Did You Know Success Has A Thermostat?

by Jayne Kopp on September 23, 2011

success, aim high,

Aim high for Success

I was listening to T. Harv Eker the other day speaking of our internal success thermostat and how it’s often stuck and we never think to fix it.

If you are a person who can’t seem to get ahead in life, it might just be due to your personal success thermostat.

If you’re wondering what the heck I’m talking about, then let me explain:

As you are likely aware, a heat thermostat is something that ‘regulates’ the heat. If the temperature drops, it will cause it to rise to a set level. If the temperature drops, the thermostat will cause it to drop to the same set level.

According to T. Harve Eker, we all have a built in success thermostat too. In other words, we have a limitation on our success depending on where we have our ‘setting’.

Our success level is based on our own internal ‘feelings, belief systems or a better way of saying it is our internal programming.

Throughout life, our level of success will sometimes rise, sometimes drop… but more often than not we will find ourselves eventually right back in the middle.

This is because, whether you realize it or not, you always return to your subconscious ‘chosen point’ where some hover their whole life.

No matter how hard we work on our success… or not…or no matter how hard we try to change for the better the success thermostat will stick pretty close to our ingrained settings.

Now if this has caused you to wonder, with this being the case, if it’s even worth setting goals or aiming high …. the short answer is: It is.

If you are not pleased with your current level of success and you really want to improve results and make changes for the better, the solution is simple. Turn the heat up! That’s it.

If I’m still not clear, you will simply have to start ‘thinking’ differently and set your personal expectations higher than they have ever been.

Your internal success settings are ones that are all based on your own programming and belief system. I’m not saying that your beliefs are necessarily “limiting beliefs” either, they are just beliefs that have over the years naturally become part of your make up or thinking.

In other words, it’s the programming you have likely had since you were born that keeps you stuck in the same place.. never expecting anything more than what you’re already getting, and not necessarily expecting much less.

For example, if you grew up with parents who continuously struggled and repeatedly either told you, or gave you the belief that life is a struggle, that there is always a shortage of money, then you are going to believe that you may always have to ‘struggle’ for money.

The result has likely been that you have never set your expectations any higher than knowing that life will always be a grind.

You may find that you always just have enough to get by and pinch pennies like a vice grip.

Occasionally there may have been times where you started to build a ‘decent’ float in your bank account…. then… all of a sudden your roof sprung a leak and *Poof* your back account goes back down to the regular pittance again.

In other words, your financial thermostat or personal set point has always hovered around the same place. It may never sink too far down… but will certainly never rise too far above.

Additionally, if you If you are one of those people who feels or more accurately “have told yourself” that ‘having money’ is a bad thing, and you tell yourself that you ‘just need enough to get by’ … then you will always likely have just enough to get by… but no more.

So what are you to do to achieve success and change for the better??

Well again, in the discussion (I’ve heard this many times before) that your internal set point is like software. The software can only do what it is written to do. In order to get that software upgraded, it needs additional modification … or upgrading.

When looking at your own “hard drive:, you have to realize that you to need modification and if you don’t like where you are at, you need to start making changes and modifying your belief system to get further ahead. Then get serious about success!

You have to start believing that you can aim high and reach for the stars. You have to believe that you can actually pluck that star out of the sky. Then you have to start working towards doing so.

After all, if you don’t like your situation, and you are not satisfied with life you have to start making a change, and stop attracting more of what you’re already getting. (It’s no good keeping on doing what ‘aint’ working!)

As an example, I’ll share a bit of my story.

When I was young my dad was a huge proponent of being an entrepreneur. He always impressed upon me the fact that I could do and achieve anything in life.

He did tell me I would have to invest time and attention, in some cases money… but he never looked at that as a ‘bad’ thing. I just understood that I just needed to get ‘the job done’.

As a result, when I was about 13 or 14 we went to an “Own Your Own Business” seminar and I purchased for only a few thousand dollars (My dad lent me some money) a little tiny gold stamping press to print gold or silver impressions on prestige business cards or wedding napkins.

