Your Own Business | Your Big Why and Your Purpose

by Jayne Kopp on October 3, 2011

Your why, your passion, your purpose

If you currently have your own business, particularly an online business, you may have heard people referring to ‘your big why’ in other words, your ‘reasons for starting a business in the first place.

To be honest when I first looked into starting an online business, I didn’t really address my big why very closely at all. I just wanted to find an alternate way of earning since I had sold off my ‘offline business’ and was now a stay at home mom.

It wasn’t until someone asked me ‘what is your big why?’ that I really began to look closely at the reason for doing what I was doing.

Of course I still wanted to earn an income… but there was more to it.

When I really drilled down to the root cause that got me off my proverbial backside to start making tracks it all boiled down to creating a great lifestyle primarily for my children.

I wanted nothing more than to be able to provide them with whimsical childhood memories…and I wanted to be there for every moment enjoying their growth and experiences first hand. I didn’t want to be married to a job with set hours that would force me to miss out on a multitude of ‘firsts’. I wanted to be in full control and never regret not being there when I looked back years down the road… (As many do)

Now your big why might be different from mine… and that’s OK. Perhaps you simply want to break free of the rat race and fire your boss. Maybe you want more time to travel and simply be the controller of your own destiny. Perhaps you want to buy a house or have the ability to drive a nice vehicle and just simply enjoy life as you deserve to do.

At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter what your big why is… as long as you know what it is and that it is important enough for you to get started, progress and continue working towards your goals.

Now funnily, a week or so ago, I was sharing my business with a coaching client. We were discussing her big why, which btw was similar to mine.

As the conversation progressed, and we were determining her target market, it occurred to me that during this exercise it is also important to determine or discover your purpose… and that your purpose is actually different from your why.

As we discussed her plan of attack, I thought I would ask her what her purpose was. In other words what was her mission in conjunction to her business?

At first she didn’t quite ‘get’ where I was coming from… so I explained to her what I meant and I’ll share it with you to see if you agree:

Your Big Why & Discovering Your Purpose

As mentioned, my big why is firmly in place, but when I go out to attract others, I do so with the intention of helping them get the wheels turning to start a business and improve.

My purpose is to empower and to help them overcome limiting beliefs and the road blocks that have held them captive. I’m all about encouraging as many people as possible to step out to achieve, be happy and create the life changes they have always wanted to make.

I’m not talking ‘everyone’ either. Some people just aren’t cut out for being an entrepreneur, but there are those who are… but they’re just stuck and need a helping hand and a gentle push in the right direction.

If you’re remotely familiar with who I am, you will already know that my message has always been about living in the moment and taking control of life, and that life really is too short not to.

It both drives me nuts and saddens me that so many spend their whole life “over thinking” things” yet never DO what their heart desires.

So often, too many people end up looking back years later… or even at the end of their run on this planet “wishing” they would have done something fulfilling when the opportunities presented themselves instead of letting time fly and tick away.

I do believe that discovering my purpose was a gradual transition though. It didn’t occur all at once in fact it took me a while to realize and be very clear about who I hoped to reach out to … and ‘what’ my message would be.

I also firmly I believe it came as a result of personal growth and some unfortunate experiences such as losing dear friends who had been taken well before their time; who in some cases had missed opportunities to do a few things they had always wanted to do.

I’m not saying I’m Mother Theresa by any stretch, but I truly did discover my passion and develop a genuine desire to reach out to help, rather than plug away solely to earn.

I can always remember one of my mentors saying that a successful business isn’t about us… it’s about who we help in the process. I think that’s another way of saying how important it is to discover your purpose and how it can make a positive impression on the lives of others once you have.

Again, I will admit wholeheartedly that I didn’t buy into that at first and it isn’t because I’m selfish. I am actually not… I just didn’t realize the importance … and the penny didn’t really drop until I heard Zig Ziglar say:

“You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want”.

I feel the sooner you get your head around this truism, the faster you will discover your purpose and how it will help finding your passion while you’re at it.

Laying the foundation of your business becomes more enjoyable and planning to reach your desired end result is easier and more fulfilling.

