Why I Chose a Personal Development Business

by Jayne Kopp on October 13, 2011

personal development business

On my last post I talked about all the different things that personal development ‘means to me, so on this post, I’d like to answer the question as to why I built my business around it.

To be honest, I wasn’t ‘looking’ to get into this genre. In fact, I am not really sure what I was looking for at that time. (I don’t really think even I knew)

With that said (and based on my experience) I do believe that if you are open minded, often your subconscious will ‘find’ something you’re lacking.

It’s kind of like when you’re craving orange juice when you’re feeling a bit under the weather, or when your body feels you need pasta fix for that energy boost! (You seem to be drawn to exactly what you need!)

In any event my business opportunity presented itself exactly when it was supposed to and thankfully I had the presence of mind to realize it was just what I needed at the time.

Back then I was on a bit of a ‘downer’ to be honest. I had separated from my husband, I had sold my shares in my offline business and my nerves were shot!

Not a heck of a lot seemed too bright at that time and I desperately needed a ‘pick me up’ in the worst way so I was looking for that ‘special something’ to help me make changes.

Despite feeling miserable, I ‘knew’ that once I got my head stuck into something new it would hopefully take my mind off things and set me off on the right track.

Thankfully I was right… but I didn’t know how right this move actually was.

You see, I have learned since working online, that regardless of the business genre you are in, almost every single internet marketer I know fully embraces the need for personal development and uses it every day.

I am not sure if it’s because most of us work alone from home and we only have our own reflection to view in the mirror at the end of the day and have to rely on our will and determination.

Maybe it’s because when the going gets tough, the tough have to keep on going … and at first… (or even occasionally), it is not easy unless we maintain a positive mindset.

We have to ramp up the personal power to keep ourselves motivated and have to use positive self talk to keep us going when things don’t take off right off the bat.

There are likely so many other reasons too… but I have noticed that it doesn’t seem to matter if people are marketing pet products, weight loss programs or any multitude of multi level marketing business opportunities, … it seems that all of us ‘internet entrepreneurs’ rely heavily on staying positive and inspired.

With that said, you can likely understand why marketing a personal development business was just the ticket for me being that I so desperately needed positive “personal’ change as well as financial change.

Who knew that an ‘online venture’ would have been the answer to both prayers and that I would have found so much support and acceptance from others on the World Wide Web?!

Additionally, I was not aware at the time, but personal development and self growth are amongst the fastest growing trends in the world! Coupled with the fact that home business seekers are on the rise it (it is estimated a new entrepreneurial venture starts in the us ever 8 minutes).. it makes for a wonderful opportunity that offers the best of both worlds.

In other words, I have enjoyed promoting two growing trends for the last few years and regained my zest for life in the process.

The part I have appreciated the most though is the fact that there are so many avenues to branch off into when involved in this industry.

Because I have been able to overcome limiting beliefs and learned to feel ‘alive’ again, by changing my mindset and being open minded enough to recognize the endless possibilities, I have now become a personal Life and Business coach. I now help others who are also looking to create change and are starting from right where I was. (A complete “newbie”).

I have also enjoyed promoting affiliate products to compliment my business, and more recently and conjured up new and exciting ideas catering to other niches thanks to the help of newly developed friendships and a couple of excellent affiliate courses.

I have developed a better understanding of others and the problems they face when starting a business… and have been able to dig into my own personal knowledge base to offer many solutions that “I know’ will be of value.

Additionally I have almost completed my first book that will be part of a success series as well as build a decent personal brand online.

The truth of the matter is that if I didn’t start with my personal development business opportunity, I really don’t think that I would have been able to recognize not only the possibilities that are available to each and every one of us, but may have never tweaked my mindset to realize that I do indeed have personal power and the ability to create any changes I desire.

This goes for each and every person who decides to embark on a new venture, regardless of the genre.

I know it has reawakened my passion, added fuel to my fire and filled me with incredible gratitude. It has also enabled me to stick with the whole growing and learning curve and in turn help others by sharing my knowledge to get them started.

I love that I have regained confidence as well and have reached out to make new friends. I have forged so many priceless friendships on the World Wide Web; many I consider true friends for life.

The bottom line is, even if a personal development business isn’t for you, personal development itself will be priceless in helping you stay motivated and inspired to develop the necessary skill sets you will need.

If you can get that simple home truth licked and embrace this reality, it will take you places you never thought possible.

If you feel you need assistance or would like more information on the personal development business that got me started contact me at any time.