I worked this business like crazy after school and hooked up with some pretty decent accounts; Realtors, a successful cluster Amway marketers, and also attracted a few wedding customers either personally or through local florists.

Though there were other printers in town who sold similar products, I never for one moment thought that I couldn’t make a go of it.

After a while, I sold the little business and had a nice little float in my bank account.

I then decided to market wicker and rattan products (we’re talking back in the ‘80s when it was the full- on fad.

By this time I had my drivers license and along the way had bought a little truck. I called my company “Wicker on Wheels” and went to peoples houses and threw home parties. I did quite well there too.

I then sold my wicker off and had a couple of part time jobs and decided to purchase a house. By now I was 18.

All my friends and some family (not my mom or dad) thought ‘yea right… she’ll never manage”.

Now I will admit it was a huge leap because I really didn’t qualify for a mortgage, but still I kept on trucking! I simply stayed focused on purchasing my house and saved like a mad woman never taking my eyes of the possibility.

The thing is thought I didn’t worry about it. I never for a moment thought there was anything unachievable. I just ‘knew I would do it.

In November of 1983 I had my first home and friends were gob smacked!

Through the years I met my husband and we decided to start a business in the industrial equipment industry.

Both my financial thermostat and my husband’s financial set points were a perfect match.

We just figured out how to get the seed money together through saving and hard work and we went ahead and started our business. For the first year he quit his job and I kept mine, while he worked at the business. I helped with the paperwork and marketing after I finished my day job.

After one year… one fine evening at dinner time, we just decided (spur of the moment) that I would quit my job and go and work with him full time because, as we expected were busier now and had a few accounts.

We just thought that if we both focused on our business it would grow. We never thought any less… and just went ahead and jumped right on in.

The business continued to grow like wildfire… but this surprised neither of us. We ‘knew’ it would.

Unfortunately after about 15 years things ‘went sideways’ marriage wise, and I found myself on my own. That is when I decided to work online.

There are a few details here, but bottom line is I hooked up to market my personal development business.

Though I knew absolutely NOTHING about starting my own internet business, I didn’t let it stop me.

I knew that common sense had to prevail and I was going to have to get started and work things through…. So I did.

I kid you not after taking a little time to learn a couple of techniques, I immediately jumped in and started marketing. Literally 10 hours after putting up my first campaign I had attracted two new partners.

Now I will say that during this time I was under quite a lot of emotional stress due to my personal situation and my former husband wasn’t helping.

He said a few things to me that really blew my morale and for whatever reason I let the poison seep into my program which blew my financial thermostat for a while. (More like took a hammer to it!)

After that, for about a year I struggled because I didn’t have the expectation that I had originally. It was a tough go.

One morning I woke up and thought “what the heck?” “Why am I not performing how I am meant to perform?” My programming wasn’t gelling with my hard drive.

After some thought I realized what the ‘problem was” and in that moment I decided to re-write my program.

From that point on things began to work fine glitch free. Nothing externally had changed… but I had changed.

I realized that in order to achieve success in life, either personal success or financial success, if you really want to get ahead and change for the better, you have to start doing something differently and that ‘something’ all has to do with your internal condition and the way you think and perceive things.

In conclusion you need to identify the thoughts or feeling that hold you back and keeping you stuck. Once you have determined where the virus is in your program or believe system, or where the ‘short’ is in our financial thermostat, you then need to intentionally address the problem and re write the program to do what you know is possible.

The bottom line is ANYTHING is possible, but you need to make sure you keep you thermostat calibrated and expect nothing but success. You then need to get back to goal setting and aim high and never allow limiting beliefs or personal beliefs get in the way.

The magnitude of the success you crave doesn’t matter either. It all takes the same effort, so you may as well tweak your goal setting and set your expectations high and just go for the gusto. Thinking small or feeling you will struggle will return those difficult to deal with results.

Thinking big and with confidence will attract positive results.

I know we call it the Law of Attraction but programming your thermostat for personal success or financial success isn’t rocket science. There’s no magic in the law of attraction and there’s no secret behind the secret.

It’s a matter of knowing… and once you tell yourself you can… you will and it really isn’t difficult.

