Are You Doing the Same Thing Over and Over Again and Expecting Different Results?

by Jayne Kopp on November 23, 2011

doing the same thing over and over again

Have you ever been in a situation in life when you realized you’d been doing the same thing over and over again…. Yet expecting different results?

I think we can all get caught on the proverbial treadmill in many aspects of life from time to time.

Sometimes our routines become so… well… “routine” that we don’t see the forest for the trees.

I’m not saying that sticking to a routine is bad.  It’s not; in fact it can be very beneficial.

The problem I see though is often the routines will only take you so far and when we feel to be stagnating, we should pay attention and take it as a sign to change things up a bit.

These last few weeks… perhaps even couple of months I realized I had hit a plateau and decided to work on making some exciting changes.  (That by the way is why I haven’t posted as often as I usually do).

I guess you could say I had an epiphany… or perhaps a couple of epiphanies and I just knew it was time to do something a little different to get to the next level.

You see, I started to feel like a bit of a hamster on a wheel.  My business was cruising… not climbing.

It was ok I suppose but when measured against the  work I put in each and every day… (vs. the growth)  It was plain to see that things were no longer working in my favour and gleaning the result I desire.

I seemed to spend the majority of my time writing and posting on my blogs and although I love my community of friends (readers and people I follow)… I knew I had to limit my time on these activities  for a while to get the ball rolling a little faster.

I realized that “tickling” my blog every day was not going to pay the bills. ;-)

I also took a hard look at my primary business opportunity as well, (one that I have enjoyed for four years) to see if it was still meeting my needs.

I’m pleased to say that I still feel passionate about the value it brings and in fact it was the one thing that got me through some very difficult times both personally and financially.  I still know it will do the same for others so I won’t be making any changes in that particular area.

Even though it was worth addressing and I’m glad I took this time, I still felt there was something missing.

Upon further analysis I was prompted to dig down deep within myself and revisit my root purpose and ultimate goal to see if I was still on track.

I realized that through all the growth I had experienced myself, without realizing it, I had come to the end of the ‘incline’.  In other words by doing the same thing over and over again I was no longer getting ‘different’ results in fact I had even managed to get off track a bit.

I had put less effort into marketing activities, my creativity had waned yet I still  felt to be working my proverbial bottom off.

Though it was a bit of a hard pill to swallow, this shift was necessary.

For me the change was somewhat personal.  I had to reorganize both myself and my time in order to implement some new activities.

For others, it may be a little different but likely still boil down to recognizing the need to alter mundane routines and the need to develop determination to do something different.

My significant other (for example) has been on a weight loss challenge for a few weeks.

He hit a point where he felt tired of feeling tired due to carrying 40 extra lbs. around with him. ;-)

Luckily he is a big guy so he carried in ‘ok’ (ish)… but it gets old after a while.  After all, complaining about ‘things not fitting’ won’t do a thing! :-)

Thankfully his turning point occurred when he realized this and the fact he had done nothing to change his eating habits or exercise routine.

When he had his own epiphany, he made the decision to lose weight, get on the treadmill and has even joined Hot Yoga with me! :-)   He also took on the weight loss challenge I mentioned and the lbs. started to roll off fairly quickly.

When he hit 26 lbs however, he  hit a plateau.  It was frustrating at first… that was until he realized he had to change it up and do something a little different once again.

You see, he is on a  ‘shake’ program where he has a shake for breakfast, a healthy snack mid morning, another shake for lunch and a healthy snack mid afternoon.  He finishes the day with a sensible evening meal.

When the weight loss slowed, he decided to start eating breakfast for a while (instead of the shake).  He still had one for lunch but replaced the evening meal with another shake instead.

Thankfully, this started the ball rolling again in his favour!

I’m not saying this change was ‘subtle’ … but sometimes small changes do make a difference.

For me however,  because I’m running a business I have had to put in a little more effort and work quite hard… but not to the point that’s its been ‘earth shattering’.

I made the decision to get better organized and manage my time more effectively in order to fit more into my days though  I did have to cut back on posting to my blog to make way for focusing the things I had put on the back burner.

I also had to take the time to sit down, shut up and be still  in order to think things through.  This allowed me to hone down and re address the reason I’m in this business in the first place.