Dominic November 20, 2011 at 8:49 am

Hello Jayne
Interesting article! It got me thinking about my choices that I made for my own business. I remember when I used to work in a therapy center; one of my fellow therapists told me that we teach what we need most to learn. At the time, I wasn’t sure at all if he was right! But now I think that if I chose to be in personal development, it’s because I just want a more of it in my life!

Jayne Kopp November 21, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Hi Dominic, Thanks so much or stopping by. I have been frolicking on the beaches of Cabo San Lucas with my kids :-) so have not been on top of my blog the way I normally like to be! (I guess that’s why I do what I do… so I can slack off occasionally! :-)

In any event, I agree with you. We do tend to gravitate to the things we need the most. I needed some ‘self growth’ tweaks… and obviously craved change. I think the human mind and subconscious can be a great leader if we allow it to show us the right direction. Your fellow therapist was right and obviously what he said struck a cord with you too!

Lovely to see you here. Please come again. I am back to the grind now! ;-)

Best regards,

Joyce Oladipo October 26, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Love your story. I started my business for my experience on wanting to get clients to. I went out there learnt everything i can about getting clients and started teaching to other women in business. My goal was to be an expert and share my knowledge.

You were able to find your passion for personal growth through your experience and now you can share your story with other about how you have managed to get your life together.

Passions are born out of experiences. Discovering your passion for work and life follows that same pattern. I’ve never suddenly become passionate about something while sitting around on the couch. If you want to discover a burning passion, then you need to put yourself in a position to have a burning experience. We need to be a situation to discover our passion.

Thanks for sharing this post.

Jayne Kopp November 7, 2011 at 11:16 am

HI Joyce, thanks so much for that awesome comment! Isn’t it funny how we discover our burning passions by the lessons we learn from our own experiences. (Even if the experiences are not all happy and bright?)

We share the same goal. It’s all about helping others out of a predicament and making the necessary improvements so they can lead fulfilling lives. It’s a much nicer feeling than wanting to do “nothing more” than earn.

A. Leigh Edwards October 24, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Very inspiring message! There are miles-upon-miles of possibilities in our life lessons. We just have to be open enough to be grateful for and embrace the journey, then turn the lemons into lemonade. Thank you for sharing your story.

Jayne Kopp November 7, 2011 at 11:13 am

HI Leigh, sorry I missed this comment.

I agree with you, in fact you hit the nail on the head … it comes down to being open and maintaining gratitude for our built in power to make the changes we want!

Lovely to see your smiling face!

Viviana October 22, 2011 at 7:34 am

Hi Jayne, remarkable post! and thank you for sharing your journey of life. I learned HOW TO books and I was lacking something and that’s personal power. I’m working at home and you’re right that working at home is a lonely world. Personal development sustains me to work toward my goal. It’s like that I breathe fresh air when I feel suffocated with too much information from HOW TO DO books.

Jayne Kopp October 22, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Hi Viviana, thanks so much for your kind words.

I know exactly what you mean… sticking your head into learning other skills can be hard work, particularly when you are on your own, working alone.

Taking some time to work on ourselves is a nice break!

wonderful to meet you!

Joe October 22, 2011 at 5:02 am

You should follow your passion for sure!

The personal development business space seem very competitive. If you don’t have passion for what you do I can imagine it’s easy to get discouraged and not want to continue.

That’s the worst possible outcome because if you are passionate and persevere you will eventually rise up from the noise of all the competitors and develop and audience for yourself.

Jayne Kopp October 22, 2011 at 10:09 pm

HI Joe, thanks for stopping by to make a comment.

I found that my passion was personal development AFTER I became involved funnily. Thank goodness it was a good move so I continued on this never ending journey.

sometimes it does happen the other way around… ie: you find passion in what you are doing, rather than following something you already are familiar with.

In any event, I am pleased I landed on my feet!

Thanks for adding to the conversation.

Jeff Faldalen October 21, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Thank you for your transparency and sharing your story.

Its amazing how things come clear in the moments we least expect them.

Wishing you success,
Jeff

Jayne Kopp October 22, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Hi Jeff, lovely to have you on my blog.

It is amazing how some things do become clear when we are not expecting them for sure. I think it’s got something to moving forward with eyes and mind wide open.

Thanks for adding your contribution to my post!

Jym | Ultradian Rhythms October 19, 2011 at 11:40 pm

Makes sense Jayne!

To me, there’s those who are passionate about marketing and networking and they can (more or less) join any MLM or Direct Sales Company.

But others need to find a company or product they are truly passionate about.

Personal Development is a great industry because the context invites Personal Development, and the product supports it!