I’ve been able to help a number of people reset their financial set point, reach goals and get on the way of personal satisfaction since I started coaching about a year ago now.

If you’re stuck in a rut and need some help with your internal programming and you don’t feel to be achieving success no matter what you do, ….contact me at any time and let’s get your thermostat to where it needs to be.

Hamish October 17, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Great post – and a fascinating story. Thanks for sharing it.

Thinking back on my own experience, I think that you may be on to something. I need to set my thermostat a little higher from now on.

I think I shall be back for some more information in future.

ioan October 6, 2011 at 11:46 pm

Hi Jayne, this article is interesting to read. You motivated people by sharing your personal story, it gives a lot of good ideas to reach our goals. Hope my thermostat is set high for success. Thanks for sharing your inspiring story God bless.

Natalie Peace October 1, 2011 at 9:21 am

I love, love, love this post Jayne! Reading about your journey as an entrepreneur inspiring… and I totally relate – my parents helped set me up for success as an entrepreneur, so I always believed I would be successful at business. But for other things in life, I’ve had to re-set my internal thermostat, so to speak, to match my mindset with what I wanted most.
In every moment, we are choosing our thoughts… when you get in the habit of questioning your negative thoughts and beliefs, some pretty amazing things can happen :)

Oliver Tausend September 30, 2011 at 10:06 pm

good stuff and I love your word pictures – such as the thermostat and the software upgrade that is necessary. And just like upgrading software, the upgrade of our internal programming doesn’t always run smoothly because our protective and conditioned mind doesn’t like upgrades.

Unfortunately, many people are thermometers so they always show the temperature outside. If the economy is bad, they’re in bad mood too. If the economy is hot, they’re hot too. Wouldn’t it be great to be an economic thermostat instead that’s independent from outside conditions ?

I admire your entrepreneurial career, very impressive.

Keep growing !

Be blessed

Ian Belanger September 29, 2011 at 8:37 am

If you don’t know where you are going, how will you ever get there. Having the belief in your own abilities is more than half the battle. Setting your sites high is the only way to achieve what you want to achieve. And ignoring the naysayers will help you keep your positive mindset.

Thanks for sharing your story Jayne and have a great day!

Lou Barba@informationhighwaycardandgiftshop.com September 29, 2011 at 7:59 am

I’ve always had the feeling that my cars knew when there was any room left on my credit cards. They were considerate enough to wait until then to break down, so I could max them out again!.

You’re right that we become conditioned to these kinds of situations. I kind of feel like, at my age, a lack of concern about bills ain’t gonna happen till I get to heaven.

Lou

Peppy | The PeppyWrites Chronicles September 28, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Hello Jayne!

I’m trying to play catch-up with my favorite blog stops … I really liked the points you made in this post!

You have given me some things to think about – I think my thermostat has dipped lately without my even being aware of it.

Jayne, when I read your articles I can almost feel your energy… the inner drive your father nurtured comes through loud and clear. That is so neat how your father reinforced a “you can do it” attitude in you – and cool what you did as a 14 year old entrepreneur!

May I ask what you do when life brings up issues that must be addressed – yet, you have blog posts to write, projects to finish, etc.? How do you maintain a consistent “thermo setting” then?

It’s great to be able to drop in and read just what I need … you helped me see I have to turn up the heat – oh boy!

I hope you’re doing well – been thinking of you!

Peppy

Jayne Kopp September 28, 2011 at 10:19 pm

HI Peppy, how wonderful to see you! did you get my email btw?

in an event I am so pleased you dropped by to leave such a fantastic comment.

I am very lucky my Dad was so driven and taught me to be the same way. I am hoping to instill that in my kids too.

My mom is great too, she has always stood behind me 100%

As far as keeping my thermostat where it should be, I must admit sometimes it is difficult. I have a few ongoing challenges to contend with (hopefully will come to a close before too long) but they can really bring anyone down.

then of course with being so busy with my kids… it often can take me away from focusing.

What it boils down to though is self talk and getting rest! If I am tired I can feel less than optimal. Like today, I felt like I was pulling a grand piano all day long.