I was able to  review not only my purpose but also my BIG WHY as well as consider the people I attract in my business and their ‘big why’s’ and needs as well.

Once I got back to basics, I put my blinders on to make tracks in the direction I have always intended to go.

These tasks included completing my Life Coaching Certification and preparing for my exam, completing my Certification as a Self Esteem coach for both adults and children.

I also have a book that’s been hanging on the clothesline for quite a number of months, and I’m pleased to say it will be completed in fairly short order.

Because the lion’s share of my clients is entrepreneurial women, I started a new site specifically to coach them and put together a few affordable coaching programs as well.

I wont say it’s been ‘easy peasy’ but making this effort and blocking the outside world for a while has gleaned impressive results and not to mention boosted my own self esteem and inspiration as well.

Though I have yet not jumped in full tilt on the number of marketing activities I have in store, I have already seen positive movement and just know I am on track.

Within the next two weeks, I plan to finalize these loose ends and then re adjust my schedule once again.

My point here is if you are feeling similar, it will pay to pull back for a while to determine what you need to do differently.  If you’re serious about success, you just have to roll up your sleeves and do the necessary work to make the adjustments.

You will be surprised that other things in life will maintain themselves while you are in ‘shuffle mode’.

Getting clear on your goals and doing new things is always necessary to maintain momentum.

After all, it makes no sense to flog a dead horse and keep on keeping on doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.  You’ll soon realize it does nothing  for your business (if you have one) or your moral!

I found it ironic that while I was going through this realization myself,  a friend of mine, Steve from Ending the Grind had a similar experience and had his own light bulb moment … or perhaps he more accurately had a wake up call. (Or butt kicking… depending on how you take it) :-(

While his epiphany didn’t surface solely based on his own feelings (although he was aware  he wasn’t getting the results he desired) instead  it boiled down to getting a tongue lashing from Penelope Trunk on an interview he did with her.

While I cannot say I applaud her for the way she expressed herself. (At all) I will say I think in a way, she did him a favour to help him put his mind in motion to determine where he wanted to be as well.

You can listen to this ‘rather uncomfortable’ interview here.

I am sure you will feel the same as me… that Steve handled this first class and the fact he had the balls goolies to share it with the rest of us just may have helped others in the same boat.

Sometimes we are fortunate to see what’s missing by ourselves, sometimes it needs to be pointed out by an outside source and sometimes you may even need to get to the point of agitation to ramp up your determination.

The bottom line is, that it doesn’t really matter what it is.  If you are making little progress or seeing fewer results, it’s just important to change things before you become worn out,  discouraged or put off all together.

Tweaking your actions to better manage your time will make a huge difference to taking you to where you need to be.

What do you think?  Have you been doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results?

Are there areas in your life that might need streamlining and changing up a little?  What might you do? Please leave me a comment below!

Jayne Kopp December 14, 2011 at 9:46 am

HI Fred, sorry for the lag in responding. I really DO have to read that book!! (Tim Ferris) … I have SO much reading it’s almost scary… I’d need about three weeks of doing nothing but!

As you say, making changes or altering direction really does add spice to shake things up.

Tisha December 13, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Oh that good ‘ol hamster wheel. Once you realize that you’ve been on the wheel for too long it’s time to get off and change up your routine. I can’t wait until you finish your cert. You will be a great self-esteem coach.

Jayne Kopp December 13, 2011 at 11:58 pm

HI Tisha, lovely to see you. Yes, I think we’ve all been on a long jaunt on hamster wheels at some time or another.

Sometimes we are so busy doing the things we do that it’s hard to break the habit/routine.

I have completed my Life Coaching and received my Certification and I’m just completing my self esteem coaching with a focus on children.

Thanks for your kind words Tisha. It is always a pleasure to see you!

Catarina Alexon December 1, 2011 at 7:23 am

Agree with you Jayne. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is mad as Einstein once stated.

You can however aim for the same result by approaching whatever it is in a slightly different way.

Jayne Kopp December 14, 2011 at 9:47 am

HI Catarina, I agree it’s all about the approach sometimes and though the changes don’t have to be huge, little tweaks here and there certainly can make a huge difference.

Easther November 30, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Hi Jayne

well to be honest I been doing the same thing over and over again. my usually routine. I am trying to change my habbit in way that wil ramp up my business, so I can take it to the next level.