Good to know a little more about why you do what you do… Thanks for revealing!

Jayne Kopp October 22, 2011 at 10:13 pm

HI Jym, as usual, thanks so much for taking the time to come over and drop a comment. Always lovely to see you.

It is nice that my business is about personal development and that the product supports it for sure. I am also grateful that there are so many other routes to take that are related.

Talk soon Jym!

Stacy October 19, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Another inspiring post from you! :) It really is amazing how having a personal development business can really make such a positive impact on our lives? I have seen it in my own life personally, it helps to keep us calling ourselves higher and gives more motivation for staying on the course. That’s what I’ve found in my experience anyway!

Jayne Kopp October 22, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Hi Stacy, I agree that practicing personal development does add fuel to personal power and adds the necessary ‘sticktoitability’ and motivation for sure!

I think above all it’s healthy and opens our eyes to so many possibilities we might have never discovered otherwise.

Lovely to see you as always!

Justin | Mazzastick October 19, 2011 at 5:24 am

Hi Jane,
I started my Personal Development journey back in 1997 and I haven’t looked back since. Starting my blog and sharing what i know has taken my PD knowledge and placed it into action.

Jayne Kopp October 22, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Justin, I do believe it is obvious that you are committed to Personal development. It shows! Good on you for recognizing the importance so early on.

Brock Blohm October 17, 2011 at 3:25 pm

“Most of all opening your mind to realize that all positive “change” starts with you first is essential.”

You got it! Imagine if you would have said ‘no’ to that opportunity imagine if your mind was closed. Where would you be right now? What would you be doing? How would you feel? I could ask you all sorts of questions.

The reality is that I am sure you are glad that you made that change. Glad that you were open minded at that point and my guess is that you will continue to be an open-minded person for quite some time :) .

Awesome. Glad you enjoy what you do. That’s crucial! Congrats! :)

Jayne Kopp October 22, 2011 at 9:49 pm

HI Brock. Yes I like to reflect on what might have happened it I would have said no to the first opportunity. I know I would be in a different place right now … in more ways than one.

As you guessed…. I don’t plan to switch courses… although I might add a few new ones. Luckily in our field there are many paths to chose from.

Lovely to see you Brock!

Marcus Baker October 17, 2011 at 3:51 am

What a wonderful reply. Thank you.

Well as you were writing about scales above I was thinking… what’s she on about… she’s crazily passionate about scales…LOL and then I carried on reading and understood of course.

I agree it is possible for a love of something, even as obscure as “cement bags” to manifest. I guess when one is successful at whatever one does, there is a good chance that you will start to enjoy what you do too, which is what happened to you with scales.

Actually there are many great spiritual teachers who believe that it has less to do with what we do and rather HOW we do it that leads to fulfilment. In other words the work we do becomes a spiritual practice.

So many people don’t like what they do and then make it worse by focusing on the fact that they don’t like what they do. They fight against it rather than just accept it. I suppose that can be bit of a challenge though.

Yes we are blessed indeed to do what we love Jayne and for that I am very grateful.

Jayne Kopp October 22, 2011 at 9:52 pm

HI Marcus… thanks for coming back! I can imagine that at first you might have wondered what on earth I was talking about! :-) (scales!)

I am glad you saw what I was getting at. I agree with the spiritual leaders and what they say… because they are right!

I am also very blessed to have met you too… along this great journey of ours.

Talk soon!

Jayne Kopp October 16, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Hi Marcus, lovely to see you.

You know… I have preached, yelled, sworn that a business should revolve around a passion.

Weirdly… since going through this personal shake up… or change… or remodeling of thoughts… though I agree that having something you are passionate about is the ‘best case’ scenario… I have started to realize that it doesn’t ‘have’ to be.

ie: The Cement bags! OK… not exciting… at least not at first. BUT… you never know how you would have felt.

You see… I love doing what I am passionate about and I have a feeling I am going to make a few exceptions and go against everything I have said on many a blog post.

As I have already told you… I have been ‘thinking’ and analyzing and looking for ways to ‘change it up’…

I have met so many people who don’t have the luxury of doing something they are passionate about… so I have started telling them to make the best of what they have. (see where I am going)

For example, as you may or may not know, I had a ridiculously successful offline business. It was selling, maintaining and manufacturing industrial scales. Yes “scales’… you know the things you weigh stuff on.

We sold and serviced and even made some that you could weigh anything from pharmaceuticals to airplanes and everything in between. (and I mean everything). (even morgue scales, baby scales, deli scales, processing plant scales)….

ok… I’m getting carried away…((sorry))

In any event… when starting I wasn’t passionate about scales… but I was passionate about being an entrepreneur. Scales were a little… well… boring at first.