I just remind myself that I am being silly and just need to get back on the proverbial horse. I have to remind myself to get back on track… and if I need a day to sit and think and plan, I make sure I listen to some of my favorite speakers while doing so … before too long I am revved and ready! :-)

I’ll see you soon Peppy. Stay strong my girl and keep laughing!

Steve Nicholas September 28, 2011 at 10:44 am

Great post, Jayne! You are so right about the need to focus on the thermostat. How many professional athletes make millions of dollars and throw their money away on fancy cars and end up being broke by the time they are 30? Even Jim Rohn made it to a million dollars by age 31, and he was broke again by age 33 because of frivolous spending and bad investments. I know that there have been times that my wife and I went through money at way too fast a pace, so we have talked about it, and now we are on a smarter plan. Of course, if you don’t have that plan, you’ll eventually get somewhere, just not where you want to go.

Jayne Kopp September 28, 2011 at 10:21 pm

HI Steve, I was just thinking about you and felt you must have had your hands full lately. In fact I was planning on dropping by your blog to see what’s bin shaking!

YOu share some prime examples of uncalibrated thermostats above. That’s exactly what I’m talking about. How things go up and often come right back down… and vice versa.

I am glad you addressed your personal issues with your lovely wife and that you were able to recognize the need for a tweak! That’s smart communication.

Lovely to see you Steve.

Diego Ortiz September 28, 2011 at 12:34 am

Hey there Jayne, enlightening like always, loved the post, and I gotta say, my thermostat broke a looooong time ago when it reached the stars ;-) . And I’ve been sharing my success ever since.

jewel September 27, 2011 at 11:49 am

This makes a lot of sense too. It’s like looking at the law of attraction from a different perspective..Keep up the good work..

Radu September 27, 2011 at 10:40 am

Wonderful post here.
Coincidence or not, I just started these days the book called “Secrets of the millionaire mind” by the same Harv Ecker :)
We have a blueprint for everything: money, success, relationships and so on. I had a negative self programming and environment influence that kept my thermostat at a low level. But in the last period of time I worked on my limiting beliefs and replaced them with others, more empowering ones. The results are visible and encouraging .
The thermostat is programmed everyday with every thought, word or action. That’s why it’s more effective for us to be aware all the time and choose to put in our “mental box” only positive stuff.

Harv Ecker has a lot of seminars and coaching programs on this topic. I’m gonna study them after I finish the book.
Thanks for sharing these great insights and your personal story. I like your entrepreneurial spirit :)

Radu

Jayne Kopp September 27, 2011 at 12:38 pm

HI Radu – how wonderful that you are reading T. Harv Ekers books. They are such common sense lessons that he teaches.

You got it right when you say you have to put positive thoughts into your ‘mental box’ and it really is an ongoing process.

lovely to see you Radu. Thanks for the kind words.

Catarina September 27, 2011 at 4:51 am

Good analogy Jayne. Hope my thermostat is set high for success:-) So far it has been.

Jayne Kopp September 27, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Hi Catarina, it seems to me like your thermostat has been set on ‘knock em out’ for quite some time! :-)

Keep it up. You are an amazing writer.

Stacy September 26, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I love your visual of the thermostat! I know that I need to turn up the heat! I think that we should always aim at turning up the heat so that we can always be in a state of growth.

I really appreciate you sharing your own personal story, it’s very motivating and inspiring! One of the great things about your blog is how much of you that you put into it!

Thank you so much!

Jayne Kopp September 27, 2011 at 12:41 pm

HI Stacy, thanks so much for the lovely compliments.

We all need to constantly keep turning the knob on our thermostats. I find that once it becomes habit it helps in all areas of life, even during times of struggle.

Louis Savalli September 26, 2011 at 10:41 am

Hi Jayne- just found you on Fred Tracy’s blog. This post eerily aligns with my recent post entitled “The Energy of Success” – the link to it is here: http://www.sunrisesoul.com/2011/09/the-energy-of-success/

Fred Tracy September 26, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Sweet. I brought him here, Jayne.

