have been guilty of that too. There is a lot of information and a lot to learn. Its best just to do it as you and Nike says. “It’ being basic.

Otherwise you become a professional student. That doesn’t propel you at all.

Lovely to see you.

Melody | Deliberate Receiving September 16, 2011 at 6:17 am

Excellent article! I realized a while back that I had to make time for research, and then I had to just stop and focus on implementing what I felt was right. It was so easy to become overwhelmed by all the techniques. I always use my intuition to choose. One thing I realized is that many of the techniques aren’t bad, they’re just possibly too advanced for someone just starting out. So, I shelved a lot of things for later, when I’m ready. You can’t implement everything at once. But the important thing is, you do have to start implementing. I take the “one thing at a time” approach. That way I never get overwhelmed (well, ok, not NEVER, but close).

Also, I think a lot of people abandon an online business because they somehow got the idea (fueled by unethical marketers, no doubt) that it doesn’t require any work. Starting a business requires work. Even passive income requires work up front. The passive part comes after it’s all set up. Creating great content is work. Marketing and networking is work. Hell, getting a business license, setting up sales and squeeze pages, etc. requires work. The difference is that he investment tends to pay off faster online than in the brick and mortal world and it costs a lot less to get involved. But the sweat equity is the same…

Thanks for publishing this. It should open a few eyes.

Hugs!
Melody

Jayne Kopp September 16, 2011 at 11:34 am

HI Melody, ahh… yes overwhelm. I know her well. ha ha.

There are SO many ways to market and everyone has an idea or a new and improved way. bottom line is, start and get it the hell going. as you say, you can always pull another idea off the shelf when ready.

I also agree that setting up an online business and getting the foundation does take work but as you say it does pay off.

Thanks Melody for coming over.

Heather Stephens September 16, 2011 at 3:56 am

Love your list of tips at the end of your post, Jayne! (loved the post too!)

Here’s the thing I learned about myself, and I see it in the people I work with, it feels too simple to start where we are, with what we have and know, and do what we can. We end up trying to complicate it, make it perfect, massage it ’til death until we’ve lost the confidence to push it out into the world (whatever “it” is…a blog, product, or event.)

The truth, I’ve realized through experiencing successes along the way is that they’re all simple. Every little thing that’s worked and given me results has come from a simple action, and the complicated things I spent so much time on, tweaking and perfecting, were truly just a waste of time.

Thanks for the inspiration today! :)
Hugs,
Heather

Jayne Kopp September 28, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Heather, I am so sorry I missed our smiling face. You went into the ‘needs approval folder’ and I didn’t see you! :-(

Heather, I have been there so many times it is frightening. We make things so complicated and conveluted that we freeze up and do ‘nowt’ as my grandma would say.

Sometimes the simplest things work at as Mike L. says you don’t have to get it right, you just have to get it going!!!

BTW… I have not been back to your blog today… but my weekend is good if you would like to have a quick chat for 20 mins on Skype?? wanna… huh? Huh??

talk soon. (I hope) :-)

Catarina September 16, 2011 at 3:51 am

Agree with you Jayne – actions speak louder than words. And expect to keep on failing over and over until you succeed!

Jayne Kopp September 16, 2011 at 11:31 am

HI Catarina, thanks for coming to leave a comment. and yes ‘actions’ are what makes the difference.

Fred Tracy September 15, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Fantastic article, Jayne. I’m glad I came here. :)

My blog is doing well for being such a young thing, but that’s only because I actually started my first blog a year prior. I learned a lot about the technology and marketplace, and that’s allowed me to do the right things from the very beginning with this one.

Most of the things I do on a daily basis nowadays I do because I know they work. I’ve looked at my data and where my traffic comes from, and so I invest more time into doing those things.

Additionally, I really like making specific, set rules for yourself. When you’re your own boss, it can be hard to actually get yourself going for productivity. That’s why I make sure I write at least one article a day (guest articles etc. included), among other things. Most of those articles aren’t actually for my own site, but they boost traffic like none other.

Like you said, it’s SO important to just ‘do’ something. Whatever you do, pick a time at the end of the week to analyze your data and find out what works and what doesn’t. Then your next week of ‘doing’ will be even better!

Jayne Kopp September 16, 2011 at 11:30 am

Hi Fred. Lovely to see you at my place! You seem very focused. One article per day is awesome.

Working for yourself takes an immense amount of discipline. I can still improve in that area to be honest – but I think recognizing where our focus should be is key.

Thanks so much for your comment and taking the time to pop on over!

Lou Barba@informationhighwaycardandgiftshop.com September 15, 2011 at 6:04 pm

There’s no question that the farmer that doesn’t put seed in the ground won;t have anything to harvest. Sometimes, it’s not exactly what you expect, and sometimes there’s a crop failure, but…that’s farmin’.