What are your thoughts? What is your big why… and what is your purpose or your mission statement for your own business? Have you discovered your passion while running your business?

Please leave me your thoughts and if your find value in what I have written, please share it on your social networks.

Akos Fintor October 28, 2011 at 12:38 pm

As I was going through Tony Robbins’s Personal Power Audio program yesterday he elaborates on “why” we do the things we do. He says the “why” is the driven force behind our action and if we don’t have strong enough “whys” we will not follow through or give up when challenges arise.
We gotta have a hell of a good reason for going after our dreams!

Liked the post!

Ian Belanger October 17, 2011 at 8:33 am

Great post! My why would have to be, well I want to be financially comfortable and be able to teach others to do so, mainly my friends. I see so many people struggling to make it and hating the job they have.

I want to be able to change that for them and myself. My passion is learning new things. Since I have been working online, about a year, I have taught myself to build websites, write programs and am learning more and more about graphic design each day. I love what I do and that is the first time that I can honestly say that.

People deserve the right to be happy and I want to help them get there.

Thanks for sharing Jayne and have a great day!

Emmanuel Olonade October 12, 2011 at 3:10 am

It’s important to have a clearly defined outlook when going into business and ultimately as you said, most of us do it wrong at the first time of asking. Having a “big why” is really important. It helps us focus on what really matters.

My “big why” has always been that I don’t want to answer to any boss when I leave uni. The corporate world is not one of the things I like.

Thanks for the well though-out post Jayne,

Have A Lovely Day!
Emmanuel Olonade

Jayne Kopp October 16, 2011 at 4:11 pm

HI Emmanuel, thanks so much for stopping by. I am glad you have defined your Big Why. It sure helps you to continue to move forward when you know the reason you are doing the work in the first place.

Lovely to see you!

Brock Blohm October 11, 2011 at 9:40 am

You are right, Jayne. The why is crucial!

It was only a short time a go when I asked myself this question. It makes you think, that’s for sure. No I tell everybody that is venturing out to start their own business is to work on their ‘why’. I wish I was told this in the beginning, this would have mad things much, MUCH easier.
Hindsight is 20/20, I guess.

Thanks for the reminder :)

Jayne Kopp October 11, 2011 at 10:21 am

Hello Brock. Well, I am glad that you did realize the need for acknowledging your ‘why’ as it really does put the fuel on your fire doesn’t it.

As I said, it really doesn’t matter ‘what it is’ either as long as it is meaningful to you.

You seem like such a free spirit and I know you will achieve success based on your why now it’s become clearer.

Thanks so much for stopping by.

Stacy October 8, 2011 at 11:12 am

Thanks for another great post! That Zig Zigglar quote is similar to an afformation that I’ve been using: “Why does having what I want help others get what they want?”

It really is something that is helpful to meditate on. Getting rich is really not a big enough why and deep down most of us really do want to be a part of something larger than ourselves more that we want money. Having money is a vehicle to help us get what we really want but it isn’t what we want.

I’ve been thinking a lot about my why lately and making some tweaks. It’s a process!

Take care,

Jayne Kopp October 11, 2011 at 10:19 am

HI Stacy, yes it is a process actually. We need time to think about the root of what is important.

You are so inspiring and I know your why is similar to mine. I agree that money is not the B-all and End-all but it sure helps.

Another Quote I love from Zig Ziglar (who I love by the way) is “money is relatively close to Oxygen on the ‘gotta have it’ scale” LOL but it is just a necessity of life to provide the things we need to survive. It definitely doesn’t provide the emotional satisfaction that I believe we all work towards.

Lovey to see you bright shiny face!
\Jayne

Radu October 8, 2011 at 9:33 am

Great point here. It’s available in any type of business or activity.
The “why” is the foundation..curious thing..it’s always related to contribution-helping others, creating a legacy, investing energy in a higher cause. Jonathan Budd had a video about this… the most powerful type of happiness comes from your “why”.

Your purpose is a noble one: helping “blind” people to see within themselves that tremendous potential.
As for me..my mission is to assist and inspire as many people as possible to create abundance in their lives: financially through a online network marketing business but also to become real leaders who live with passion, gratitude and love.