Then I started making money… and the love affair began. I loved scales… I still love scales. I appreciate scales in ways most others could never imagine. (ha ha) It was nuts.

so you see, you may have fallen in love with cement bags… LOL… who knows.

I do think that if a person can start with something they are passionate about though, rather than develop a passion later it’s definitely the best choice.

I find it funny though that by carving my thought process to bits and reading a book (that I plan to share on my blog) really had me re-evaluating some of the things I’ve believed in the past.

WOW Marcus – this has turned into a blog post of it’s own.

I have to say though that I feel blessed that both you and I have had the opportunity to delve into something we both love.

talk soon

Janet October 15, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Jayne, aloha. Thanks for sharing your story with us. While I knew bits and pieces of it from various posts of yours as well as comments on blogs, it is nice to read it all in one post.

Congratulations to you, Jayne, for recognizing both that you needed the personal development and that it would be a great business for you. As you know, “success is at the end of your comfort zone” and, from what I know of your experiences, you reach out beyond your comfort zone on a regular basis.

One of the things that I have long said about the NWM industry is that it is a way to get paid for personal development. There is absolutely no way you can be a success in NWM nor, would I imagine, in internet marketing, unless you are willing to grow, change and learn.

Best wishes to you, Jayne, for your ever increasing success and much joy in what you do. Until the next time, aloha. Janet

Jayne Kopp October 16, 2011 at 4:33 pm

HI Janet, it is always such a pleasure to see you and receive a comment.

Thanks so much for your kind and encouraging words.

I would have never guessed that personal development would become such a huge part of my life but I am so grateful for seeing the necessity.

Not only has it helped me grow but opened the door to so many new opportunities and possibilities.

I am quite excited about my new Brainwave. I will be sharing it sometime this next month. I just have to iron out some of the planning … but I can’t wait.

As you say, part and parcel of being online is being willing to grow, change and learn. Boy what a ride it’s been for many of us!

Thanks again Janet for stopping over.

Fred Tracy October 15, 2011 at 11:12 am

Nice article, Jayne!

I know what you mean about being lucky to have found yourself in the personal development business. When I started my website I had no idea how much it would really change my life. Just the fact that I’m so focused on writing valuable articles keeps my mind on bettering myself.

My site has really become like an anchor in my life. It’s quite an amazing thing really.

Jayne Kopp October 16, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Hi Fred, isn’t it funny how our sites and our online life becomes such a huge part of who we are.

The next step though is to keep growing it and shape it into something even better! The growing part is one of the most exciting parts and as I say, there are so many roads to take.

Thanks for sharing.

Melody | Deliberate Receiving October 15, 2011 at 10:12 am

Congrats on all that you’ve accomplished, Jane!!! You’re a real inspiration. I’m about to transfer my off-line coaching online (by the end of the month) and am working on my first real book, so I see you as a bit of a role model. You’ve done what I’m working on right now. Thanks for sharing a bit of your experiences and wisdom here. They are very much appreciated (by me!!)

Huge hugs,
Melody

Jayne Kopp October 16, 2011 at 4:39 pm

HI Melody… congrats on your new plans.

Online coaching is so awesome as it opens the doors to the ends of the earth. (literally) and with todays technology at our fingertips (like Skype) it really is a blessing.

congrats on your first book. I am looking forward to the completion of mine… and although I am not a hundred percent happy with it… I already have ideas for a next one that will have likely and hopefully more of an impact.

Just going through the process quickly gave me an indication as to what is required.

I find that by having something that is ‘yours’ it seems to feed you ideas to take it to the next step.

I am quite looking forward to launching my latest brainwave… but I’ll have to keep you waiting for that! ;-) at least for a few weeks!

Lovely to see you. (hugs back!)

Marcus Baker October 15, 2011 at 3:53 am

I enjoyed reading your story. I believe that a business must revolve around one’s passion and yours obviously does.

I met a guy once who made a really huge amount of money by manufacturing cement bags in Eastern Europe. He was oh so keen for me to join him in business and to be honest it would have been a really good move financially but hello… cement bags???? It just did zilch for me and there was no way I could do it.

Jayne Kopp October 16, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Hi Marcus, lovely to see you.

ok… I’m getting carried away…((sorry))

so you see, you may have fallen in love with cement bags… LOL… who knows.

WOW Marcus – this has turned into a blog post of it’s own.

talk soon