Brownie points…

:D

Jayne Kopp September 26, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Oh Fred my almost favorite person…. mmmmuuuuaaaah. That’d be a big wet one right on the kisser.

Your brownie point bell just never stops dinging. (is that ringing in my ears bothering anyone?)

Keep on sendin em Fred my man! The waters nice over here.

Jayne Kopp September 26, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Hi Louis, lovely to meet you. I can’t wait to read your post. Glad to see you are on the same page then it seems! Will head on over to you as soon as I have taken the kids to their activities! Thanks so much for stopping over!! :-)

Angela C. September 26, 2011 at 8:58 am

This is a fabulous article with tons of wisdom and thought-provoking ideas. The illustration of the thermostat makes things so clear. And I couldn’t agree more that our internal wiring or “programming” determines how we live life… Our limitations, the extent of our vision, our goals and dreams. I love the way you explained this and I will likely be borrowing this analogy in the future!

Angela :)

Jayne Kopp September 27, 2011 at 12:42 pm

HI Angela, thanks so much for coming by to drop a comment. Lovely to meet you by the way.

Please borrow the analogy whenever you see fit! ;-)

Andy September 26, 2011 at 12:37 am

Hi Jayne!
First of all – catchy title and interesring comparison. It’s always interesting to read something with metaphorical sense)) And I’m glad you had such a support as your dad. Parents should always motivate their children to aim higher than they are. It’s crucial for success.

Jayne Kopp September 27, 2011 at 12:43 pm

HI Andy thanks for coming by the leave a comment. Yes parents should do their best to program their children for success. I do my best even now and they are only 7 & 8. I think down the road you find they glean more than you realize at the time.

Pj Zafra September 25, 2011 at 9:44 am

This is a really good post! I like on how your view is unique and very inspirational. It’s basically feeding more fuel to your fire. I love it! Great concept and keep it up! :D

Jayne Kopp September 27, 2011 at 12:44 pm

HI PJ, lovely to meet you. I have seen you drift by in the groups!

I do believe the thermostat analogy is a great one. We need to keep turning it up to keep our fire burning no matter what we do. It sure has a way of helping in all areas of life.

Easther September 23, 2011 at 7:22 pm

This has been a wonderful read, I guess we should all make it a point to raise the part where we hover our whole lives so we can be at our most successful.

Jayne Kopp September 27, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Hi Easther, thanks for the nice compliment. We definitely should make a point to raise the ‘thermostat’ at all times. It is an ongoing process but it sure pays dividends.

Thanks for stopping by.

Jayne Kopp September 23, 2011 at 5:42 pm

HI Fred, yes we are a complicated mass of wires aren’t we. Some good, some not so good. We have a thermostat for success, health, mood, emotion…. it’d be nice if we could keep them all in check! LOL

I does make a lot of sense though doesn’t it? It is like the law of attraction, but I think it’s more just a natural law of the way it is!

Lovely to see you Fred. How on earth did you arrive so quickly after I pressed publish? :-)

see you soon

Fred Tracy September 23, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Great article Jayne!

This makes a lot of sense too. It’s like looking at the law of attraction from a different perspective – I like it.

We have so many “internal thermostats” for so many different things. We as human beings are essentially a cluster of those thermostats. I suppose the hard part lies in learning how to amp them up, but once we do, watch out!

Jayne Kopp September 23, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Jayne Kopp September 23, 2011 at 5:42 pm [edit]

see you soon

Fred Tracy September 24, 2011 at 11:26 am

I’m a fan of your blog now! And when I’m a fan, I spend all day clicking the refresh button, hoping to see something new. I must’ve clicked refresh about 500 times before you posted this!

Haha.. I think that would count as virtual stalking. Actually I saw a little (1) pop up next to your name on my Google reader. Serendipity!

Jayne Kopp September 24, 2011 at 6:45 pm

HI Fred, I kinda thought that one we met, I would capture your attention and you would spend your days pining for my next post. After all, I know you have nothing better to do than wait for me to share my wisdom! LOL

**smart ass** ;-)

see you soon! I’ll try to be quick so as not to keep you waiting!