Meditate on your purpose as often as possible: here you will find the inspiration and power to create whatever you choose.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts,
Radu

Jayne Kopp October 11, 2011 at 10:17 am

HI Radu, I can see you have put thought into all the aspects of doing what you do.

You are definitely doing a good job Radu. Very inspirational for sure! ;-)

Dev October 8, 2011 at 1:50 am

Awesome post, as always.

I love the quote – “a successful business isn’t about us… it’s about who we help in the process”.

My big why is helping others in succeeding their online business and solving common problems (by creating startups).

Thanks for sharing this quality post with us. Keep up the rocking work, Jayne!

Jayne Kopp October 11, 2011 at 10:16 am

Hello my fave smart guy!

You do a wonderful job helping others reach their goals. This will pay off big time particularly when you have your own family down the road. You will look back and be so glad you had the intelligence to do the things you do so well at such a young age.

You are an inspiration!

Easther October 7, 2011 at 5:45 pm

My BIG why is that i don’t want work for someone else and help others do the same, help them to succeed.

Jayne Kopp October 11, 2011 at 10:14 am

Hi Easther, I’m with you on both of these counts! I have worked for myself for so long now… I couldn’t go back! ;-)

and as you say, helping others break free is a wonderful reward.

Alan Cheng October 6, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Hi Jayne. I started my own biz a few years ago and it is tough. Very worrying especially when you don’t see the money coming in :-(

Anyway, I’m glad I made the decision because it’s what I enjoy doing. I actually look forward to getting out of bed, checking emails, blogging, creating products, talking to clients etc…

The cool thing is of course…family. I get to spend much more time with them. Priceless!

Jayne Kopp October 11, 2011 at 10:13 am

HI Alan, I agree. Working for yourself is awesome and especially as you say to be able to spend time with loved ones instead of in a cubicle or warehouse working for someone else.

… and … yes… it is a bit painful at first until the ball starts rolling but after you are over the ‘hump’ it becomes so worthwhile. As I say… the “Law of Compensation” starts to kick in and all your efforts are coming to fruition.

Lovely to see you Alan.

Joyce Oladipo October 6, 2011 at 3:10 pm

My big why is to give people permission to succeed. If people see me do my thing and make money, they would want to follow there dream. I want the freedom to live on my terms.

If i can make a difference in someone’s life then life it worth it.

Jayne Kopp October 11, 2011 at 10:12 am

Joyce, that is an excellent ‘big why’… in fact we are similar in that regard.

I agree wholeheartedly that there is nothing more rewarding than to help someone see the light and discover their own personal power.

Lovely to see you Joyce. You are an absolute pleasure to rub shoulders with! (so to speak!) ;-)

Angela C. October 6, 2011 at 10:37 am

My purpose is similar to yours Jayne. I don’t want to miss out when my husband and I start a family. I want to set myself up as much as possible to have control over my schedule. I also want to make a difference in people’s lives. I have worked in industries that I didn’t feel passionate about and went to bed at night feeling like my days didn’t matter. I can’t live like that. Thanks for your constant inspiration!
Angela :)

Jayne Kopp October 6, 2011 at 12:53 pm

HI Angela, I admire your pre planning in this area. I may have also pre planned… had my kids been planned! :-) Both were huge surprises and might I add, the best surprises I could have ever asked for… even though I was in shock.

Just look though how much value and love, and meaning and meaning they have added to my life. I can guarantee you my ‘why’ and purpose would have been much different… as would my actions and direction to be honest!

Glad you enjoyed the post. I totally get where you are coming from too when you said you didn’t feel passionate and the end of the day felt meaningless.

I promise you… even though you don’t feel like that now… you will feel life has even more meaning once those bambino’s show their beautiful faces. :-)

Marcus Baker October 6, 2011 at 3:56 am

Hi Jane,

I believe we all have a purpose that we are here to fulfil. I also believe that our purpose can be realized in one or more of a few contexts; through a job, business, hobby, relationships…

It’s often not what we are actually doing but how we are doing it that defines our purpose.

Do what makes your heart sing, dance and cartwheel for the sheer joy of it is great advice in my opinion.