Jayne Kopp December 14, 2011 at 9:49 am

HI Easther, sometimes it takes being a little creative and stepping outside the dotted line doesn’t it?

I wish you nothing but success. Keep going… you seem to be doing well! It isn’t always too long before the Law of Compensation kicks in!

Easther November 30, 2011 at 3:19 pm

you are right, I’ve been doing the same thing over and over again. Been thinking of a way of doing things different way for my business.

Marcus Baker November 29, 2011 at 9:27 pm

The only thing more crazy than doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is knowing you have to make changes, not making them and still expecting different results. LOL I know I have done this from time to time.

Our lives are never ending journeys consisting of change and expansion. We are the drivers so we are the ones who have to take time out to see if where we are driving is where we want to go and if not then it’s time to do something about it.

I have pulled back a lot from much of what I was doing as this is the impulse I have had and which I am following, trusting that all will be well and it is and will continue to be.

Wishing you every success and all abundance as a result of your changes Jayne!

Jayne Kopp December 14, 2011 at 9:50 am

HI Marcus, I had noticed you had your head down and were likely working on a few things. Sometimes stepping back and trusting the changes makes all the difference in the world.

There really must be ‘something’ in the air as I noticed both you and I… as well as a few others are really analyzing the way we do things.

Here’s to a great 2012!!

Viviana November 29, 2011 at 9:36 am

Hi Jayne, your post is a wake up call for everyone to make changes when they find that business or life gets stagnant. Thank you for sharing your real life experience. All the best for you.

Jayne Kopp December 14, 2011 at 9:57 am

Hi Viviana, I think change has to be incorporated into our lives often although we don’t always recognize the need to change things up a bit.

Wishing you all the best. Thanks for taking the time to stop by.

Bob Guzeman November 28, 2011 at 10:00 am

I think variety helps to keep you enthused. So, changing things up once in a while can keep you going.

I found that I need to write more, instead of trying to market. But I’m at an earlier stage than you. Good luck with your coaching and your book.

Thanks,

Jayne Kopp December 14, 2011 at 9:52 am

HI Bob, sorry for the ridiculously late response in replying to your comment! I am still in ‘changing it up mode” so I seem to not be as on top of a few things I do.

Thanks for the well wishes. I just received my results and my certification so I have something solid to work on.

thanks for stopping by.

PS: Still thinking about those cookies….(:-) )

Lou Barba November 28, 2011 at 8:53 am

I agreed with your self analysis…you felt something was missing and took steps to fill the void. There is something as natural as osmosis to confirm the fact that voids need to be and will be filled. Thanks for sharing.

Lou

Jayne Kopp December 14, 2011 at 9:52 am

HI Lou, I’m glad we agree!
Lovely to see you!

Stacy November 25, 2011 at 2:51 pm

There must be something in the air or it’s just that time of year! :) I’ve been thinking a lot about my routines (habits) and how they relate to my success or lack of success in various areas of my life.

That’s why I’m so excited to have my Habit Building Challenge coming up in January. I am actually having quite a time trying to narrow down which habit I want to work on for that month! I’m excited that you’ll be in on the challenge too, I know that you’ll have a lot to offer!

Have a great weekend!

Jayne Kopp December 14, 2011 at 9:54 am

HI Stacy, lovely to see you. As you can see I have been falling behind in some of my regular activities but I’m feeling it’s all starting to pay off.

I can’t wait for the habit changing challenge. I have quite a few on my list and some I am starting to work on now. (There are a few changes up my sleeve!)

Lovey to see you… I’m so glad we had this opportunity to get to know one and other!

Rachael Slorach November 24, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Sounds like you have had an interesting few weeks! Yes, I guess I have been doing the same things and expecting different results (with my business). In fact, during the past week I, too, had had a bit of an epiphany when it comes to vamping up my business and taking it to the next level. Thanks!

Jayne Kopp December 14, 2011 at 9:56 am

HI Rachael, sorry about the late response.

Yes it has been an interesting few weeks… and they continue to be interesting. Growth and change are not always easy, hence it has taken me away from my regular routine … but surprisingly the results have been very worth while.

I think a few of us have had epiphanies lately. They are a very good thing. I can’t wait to hear all about yours.