Lou

Jayne Kopp September 15, 2011 at 6:19 pm

HI Lou, That is very true. I have sprinkled many seeds. Some have indeed shriveled up and croaked, while others have produced pleasing crops! I think it’s all about not giving up with the things that don’t work the way you expect, and to try to tweak and modify the best you can. Sooner or later the law of compensation kicks in.

Thanks Lou for stopping by.

Radu September 15, 2011 at 11:41 am

I appreciate your last comment on my blog.
Great points here! A business is a business with great advantages like personal satisfaction, time, freedom or money but also with few important requirements: a strong mindset and massive action.

Keeping things simple can help you save a lot of time and energy. As long as you believe in yourself and take action everyday you will succeed without the shadow of a doubt.

Thanks for sharing:) Your post will inspire many people who want to start their own business online.

Radu

Jayne Kopp September 15, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Hi Radu, I could not agree more than mindset has a lot to do with it, as well as mind-control!

What I mean is to use your mind in a positive manner to try to remember to implement as you learn.

The massive action is definitely a huge part of getting the wheels turning. Sadly as explained above, even though the person may be ambitious, they don’t implement action soon enough.

Thanks Radu.

Sally Thompson September 14, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Great article!
Looking forward on your new updates! Keep up the good work..

Jayne Kopp September 15, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Thanks Sally, please do keep your eye on updates! Lovely to see you.

Jayne ;-)

sheila4hastenhome September 14, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Thanks for the great advice. I started my own online business almost a year ago, specializing in original, inspirational Vacation Bible School materials. I tend to be the perfectionist who has to “over-learn” everything, and much like you describe, I really have to push myself to keep taking steps toward building my business as opposed to just learning how to build my business! Mistakes are okay sometimes–we all have learning to do somewhere. I am enjoying the process, slowly building a presence that will hopefully be a blessing to many others in time. :)

Jayne Kopp September 15, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Hi Sheila, thanks so much for coming by.

I agree that perfectionism is also something to avoid which is often different to what we learn growing up.

We are used to hearing to strive for perfection… and while I suppose we still can, it’s best just to get it going!

Peter Fuller MBA September 14, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Hey Jayne

Interesting thought – you cannot fail if you do not take action.

That 3% success rate would then skyrocket with just that one adjustment :)

Peter

Wilson Usman September 15, 2011 at 5:42 pm

You can take all the action you want, but it must be the correct action.

If you’re promoting stuff online that you haven’t tried yourself, you’re going to fail.

If you copy other people’s content you’re going to fail.

By the way Jayne are you part of that 3%?

If you don’t offer valuable content that actually helps people do something that takes them closer to their goals. You’ll fail.

plus another million reasons why people fail.

Jayne Kopp September 15, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Hi Wilson, you have definitely got a point there as far as taking the right action. Many people I have met have truly gathered valuable information and learned a few things. Sadly, regardless as to how simple the tasks are, they don’t stop to actually implement or DO them!

Now I do disagree about promoting stuff on line that you have not tried.

I do a bit of affiliate marketing and while I admit there are many things I have tried, ie: marketing courses and many of the home products, there are a few things I have marketed because I believe in the product and have done my research well and asked those who have. (I research very well) It’s impossible to try everything if you have a great number of sites.

One of my aquaintences markets literally hundreds of products online and is one of the better known teachers on the subject on the internet. With that said he does a ridiculous amount of research and is very particular as to what he markets and promotes.

I do agree you should never copy anybodies content, however that’s not really something that entered my head while writing this post. ;-)

To be honest Wilson, I am in the 3%. I have also been in the 97% too for the reasons I mentioned above. Spent gross amounts of time thinking I was actually working and wondering why the results were not coming.

It was the lifesaving light bulb moment that turned things around. If I had not had the realization I would have still been there and likely gone out to get a day job. ;-)

I will admit I have plain bombed on a few things too, but that’s all part of the learning, even though at the time it doesn’t make you smile!! I expect I will bomb again too on a thing or two, but I know I’ll keep on truckin!

How about you?

There is always a lot to learn, in fact I don’t believe we ever stop learning. The trick is to implement.

and yes, valuable content quenches the thirst of your readers otherwise it’d be pretty lonely typing all to yourself!

Lovely to have your thoughts. I’ll visit you too!

best

Jayne Kopp September 15, 2011 at 6:25 pm

HI Peter, I also believe that if you take action your success rate would absolutely improve rather than no action at all.

As I say, many people are far more capable than they think and they indeed know plenty to get going. Sadly they don’t always think to use what they’ve learned in order to spit polish their skills.

Seen it, done it!