If you are going to have a business then know why you do what you do and it had better be for a lot more than making money.

Today, Steve Jobs (Apple) passed over. I was reading a newspaper report about all his many accomplishments which of course are impressive to say the least and yet it was the last line in a long article that really indicated his purpose. It read, When asked what Steve cherished most about his life, he said, ‘The opportunity to love my wife and family’.

Jayne Kopp October 6, 2011 at 12:56 pm

HI Marcus, thanks so much for your comment.

I have many things these days that make my heart sing, but unfortunately I need to focus on one at a time. This scatterdness isn’t doing me a scrap of good! :-)

I do feel though that ‘how you do IT” and how it makes you feel are essential.

Regarding Steve Jobs… what an inspirational man… just an iconic person for sure. It is so awesome to know he had his priorities in line. God rest his soul. I am sure he will never be forgotten.

Thanks Marcus.

Steve Nicholas October 5, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Great post, Jayne! My big why is having enough money so that I can teach because I want to, rather than because I have to, because the real money in academia is in research, which I have seen take a lot of professors away from the classroom, and I certainly don’t want that. Some want enough to never have to work again, and that’s okay, but I guess my Protestant ethic won’t let me do that ;-)

Jayne Kopp October 6, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Steve, it’s nice to see you truly enjoy teaching and that obviously is your gift and purpose as well.

Feeling so passionate about teaching is a great why and knowing that you would teach even if you didn’t have to is outstanding.

I have to say that even if I were to win the 50 Million tomorrow, I would have to keep doing what I am doing…. I get where you’re coming from there. ;-)

Melody | Deliberate Receiving October 5, 2011 at 6:38 pm

I like the distinction between the bit why and our purpose. My purpose is really to be an uplifter, to help people discover who they really are and how they can be happy. My big why for my business model is to be completely mobile and be able to truly work from anywhere in the world (almost there, need to move the coaching online). I get inspired when I travel and it’s one of my passions. I love the freedom of it. So an online business, if managed properly, is one of the only ones that allows that within a relatively short amount of time…

Hugs!
Melody

Jayne Kopp October 6, 2011 at 1:01 pm

HI Melody, how’s Idaho? I bet Spain misses you!

Well Melody, you are definitely making your Big Why work as you obviously live in Spain and work by reaching people all over the planet.

Online Coaching is awesome … do you actually do face to face?

I have done very few face to face coaching sessions, mostly mine are over VOIP or Phone.

I agree that an online business is the only model that allows us complete mobility.

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you are enjoying your visit.

Fred Tracy October 4, 2011 at 10:57 am

Great article, Jane.

I really like the quote. Not only is it a feel good thing, but it makes a lot of logical sense.

One of the things that most inspires me about my website is that my “why” is very much wrapped up in my site. Of course I want to make some extra income, but my ultimate goal is to be completely free to do as I wish, and to use my entire life as a huge evolving growth experiment which I can then share with others and help them to better themselves.

I’m so happy to be doing this!

Jayne Kopp October 6, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Hey Fred, that’s a great WHY to have. I am sure you will be living exactly as you wish all wrapped up in your why and service your purpose!

Alison October 4, 2011 at 6:51 am

I love “a successful business isn’t about us… it’s about who we help in the process”…..So true! I believe this is the ultimate achievement, to measure our success via how successful are the people we help to develop. very inspiring post! Alison

Jayne Kopp October 6, 2011 at 1:07 pm

HI Alison, thanks so much for stopping by and I am glad you enjoyed the post. Please drop by again.

Tomek October 4, 2011 at 6:23 am

Hi, Jayne! I have just started my online journey, but for the first time in my life I have a very strong feeling I’m on the right track. My big why is double-fold: doing what I like (researching and sharing with other practical tips on nutritional supplements) and being free from the corporate rat race. I feel so engaged and full of positive energy, that this must be the right direction for me…

Jayne Kopp October 6, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Hey Tomek, thanks so much for stopping by. I am so pleased you feel connected to your why and you are enjoying the ride.

Yes… sometimes you just know that you are on the right track when you have discovered your passion.

Please stop back again.